Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Courses

Options
  • 10-10-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I was wondering which business degree from UCD would be most attractive to top firms such as the big 4 accountancy firms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Across the board they're all heavily employed from by the Big 4. If you want to keep your employment prospects broad I'd advise Business and Law (assuming you like the idea of studying law) as you can still get all Cap 1 exemptions (The exemptions for the first set of Charted Accountant exams) while having a good grounding in law. Commerce and Economics & Finance have the advantage that you can pursue a year long internship in a range of different companies including the Big 4 who have about 25-30 spots between them on offer. If you do the year long option (and assuming you don't set a bad impression) you could end up going into final year with a Big 4 offer on the table already and get to avoid the entire grad recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Across the board they're all heavily employed from by the Big 4. If you want to keep your employment prospects broad I'd advise Business and Law (assuming you like the idea of studying law) as you can still get all Cap 1 exemptions (The exemptions for the first set of Charted Accountant exams) while having a good grounding in law. Commerce and Economics & Finance have the advantage that you can pursue a year long internship in a range of different companies including the Big 4 who have about 25-30 spots between them on offer. If you do the year long option (and assuming you don't set a bad impression) you could end up going into final year with a Big 4 offer on the table already and get to avoid the entire grad recruitment process.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking of doing but just wanted to make sure it was a logical decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wouldn't recommend doing a year long internship if you want to go into the big 4, when you go back in on a grad contract you'll be starting from the bottom and will still have to do your CAP2 and FAE as well as completing 3.5 years experience in order to qualify so the year long internship will have essentially been a waste of a year/a year of work instead of a couple of weeks of interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

AdamD wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend doing a year long internship if you want to go into the big 4, when you go back in on a grad contract you'll be starting from the bottom and will still have to do your CAP2 and FAE as well as completing 3.5 years experience in order to qualify so the year long internship will have essentially been a waste of a year/a year of work instead of a couple of weeks of interviews.

It's a pretty handy way of determining if you'll actually like the work instead of committing to a 3.5 year contract and further study while working full-time to then find out you hate it. That said, OP you could do a summer internship with the Big 4 instead and still return to final year with (most likely) an offer on their grad programme. It also turns university from a 3 year experience into a 4 experience which may be appealing to OP.

Advertisement