Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusal to install my landline

Options
  • 10-10-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Dear Eircom,

It's been 2 months since I applied for a phone line (and broadband) to be installed (via Vodafone), but your engineers are making things difficult (when they actually show up at the appointments).

I live in an apartment just beside a big hotel. On two occasions I had engineers calling over who said they could not install my landline. They want to run the new phone cables through the hotel, using the hotel's main building and their phone system. This is something that this business premises in question will not allow, and they are well within their rights. Eircom wants to use the hotel's phone structure instead of creating a proper new connection from phone cabinet just down the road. There are several houses about 50m from my apartment that have their phone lines. It is just a matter of Eircom doing the proper installation the same way they hooked the houses up. The hotel manager and owner were more than happy to show the engineers where to go exactly and even offered the underground maps, but the so called engineers seem to want to make the installation the easy (but improper) way around.

May I remind you that according to ComReg 05/70, Eircom is the current designated 'Universal Service Provider' (USP) and Eircom must provide telephone lines to every premise throughout the State and access to publicly available telephone services. You are obliged to provide me with a phone line and you cannot force a third party (hotel) to let you use do whatever you want when there is an alternative.

Can you please advise? Will I need to contact ComReg on this matter?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rafaetha wrote: »
    Dear Eircom,

It's been 2 months since I applied for a phone line (and broadband) to be installed (via Vodafone), but your engineers are making things difficult (when they actually show up at the appointments).

I live in an apartment just beside a big hotel. On two occasions I had engineers calling over who said they could not install my landline. They want to run the new phone cables through the hotel, using the hotel's main building and their phone system. This is something that this business premises in question will not allow, and they are well within their rights. Eircom wants to use the hotel's phone structure instead of creating a proper new connection from phone cabinet just down the road. There are several houses about 50m from my apartment that have their phone lines. It is just a matter of Eircom doing the proper installation the same way they hooked the houses up. The hotel manager and owner were more than happy to show the engineers where to go exactly and even offered the underground maps, but the so called engineers seem to want to make the installation the easy (but improper) way around.

May I remind you that according to ComReg 05/70, Eircom is the current designated 'Universal Service Provider' (USP) and Eircom must provide telephone lines to every premise throughout the State and access to publicly available telephone services. You are obliged to provide me with a phone line and you cannot force a third party (hotel) to let you use do whatever you want when there is an alternative.

Can you please advise? Will I need to contact ComReg on this matter?
    Thank you.
    Hi rafaetha

I can understand the level of disappointment and inconvenience this can create however your order has been placed with Vodafone and it is their responsability to update you on the progress of your order and liaise with eircom wholesale on if needed. While eircom do arrange the installation this order it is a with eircom at a wholesale level which I cannot comment on as I would not have the access to any of the details . I'm sorry I cannot offer you better news and It's ultimately your choice should you wish to contact Comreg in relation to this.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

I don't understand the excessive bureaucracy, but I thank you for your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rafaetha wrote: »
    I don't understand the excessive bureaucracy, but I thank you for your response.
    You're welcome rafaetha

I can appreciate your views in regards to this. I'm afraid I cannot offer you better news and I'm sorry about this.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement