Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in a REIT versus actual property

Options
  • 10-10-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭

I would appreciate a simple explanation from those in the know on the pro's & con's of investing in a REIT versus in actual real investment properties, issues of being a landlord aside. So yield, tax, risk, ease of entry / exit etc in the Irish context. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The biggest advantages I can see are ease of entry/exit as they are public ally traded (well some are), you don't have to deal with tenants or the prtb, the tax advantages (rent is most likely taxable at the highest rent, minis mortgage interest and some expenses).
    You don't risk having nom paying tenants.

Disadvantages that I can see is them choosing the wrong properties/overpaying, or the reit going bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

Any links on the performance of reits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I would appreciate a simple explanation from those in the know on the pro's & con's of investing in a REIT versus in actual real investment properties, issues of being a landlord aside. So yield, tax, risk, ease of entry / exit etc in the Irish context. Thanks

Worth a read

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61436&p=768125&hilit=REIT#p768125

Wouldn't touch them. The graph in 3rd post on pg 11 worth noting. And the fact many trading at a premium to underlying assets a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tralalala

REITs will move with the market so up and down so I don't see how the chart is a problem

before buying in a REIT you have to know it well, assets, debt, strategy, etc.

You cannot buy a REIT with debt. I would not recommend REITs unless you are an experienced investor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 tralalala

REITs will move with the market so up and down so I don't see how the chart is a problem

before buying in a REIT you have to know it well, assets, debt, strategy, etc.

You cannot buy a REIT with a loan or a mortgage. I would not recommend REITs unless you are an experienced investor

Advertisement