Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i need to become self employed?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Ok at the moment im signing on but ive bee given an opportunity of work, it is in construction (stonework) ive been told if im interested and offer a good price that the job is mine, it would be for around 3 months, i would also need around 3 - 4 lads to help me, what do i do next ? Do i need to register with revenue and register as a company or sole trader, thing is there could be no work again when this job is over??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs - OP the folks here can help you understand the legal and business challenges you are considering.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ok at the moment im signing on but ive bee given an opportunity of work, it is in construction (stonework) ive been told if im interested and offer a good price that the job is mine, it would be for around 3 months, i would also need around 3 - 4 lads to help me, what do i do next ? Do i need to register with revenue and register as a company or sole trader, thing is there could be no work again when this job is over??

Call up the dole office and ask them what are your options given the situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

This is a very difficult area, if it is for a builder you will need a C2 cert. Either way, you would need insurance for Public liability and employers liability etc and have to look after the tax etc affairs of the lads. You need proper advice on all aspects!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Seems alot of hassel for 3months work:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DecjKav

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Seems alot of hassel for 3months work:(

Go through whatever hassle it takes. This could be the break you are looking for and may lead to many more opportunities once you know how the system works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Folks are saying that the construction industry is turning around so as Dacjkav said you never know what such an opportunity takes you.

The building up of your reputation for your reliably and doing quality work on time and on budget cannot be underestimated. There is also the fact that you will meet new contacts that can be in a position to give you more work.

Also if you have set everything up properly you will still have that set up to undertake new projects which come your way.

One thing that would be critical is that you properly cost out the work before you quote. A realistic estimate for materials, four guys and their expected salary, as well as a profit level for you to make it worth the hassle.

Good luck

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Ive done a lot of stonework and you would have to agree a price for every 30-40m. I would be reluctant to take on more than two lads, especially this time of year when you could be sitting in the van out of the rain for at least an hour a day. If you could get another good lad willing to work a few extra hours I would try that approach to start with. Taking on four lads including a labourer, is a lot of expense. If there is any delays in payments pull the plug right away or you could get stung.
    If the contractor wants 4 men on the job you would need a payment weekly.

Shamrock55, it will be a lot of work to get it set up properly. If you do decide to do it, make sure you have promo boards up on-site with Stonework by Shamrock as big as you can with your contact details included. Good work always draws new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

The best thing to do is probably to speak with your welfare office and also enterprise board if you have one locally.

After that if you need advice from an accountants perspective, feel free to message me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

collegeme wrote: »
    The best thing to do is probably to speak with your welfare office and also enterprise board if you have one locally.

Enterprise boards dont exist anymore, they were replaced by the LEO

https://www.localenterprise.ie/

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Enterprise boards dont exist anymore, they were replaced by the LEO

https://www.localenterprise.ie/

Sorry I meant area partnerships. Not sure if they are called area partnerships in every area.

LEO is an acronym for `Local Enterprise Office' Weblink as above.

pedronomix wrote: »
    LEO is an acronym for `Local Enterprise Office' Weblink as above.

Yes, It's just that in our area of Dublin the Area Partnership are the ones that accept you onto the schemes and have amazing advice and free workshops.

http://www.bap.ie/keepsocialwelfare

let's hope the OP is in Blanch so!!

pedronomix wrote: »
    let's hope the OP is in Blanch so!!

No they don't descriminate , they are very helpful :)

Advertisement