Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there so a big deal made over body odour...

• 10-10-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭

but not other rank smells like cigarette smoke and garlic? There was a guy in work today who had a bit of body odour. The woman next to me was complaining about it but I found the smell of smoke of her was much worse. Nothing is ever said about that though. Someone comes in stinking of ciggies and nobody batters an eyelid. A bit of sweat and people are making complaints.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Because cleanliness is next to godliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

why would you batter an eyelid?

BO and sweat aren't the same smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Pheromones play a part I think.

People will find certain peoples odour worse than the next.

If someone is talking to me stinking of fags, I'll tell them.
    Their voluntary stench isn't my problem, its theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Stench in any form is equally repugnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Stench in any form is equally repugnant.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I usually don't mind BO at all, only seems to bother me if I don't like the person it's coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't mind the smell of sweat on my boyfriend, once it's not stale sweat.
    It can smelly manly and give me the ladyhorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've never understood why so many people very obviously don't shower daily. You might not notice it yourself, but if you're in an enclosed space with other people (on public transport, in a workplace, etc), and you haven't bothered showering, there's a good chance that they can smell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I smell of old books, pipe tobacco and a decaying barristers wig.

At least that's what the label on the "Gullible, pour l'Homme" (Aldi, 1.99) says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't mind the smell of sweat on my boyfriend, once it's not stale sweat.
    It can smelly manly and give me the ladyhorn.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I can smell yis from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

why would you batter an eyelid?

Burger 'n' a ba'ered oilid, bud. Sound.

Cigarette smoke smells equally horrible. I'm batting some serious eyelids (batting the fook outta them :mad:) whenever I get a whiff of a smoker tbh and I'm not the only one.

but not other rank smells like cigarette smoke and garlic? There was a guy in work today who had a bit of body odour. The woman next to me was complaining about it but I found the smell of smoke of her was much worse. Nothing is ever said about that though. Someone comes in stinking of ciggies and nobody batters an eyelid. A bit of sweat and people are making complaints.

Cig smoke smells absolutely disgusting, and so does B.O. Smokers don't realise how horrible stale smoke is, and the worst is when they think a Polo mint or gum covers it up. Minty smoke is icky too.

Sweat is fine if it's relatively fresh, but stale sweat tipping into B.O. isn't pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

She is complaining as its giving her the goo for knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Have had some horrible experiences of sitting next to smelly beasts on Bus Eireann coaches. The worst smell is a mix of stale sweat and some cheap brand of deodorant like Cien Musk for Men.

Candie wrote: »
    Cig smoke smells absolutely disgusting, and so does B.O. Smokers don't realise how horrible stale smoke is, and the worst is when they think a Polo mint or gum covers it up. Minty smoke is icky too.

Or a bit of aftershave/perfume. Nothing covers it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Have had some horrible experiences of sitting next to smelly beasts on Bus Eireann coaches. The worst smell is a mix of stale sweat and some cheap brand of deodorant like Cien Musk for Men.

Dirty clothes on a clean body is horrible too. That mixture of clean smelling soap and dirty clothes is revolting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There's a guy I know, sadly... I swear, I don't think a healthy human being could or should make a smell like this.

He obviously simply does not bathe at all. The awfulness of his odour is almost impossible to describe. I have, in my time, smelt rotting meat. Rotting seafood. Fetid shít.

None of these smells made me want to wretch.

This guy? Every time. I feel like puking. Awful so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

It's only a matter of time until the smell is wide spread when people stop showering/washing themselves because of the water charges :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

B.O. on men is alot worse than on women due to hormones, men sweat more and smell more. So you if you are gods gift to women, do wash yourself and groom yourself to keep yourself attractive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sweat means they dont wash themselves, which is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

DazMarz wrote: »
    There's a guy I know, sadly... I swear, I don't think a healthy human being could or should make a smell like this.

He obviously simply does not bathe at all. The awfulness of his odour is almost impossible to describe. I have, in my time, smelt rotting meat. Rotting seafood. Fetid shít.

None of these smells made me want to wretch.

This guy? Every time. I feel like puking. Awful so it is.

You touched him didn't you .... you regret it don't you ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The smell from smokers doesn't bother me at all, unless it's stale smoke.

One will only smell of stale smoke if they haven't washed that day, or if they aren't wearing clean clothes.

Same goes for sweat. Anybody can smell of sweat if they've been in a rush or whatever.

Smelling of stale sweat is unacceptable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

Smell of ****e off yiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I know this heavy girl, and she stinks to high heaven some days, fcuking sweat, piss, clunge, sh1t the lot, don't know if this is side effect of being very fat or just poor hygiene, rotten though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

wazky wrote: »
    I know this heavy girl, and she stinks to high heaven some days, fcuking sweat, piss, clunge, sh1t the lot, don't know if this is side effect of being very fat or just poor hygiene, rotten though.

