Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer

Options
  • 10-10-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I had the standard on/off, bath/sink switch and got an Immermat 31100 timer fitted. Fitter said to leave the switch always on 'on' as the water will only be heated off the timer. Is this correct because I've noticed that the water is staying hotter for longer than what it use to before I got the timer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Do you mean switched to constant on the left, or timed on/off on the right of the unit etc?
    I assume you replaced the old switch and put this timer in its place.

If its constantly on it is on all day and being controlled by the temperature stat on the element thats why your water is hotter than before.

Other way you could have it on the timer to come on at certain time for x amout of time to just heat the water

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ineedtoknow

Hi, he left the old on/off, bath/sink switch there and said to leave that on all the time and that the water would just be heated when the timer settings kicked in. I thought to myself should he not be taking the old switch off as there was really no need for it but then I thought maybe the 'on' wasn now being controlled by the new switch and him being a certified fitter would now better than me but..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If i was doing it i would have removed the old switch but thats just me im sure other lads on here are more familiar in domestic situation im an industrial electrician mainly myself.

Im sure someone of the lads will comment on your post and give their opinion.

Most important thing is you have hot water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Hi, he left the old on/off, bath/sink switch there and said to leave that on all the time and that the water would just be heated when the timer settings kicked in. I thought to myself should he not be taking the old switch off as there was really no need for it but then I thought maybe the 'on' wasn now being controlled by the new switch and him being a certified fitter would now better than me but..........

Id say he left the existing setup and just fit the timer onto the cable (before the cable feeds the old switch). Look at it like this and it might be a bit clearer.

Cable from fuseboard > new timer > old switch > immersion element

Its a bad way (of me) explaining in a way but from above you can see the cable from the fuseboard travels into new timer and the new timer decides weather it sends power to the old switch or not. If the old switch is on (it will send power to element) or if its off (it wont send power to element) The reason the old switch was left in id imagine is so as you could select between bath or sink elements.

Therefore if the old switch is in the off position then regardless what the new timer tells it, the element may remain off until old switch is turned on. Remember the old switch has 2 functions it switches (on/off) and (bath/sink) selection.

There are lots of ways of wiring but that is one way. Its hard to understand from my explanation of above but someone else may be able to explain clearer for you.

Im not sure why water is hotter...maybe the elements thermostat was adjusted or replaced or the timer is heating the water for longer now maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

I would install this way too.. nothing wrong with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

I would install this way too.. nothing wrong with it...

Thanks. I'm just a bit confused why the tank in the hot press is still fairly warm nearly thirteen hours after the immersion timer came on for only 30 mins!! It only really started to cool down after I turned the old on/off switch to off. Maybe it's the government putting extra power into immersions in lieu of water charges :)

Thanks. I'm just a bit confused why the tank in the hot press is still fairly warm nearly thirteen hours after the immersion timer came on for only 30 mins!! It only really started to cool down after I turned the old on/off switch to off. Maybe it's the government putting extra power into immersions in lieu of water charges :)

Check the timer and make sure its set to the correct times etc...seems like a very long time for cylinder to hold water hot but when switch is switched off the water cools?...have you noticed the neon light on the timer coming on when its meant to and going off when its meant to?

Check the selector switch when switched:

Constant on - orange neon indicator light on
    Constant off - orange neon indicator light off
    Timed on - orange neon indicator light on
    Timed off - orange neon indicator light off

Also make sure the 'current time dial' is showing the correct time of day.

Par1, time is correct on it and no lights on now. It came on this morning for 30 mins at 6.00. I've had hot water all day and when I went to the hot press at 4 this evening I noticed the tank was still hot/very warm. I turned the old switch to off and the timer hasn't been on since and I haven't had the heating on either but yet the tank is still very warm but maybe a little bit 'cooler' than before! So I'm stumped!

Par1, time is correct on it and no lights on now. It came on this morning for 30 mins at 6.00. I've had hot water all day and when I went to the hot press at 4 this evening I noticed the tank was still hot/very warm. I turned the old switch to off and the timer hasn't been on since and I haven't had the heating on either but yet the tank is still very warm but maybe a little bit 'cooler' than before! So I'm stumped!

Good complaint for you....great amount of hot water for 30 mins heating :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is there any possibility its a willis heater instead of a standard immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Sounds like cables could possibly be mixed up here and that the immersion is getting a constant feed from the old switch. I would say the time clock is getting by-passed (not doing anything at all). One way to find out is to check the voltage on the immersion terminals when the time clock is off, if voltage is there then the time clock is not controlling it. If you are not comfortable with dealing with electrics get a non contact volt stick and hold it to the cable that is entering the immersion.

Just the standard immersion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Does the timer switch look like this?

3305-4192-large.jpg

Be sure that the switch is in the 'timed on/off' position.

Leaving the old switch in place is a good idea I think, and it's how I wired my own timer. It gives you the option of easily switching from 'sink' to 'bath' and a clean way of switching the immersion off fully. He is right to say it should normally be left 'on'.

Two thoughts strike me though: (a) Did you increase the insulation around the tank?, or (b) are you using 'bath' whereas in the past you used 'sink'?

Either way, if the light glows when the immersion heater is on then you can be sure that when it's not glowing the heat is off. Be glad the tank is holding the heat for so long.

That's the exact one Zen65. No extra insulation and I have only ever used sink as I only ever used the hot water for shower in the am. I'm thinking that it is too good to be true that the water is hot for so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If the immersion was being powered permanently the notice of temperature drop would not be evident, stat would cut in and out unless tank was being checked after say a good tiascian of water was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Unless the timer is faulty you should probably have a look at the manual for the timer to make sure it has been set correctly. It sounds like it is it staying on longer than you need it to be.

aido79 wrote: »
    Unless the timer is faulty you should probably have a look at the manual for the timer to make sure it has been set correctly. It sounds like it is it staying on longer than you need it to be.

Id agree with that. Id get the set-up checked sooner rather than later as if its set up wrong or is constantly on then you may have a hefty next electricity bill. You could try to call the guy that fit the new clock and tell him your concerns. Its a win/win for both party's as you don't want a hefty bill and id imagine he doesn't want it either. I'm sure he wont mind calling back as it will only take him a few minutes to look and your giving him an opportunity to look at it again and make adjustments (if needs be)

Best of luck with it and don't be afraid to call him (or message him)...these situations happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I'm thinking that it is too good to be true that the water is hot for so long!

Try checking it this way:

Observe the flywheel spinning on your ESB meter. Have somebody switch the immersion to 'constant on' and see the flywheel speed increase. Confirm that the LED / glowswitch lights on the old switch.

Switch the immersion to 'timed on/off' and confirm that the flywheel slows down, and the lamp on the old switch goes out.

Turn the timer clock manually through a full 24 hour period and confirm that it only comes on at the times selected by the tabs (each tab is 15 minutes). Leave it at the correct time.

If all that checks out, then everything is OK. No need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Here's another check.....

Switch timer to CONSTANT OFF. Turn old switch to ON/BATH. if you get hot water, then the timer is incorrectly wired/not wired at all.

• Advertisement

So the timer, which had been working ok, last week started smelling as if it was burning after only being on for about 15 mins in the morning. Now, the water is not heating when the timer comes on or when I put it on constant

Advertisement