Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house in Cork

Options
  • 10-10-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Whats the story with Cork this year, trying to find a house in the city to rent for a year or so is nearly impossible. Been looking for the last month or so. Looking for either a 4 or 5 person house and there's sweet **** all going. Down in West Cork for the moment and cabin fever is setting in.

Everything on Daft.ie seems to be gone and have called into home letting agencies but no luck..Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

seashore wrote: »
    Whats the story with Cork this year, trying to find a house in the city to rent for a year or so is nearly impossible. Been looking for the last month or so. Looking for either a 4 or 5 person house and there's sweet **** all going. Down in West Cork for the moment and cabin fever is setting in.

Everything on Daft.ie seems to be gone and have called into home letting agencies but no luck..Any suggestions?

From what I can see the same 4/5 people are putting up houses on Daft and not taking them down when occupied. A person called Marie is doing this quite a bit and its really annoying. I ended up calling her for about 6 places last month and each time they were taken but still listed. You literally need to be checking SUnday evening and Monday morning early to grab a place and be ready to view it immediately, waiting a day or two and being 4th/5th viewing in line is a no go as they are normally taken.

I may know of one this size coming up on Glasheen Road in the next week or two, Ill pm you as soon as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Its balls to the walls type stuff at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seashore

From what I can see the same 4/5 people are putting up houses on Daft and not taking them down when occupied. A person called Marie is doing this quite a bit and its really annoying. I ended up calling her for about 6 places last month and each time they were taken but still listed. You literally need to be checking SUnday evening and Monday morning early to grab a place and be ready to view it immediately, waiting a day or two and being 4th/5th viewing in line is a no go as they are normally taken.

I may know of one this size coming up on Glasheen Road in the next week or two, Ill pm you as soon as I know

Yeah I've tried that Marie one alright once or twice but nothing, pretty annoying alright!

Cheers, if you could that would be brilliant, I'd reward you with a number of beers and a box of chocolates!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Avoid Marie Kelleher at all costs. She's discussed a lot in previous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

My SO and some friends are looking and I would reiterate massively the post above from Faith. Don't think there is a king word to be said so I'll say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember getting place last year and could not be easier.

Heard its getting difficult.

Best luck to anyone who is looking.

Yeah my SO literally just went around one day and visited a couple places with rooms free and got a house. 1 day job, 300 quid a month easy, 10 min walk from town and college, done.

This year, SO just got a place for 350 that's about 25 from college and 35-40 from town.....after over a month of living with now where. And now because it's not a student place, the house is on a 12 month lease, even though its only needed for 8 months. =/

This year is mental and the college and union couldn't be less helpful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Faith wrote: »

She was my letting agent for over a year and I never met her once. Only heard from her when the rent went up. It's fine if the house is good, but any issues and she's like a unicorn.

Nice area http://www.daft.ie/3790080

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Careful now. Many a thread has been closed down due to people descending to personal abuse of Marie. Maybe if it's kept civil the boards mods won't mind a few criticisms.

I've had first hand experience as a tenant of hers. I found her quite unprofessional to deal with and as ninty9er said, if anything needs doing it is impossible to get hold of her. A friend of mine had problems with her getting the deposit back, not because it wasn't owed to him but because she kept cancelling their meets to hand it over (again very unprofessional).

On topic: It seems to be impossible to get anything these days. Two work colleagues of mine have been looking for house shares and when they do manage find something available are competing with 10-15 others (going by the word of my colleagues). We considered moving a while back too but couldn't find anything (2-3 bed house) and a packed in the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Faith wrote: »

this x 100000000000

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    Two work colleagues of mine have been looking for house shares and when they do manage find something available are competing with 10-15 others (going by the word of my colleagues).

They may even be underestimating at 10-15 others, it is manic out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Recently moved back to Cork after a long absence away in Dublin. Got a job here and started looking for a house share thinking to myself 'Ah, shur Cork's a sleepy auld city, there won't be too much hassle about getting a house, not like Dublin anyway where it's always mental.'

Started ringing places off of Daft, got a few viewings and was immediately alarmed at just how quickly places were going. Pretty much as soon as I saw a place on Daft I rang up and organised a viewing, so as not to be gazumped. All the places I visited the letters commented on how they'd never gotten so much attention for houses before, how their phones were hopping. I turned up at one house in Turners Cross to find that it had gone a few hours beforehand. It's pretty mad out there at the moment.

There seems to be a few reasons for this. The economy is picking up, and people are coming into the city for jobs. Also there are a lot of families who emigrated and are moving back into the houses that they'd rented out for the past few years. The people who had lived in them now have to go somewhere else. Some people are waiting on the housing prices to pick up, and are leaving them empty until the price is right. There isn't actually a housing shortage at the moment, just a shortage of houses on the market. Vacancy rates are still very high, 8% in the city, probably higher out in the newer suburbs.

The current rush should drive up prices pretty quickly, then that will raise house values across the board and pull a lot of people out of negative equity, allowing them to sell off their houses and then prices ought to flatten out once there's a lot of properties on the market. I've no idea how long this might take though - several months, a year perhaps.

I got lucky and got a nice place cheap, after ten days looking, which I'm fortunate to have gotten. I get the feeling that you could be two, three weeks or more trying to get in on a house share at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's funny how much it has changed so quickly. Last year (June 2013), we were looking for a place close to the city, with parking, for less than €800pm. There wasn't much there and we kept seeing a house in Turner's Cross that was online for ages. The landlord was looking for way too much for it, at €875pm. We viewed it and bargained him down to €820pm. When we moved out in late July 2014, he let it to new tenants within a week of us giving notice, and I'm pretty sure he's getting around the €900 mark for it now. It's so not worth that! It's a grand house, but it hasn't seen so much as a lick of paint in about a decade, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,169 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really has changed. This time last year I had the pick of 3 houses to choose from.

In saying that September and October are you usually busy months for demand with late Spring/early summer always best.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

We have been looking for a 3 bedroom all year it's impossible to get anything.
    Have had 2 viewings all year even though we have rang pretty much every property on daft but the places that are coming up won't accept pets.
    The place we are living in ATM is a kip.
    The struggle is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whassan25

If you care about your mental health and want to abstain from abuse. Avoid Marie Kelleher of solutions property management in cork city.

It's better to go homeless than get mentally abused by her.

Advertisement