Too lazy to wash herself. Pretty common among fat people.

bb1234567 wrote: »

You smell of sweat after exercise or legging it for the bus or if you forget to put deodorant on to a clean body etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You shoulda told her she has a neck like a jockeys boll1x to be whinging about your man with the bang of smoke off her.

And to go off and brush her teeth.

Absolutely cast iron set in stone guaranteed to shut her up for a few days at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Henlars67 wrote: »

lol ouch

You smell of sweat after exercise or legging it for the bus or if you forget to put deodorant on to a clean body etc.

Mens sweat is worse than womens. Men need to be more conscious of their b.o. more than women. Women's sweat is not normally stomach turning! On the otherhand womens sweat does not have the same repugnant smell as mens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

moxin wrote: »
    On the otherhand womens sweat does not have the same repugnant smell as mens.

My commuting nostrils would disagree :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Women's sweat is not normally stomach turning! On the otherhand womens sweat does not have the same repugnant smell as mens.

Not sure about that. In a previous job I was sat beside an overweight chick who reeked of BO. The bang was stomach churning, so bad that I reported her to senior management.

Of course it's a very delicate situation but sometimes you have to be upfront. Even after a conversation with senior mngt she didn't change her ways. I eventually moved desks.

Maybe ye encountered women who never showered, like extreme cases? Generally men and women who shower every day, men do smell more than women, its natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Id be very cautious about BO. was gf once left me scared since. i cant pin point what it was but just natural smell was nope. so now if i smell any bit on myself its half bottle of axe. I'd rather smell like Citrus than natural odour

• Advertisement

Jhcx wrote: »
    Id be very cautious about BO. was gf once left me scared since. i cant pin point what it was but just natural smell was nope. so now if i smell any bit on myself its half bottle of axe. I'd rather smell like Citrus than natural odour

Did she have time of mth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I was at my course last week after making dinner just before it. The smell of garlic off my hands was revolting. I was absolutely mortified :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I remember encountering some poor lad with some skin disorder...he smelled like cadaver that had been in the sun for a few days. It was really bad.

Hopefully he has since found a solution.

As an ex-smoker, I can say that smokers stink. The ones that wear the same coat for months are even worse...good god.

And a bit of Wrigley's Extra doesn't help...makes it worse, if anything.

bb1234567 wrote: »

Well if that's the case then nobody washes themselves. Is there some way of magically stopping yourself from sweating? Anti-perspirant doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Henlars67 wrote: »

Excuse me? :mad:

I wash myself!!:mad:

No problem with fresh sweat, it's stale sweat that is rank. Also people putting on dirty clothes after showering, why? Oh gawd!!

• Advertisement

Did she have time of mth?

That's definitely a cause alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Mens sweat is worse than womens. Men need to be more conscious of their b.o. more than women. Women's sweat is not normally stomach turning! On the otherhand womens sweat does not have the same repugnant smell as mens.

This is untrue. Female BO is every bit as bad if not worse than men's; it's a different type of smell altogether but it seems to attack the senses more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I was at my course last week after making dinner just before it. The smell of garlic off my hands was revolting. I was absolutely mortified :o

Always wash your hands in cold water if you've handled garlic or onions. Hot water opens the pores and makes the smell much worse!

I don't encounter too many people who stink of BO, in fairness. Bad breath is another story, though....

That's quite possibly the worst smell there is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

RayM wrote: »
    I've never understood why so many people very obviously don't shower daily. You might not notice it yourself, but if you're in an enclosed space with other people (on public transport, in a workplace, etc), and you haven't bothered showering, there's a good chance that they can smell you.

Thats ridiculous. There are things like deodorant. If you're sitting in an office all day you're hardly sweatin like a pig. I'd shower probably every other day a lot of the time and daily sometimes but you do not need to shower every single day religiously. Its not even good for you (skin).

I don't encounter too many people who stink of BO, in fairness. Bad breath is another story, though....

That's quite possibly the worst smell there is....

The reason why I wouldn't date a smoker. As has been mentioned, no amount of wrigleys can cover it up. The smell lingers for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Was served in a shop during the week by a guy who absolutely stank.
    I felt sorry for his co-worker stuck behind the counter with him, and he called him over to check something. I'd say the other guy couldn't wait to get away again.

The reason why I wouldn't date a smoker. As has been mentioned, no amount of wrigleys can cover it up. The smell lingers for ages.

I'm talking more of bad breath from "natural" causes. That rotten food/teeth smell. *Gag* But yeah, cigarette breath is not great but as an ex smoker, I'd be slightly more tolerant of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

What scares me more is now with these water charges, more people will have more excuses not to bother with showering or bathing

rosedream wrote: »
    What scares me more is now with these water charges, more people will have more excuses not to bother with showering or bathing

I can't imagine people who cleaned themselves regularly would just stop, in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement