Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phase 4 Maths Electrical

Options
  • 10-10-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

What maths should you study in preparation for entering phase 4 Electrical Apprentice , any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Algebra and Trigonometry is all you need really

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Oh and learn how to rearrange a formula

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

rilly99 wrote: »
    What maths should you study in preparation for entering phase 4 Electrical Apprentice , any help appreciated

If you passed ordinary level maths in the leaving cert it will be a walk in the park. If not don't worry, they start you off very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If you want to have a quick glimpse of what is ahead of you pick up a copy of this quick google will throw it up somewhere for download(paid of course:o)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Installation-Calculations-Technical-Certificate/dp/1856176649/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412950413&sr=8-7&keywords=electrical+installation+calculations

Now i can say from personal experience if you are taught by the lecturers and you actually understand what it is you are doing these calculations can be very easy but that is a big if.
    Too many fellas i trained with were left high and dry by poor lecturing in my view and that was in two different Institutes where i trained.
    It was me trying to teach these guys coming up to exams because they were at rock bottom due to giving up as they hadnt even grasped the basics.

Phase 4 is a big step up from phase 2 be ready for go from day one full on lectures 9-6 writing all day few printed notes

Bit of advice op do a little every night even if its only 10-20min it does pay off in the end.

Any other questions fire away real talented group of lads on here only too willing to help. Any idea what college your heading for

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

Don't let it panic you. Can honestly say that I have never seen an apprentice that worked hard fail regardless of how weak they were at maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Sorry op didnt mean to come across as frightening you with regards the math side in the electrical trade but it is very important to get the basics right it makes the phase so much easier and phase 6 a complete doddle .

Best of luck and let us know how you fair out:P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

I've said it before on another post but i can't stress how important it is to knuckle down when on block release on phases 4 and 6. There will be lads (who knows why) who only want to mess. Let them at it. It's ****ing sad. Like Crasy Dash said, do 10-20 mins per night and you'll be grand.

i went to DKIT for my block release and the lecturers were excellent, but they don't give two hoots whether you study or not. It's totally up to you but if you have a problem i found that they were only too willing to help.

good luck

Advertisement