Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Old lids - What do you do with them?

• 10-10-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Over the years, I've accumulated a few lids that cost over €500, but they're worn out now, just tired lookin, I suppose. It feels wrong just to fúck them in the bin, what do you do with yours?
    I'm no gardener, but I was thinking of drilling holes in them and filling them with a seed/soil mix? And let the nature take its course. Nothin like a flowery helmet :D
    Would it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

I gave half a dozen or so old lids to my local primary school... they were painted up and turned into space helmets for a school play!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

uses-for-old-crash-helmets-quiff.jpg

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

If anyone has a few going cheap id be interested for a little project :)

helmet%20nest_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

I give mine to a mate that works in the Order of Malta. They use them for training new people that may come across a bike accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

djflawless wrote: »
    If anyone has a few going cheap id be interested for a little project :)

What project?

I give mine to a mate that works in the Order of Malta. They use them for training new people that may come across a bike accident.

Cheers man, I came across a bike accident about ten years ago, and bystanders were trying to get the confused lad (hit the lid off the ground) to take the lid off. I told them its imperative to leave it on until he got to the hospital.
    I'd be more than happy to donate my unused lids to the Order of Malta.

Let me know where to send them before I make flower pots out of them:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

What project?

a cd player with speakers in the sides.just a small little project for the man cave!
    car cd player running to a hidden power source where the face of the radio peeks out the face of the helmet and 2 small car door speakers flushed on the sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

You can also donate to them to your local fire station as they use them for training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It will be a few years before I will have an old helmet fit for a birds nest!!!!

• Advertisement

^^
    I know man, but the expensive lids that I don't use anymore,are still good lids, and in all probability I'll never use again,
    I'd rather grow flowers out of them than let them collect dust. (or donate to the fire brigade etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Let me know where to send them before I make flower pots out of them:D
    I'll PM you during the week Skill. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

We donated lids to the mci medical team a few years ago , they used them in their first on scene training . The fire brigade , order of Malta etc will use them for training , they won't go to waste .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm sure motorbike training centers and such would accept them also, for many different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You could send them over to the Americans there seems to be a shortage of helmets over there....no one ever seems to be able to find them in stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm sure motorbike training centers and such would accept them also, for many different reasons.

No way are they going to accept secondhand lids, for liability reasons. Imagine if some guy crashed and got a head injury, could they prove the lid wasn't already damaged when he put it on?

Scrap the cap!

No way are they going to accept secondhand lids, for liability reasons. Imagine if some guy crashed and got a head injury, could they prove the lid wasn't already damaged when he put it on?
    They would though, for practice, i'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Practicing helmet removal? Do they usually teach that in IBT - I doubt it - and they'd have lids already for riding the bikes. If they have old battered lids around the place there's the risk someone will use one for riding a bike by mistake.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement