Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Peugeot 407 front suspension hub replacement?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Sorry, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know the exact terminology but hopefully people will know what I'm talking about here.

I'm just wondering is it common to have to replace the front suspension hub on 2005 Peugeot 407s due to a worn stub onto which the lower ball joint fits?

I've an NCT coming up and my garage discovered a bit of play in the driver side lower suspension ball joint. But said I might need to replace the hub as well :-(.

There's no tell tale knocking noise from that ball joint but I've been told that the NCT may fail it even if there is only a slight bit of play.

The garage replaced this same ball joint for me last year and I've only done around 12000 miles since then. At the same time they replaced the hub and ball joint on the passenger side which had only done 18000 miles because when they tried to fit just a new ball joint there was still some play because the stub was worn. When they took off the hub we could clearly see that it was slightly worn and rusty.

The original and second ball joints on the driver side did around 40000 miles each but there was a lot more play when they were replaced. But they still passed the NCT. I'm not sure if the third ball joint on the drivers side was a genuine part so I wonder if this could have worn the hub or perhaps it's just that the previous ones were left on too long in bad condition.

I've heard that later models of this car have a redesigned hub but I don't know the details. If this will fit my model then maybe it's an opportunity to avoid the expense of having to replace ball joints in future.

A brand new hub is €460+VAT and then there's the ball joint itself (about €90) and an hour or twos labor so it can work out pretty expensive. But it should be possible to get a second hand hub maybe even with the ball joint for a lot less I hope. But I'd like to get the redesigned one if it will fit my car I've heard it's just a case of getting a new track rod end but I don't know when the new design came in.

As an alternative to hub replacement I wonder is there any way to treat the hub stub with some kind of coating that can be painted on or anything?

The car has only done 100000 miles mostly on the main road to work into Galway or on the motor way. I try to avoid back roads as much as possible to try and prolong the life of the ball joints if that even makes any difference I'm not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Isopon

Check out commonsense car parts website. The supply balljoints ect for this car. So you dont have to buy full hub. Delt with them a few times. Great service. They supplied me a back axle bushing on a chevy aveo. You cant buy the bush on its own you have to buy the whole axle. They do the parts that the motor factors dont stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

The stub shaft on the 407 hubs can wear in time with rust/balljoint replacement etc,
    When this happens the new balljoints will just slide up loose where they should be a press/tap up with mallet fit....This is what happened in your case raftejo.

Like you said you have two options...
    1)Second hand removed from a late 2007 407 with the modified hub
    2)New which can work out expensive.

Note in both cases above you will need to replace the track rod end/tie rod as the new modified hub has a larger tapered hole so your old tie rod will be to slopping around in it...:eek:

I have bought a few different parts off Neat car parts u.k. and i have always found them fine..:)
    Note they also seem to supply a new track rod end/tie rod and a new baljoint which is not bad for less that €280 inc delivery.....:cool:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-407-508-FR-RH-SWIVEL-HUB-PIN-WHEEL-BEARING-BALL-JOINT-364797-TRACK-ROD-/330825910387?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d06c2c873

Let us know how you get on...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raftejo

Thanks Row. Wow! €280 incl. delivery for a new hub with ball joint and track rod end sounds great. When I replaced the hub on the passenger side it cost me more than that as the 2nd hand hub off a 2006 407 was €80 and required a new bearing plus the other parts you mentioned. I'm going to contact Neat car parts UK now.

Hopefully it's okay to have the new type hub on one side and the original type on the other and it will be straight forward to swap the ABS sensor from the old hub onto the new hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raftejo

Just a quick update...

I ended up ordering the parts from Euro Car Care in the UK. The hub, ducks foot, track rod end and delivery came to €235 but it was €200 to fit it (including tracking). But hopefully I won't have to replace the ball joint (aka ducks foot :-)) on the drivers side every 30k now at €200 each time for parts and labor + the hassle of it.

Parts bought from eurocarcare.net: (ecc364797 and ecc381766)

Note: I'd post the direct URLs to the parts but boards.ie won't let me as I'm a new user :-(

BTW I took a photo of the new hub just to compare it with the old one in terms of the design change that solves the problem. I could immediately see how the new design is an improvement. When I get a nice dry day I must check the passenger side to see if the second hand hub I got last year is the new design (fingers crossed it is, at least I had to change the track rod end that time too so hopefully that's a good indication). Alas, boards.ie won't let me post pictures or URLs until I've submitted 50 posts apparently.

Advertisement