Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trying different bike styles

• 10-10-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

I reckon someone would make a killing if they set up somewhere you could try a few bike styles or sizes in a closed course.

I was out today doing an insurance assessment/refresher lesson, and it turns out the school bike (an sv650) is a million times easier to ride than the bike I've been riding around (a GZ250).

Aside from engine size, the style and position just doesn't suit me I think. As a learner, it's next to impossible to get a go of a few different bikes and see what suits you position wise. The other thread about test rides applies double to learners.

I'd imagine there's a lot of lads put off riding or who have a bike they don't like because they've no frame of reference. Really struck me because it was genuinely night and day in terms of confidence and handling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Renting them is probably the best bet, but on a learner permit that probably goes out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ok its not testing it .. but have a look on here. Will give you an idea of bike sizes http://cycle-ergo.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Apart from seat height most cruisers are unsuitable as learner machines imho.
    Heavy and slow steering with marginal braking and once they slide they are very hard to correct.
    I had a friend that was taking up biking, his wife bought him an import Honda Magna VT250 instead of a DF200 that was advertised at the time. He has plenty of offroad area to practice on, turns skids etc but opted for a cruiser instead.
    He crashed it after failing his test and gave up biking.
    I am not saying the bike caused him to crash but definately it played a part in it when he lost control and lowsided it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Apart from seat height most cruisers are unsuitable as learner machines imho.
    Heavy and slow steering with marginal braking and once they slide they are very hard to correct.
    I had a friend that was taking up biking, his wife bought him an import Honda Magna VT250 instead of a DF200 that was advertised at the time. He has plenty of offroad area to practice on, turns skids etc but opted for a cruiser instead.
    He crashed it after failing his test and gave up biking.
    I am not saying the bike caused him to crash but definately it played a part in it when he lost control and lowsided it.

Lol. I wonder was that my wife's DF you were looking at? (Orange, very few about)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    Lol. I wonder was that my wife's DF you were looking at? (Orange, very few about)
    Yep, thats the one.
    Pity, he would have had a great time on it where he lives.
    Instead, busted shoulder and given up bikes.
    Lost money on the Magna as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yep, thats the one.
    Pity, he would have had a great time on it where he lives.
    Instead, busted shoulder and given up bikes.
    Lost money on the Magna as well.

We should have kept that DF too. Major boo-boo selling it. Have kids coming up on a 75 & 125 now..... hindsight and all that. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement