Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 5 problem with connecting to Macbook Pro.

• 10-10-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Having a problem with my iPhone 5. I have tried to connect it via USB to my macbook pro as I want to back it up before I get the 6+ with no success. Its not vibrating or charging, nothing. No indication it is even connected to the computer. I have tried the following and still can't find a solution.

1. Tried other USB devices which work so nothing wrong with the USB connection on the macbook.
    2. Tried brothers iPhone 5 with the same cable, connects straight away, so its not the cable or the macbook.
    3. Checked all software is up to date, it is, on both iTunes on the computer and the phone.
    4. Retarted iPhone.
    5. Retarted Macbook Pro.
    6. Plugged the phone with the same cable in to a charger in the wall and it works so the connection on the phone seems fine.
    7. Checked disk Utility to see if I could manually mount it like you would when connecting an external hardrive.
    8. The phone connects to the work laptop.

From what I can see I've gone through all the steps to find a solution but it still won't connect, display or react at all to being connected to the macbook. This is the wierdest thing ever.

I might be missing something fairly straight forward but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Are you on the most recent version of iTunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Zcott wrote: »
    Are you on the most recent version of iTunes?

Ya saying up to date. iTunes 11.4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Stange problem, first thing I would do is try another cable. It could be partially faulty and still allowing a charge but not a sync. The other successful connections could be luck/coincidence. Also check if the port/dock part of your phone is clean. Lastly reverse the cable if one side doesn't work, the other side might.

Cheers fly guy, tried that and still no success. It's very weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I'm no expert and it's unlikely to work but you could try this;
    If you're using iOS 8 or later: To untrust all computers, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This will also reset your location and privacy settings. You can also untrust all computers by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will also reset your network settings.

Basically it resets which computers are trusted, maybe that will trigger something. There are some solutions I googled if it doesn't show in itunes, but those mostly relate to windows and do state that the phone can be seen as a drive, just not in iTunes. That doesnt seem to be the case with your issue.

• Advertisement

Will give those a try when I get home. It is accepting my brothers iPhone 5 so maybe you could be onto something there. It doesn't trust it for whatever reason so won't even connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭sporina

Jofspring wrote: »
    Will give those a try when I get home. It is accepting my brothers iPhone 5 so maybe you could be onto something there. It doesn't trust it for whatever reason so won't even connect.

hi did you have any success with your iphone and itunes on your laptop?

i got a new iphone and i have tried hooking it up to my laptop to transfer some music but my iphone is not coming up on itunes when i open it up…

the phone is charging when i plug it into the laptop but there are no devices coming up?

i had an ipod touch before which i had no problem with on my laptop (lost ot though unfortunately) - any thoughts?

i have done all the relevant updates afaik and i have used multiple usb connection cables..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

sporina wrote: »
    hi did you have any success with your iphone and itunes on your laptop?

i got a new iphone and i have tried hooking it up to my laptop to transfer some music but my iphone is not coming up on itunes when i open it up…

the phone is charging when i plug it into the laptop but there are no devices coming up?

i had an ipod touch before which i had no problem with on my laptop (lost ot though unfortunately) - any thoughts?

i have done all the relevant updates afaik and i have used multiple usb connection cables..

Hopefully this might help http://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202778

Advertisement