Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coats in car seats and buggies

Options
  • 10-10-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice on what to put my baby when he is going out! He is in 12-18month clothes. As the weather is getting cooler I have been putting on more layers on him. I am worried about him wearing his coat in the car. He has a furry fleece one from next that is not puffy but car seat harness needs to be loosened. Both his car seats are the ones that stay in the car and have a 5 point harness. If I get one/make one of those morrck things what does he wear from house to car? I was half thinking something like this would be better as he would have his hands??
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/POP-ON-Toddlers-Practical-pushchair-stroller/dp/B00GQC1FDM/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_5#customerReviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Afraid this post probably isn't too helpful as I've no solution but Im a big morrck fan, had one for both my kids and loved them but never used them once we moved out of the maxi Cosi seats. It was grand with those seats because child would come into the house in it but as you say when they're older it probably wouldn't make sense as youd be trying to get a coat on after in strapping with defeats the purpose.

The point of my post is to say I don't think the morrck blankets will be a solution anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Millem when my LO was that age in the winter I would always out a hand knitted cardigan on him going out (we have a lady that does all our knitting... She is amazing). They are so lovely and warm and not at all restrictive and in no way puffy or big that would interfere with the car seat. I have one now that my daughter now wears out in the pram since the weather has gotten colder. Will be getting her a couple more for the winter aswell for out and about and in the car going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lad is 6 months but in 12-18 mnth clothes. I have a grp 0-1 seat which is permanently in the car. At home he wears vest, trousers and long sleeve top. The when going out i put on another long sleeve zip up top. So its not a coat. More like a hoody or cardigan (i do the same with 2.5yr old) i generally start the car before leaving so its not that cold but i always have blankets in the car too .
    If im going to town or out i will pop coat on 2 yr old when we get there.
    I dont use a buggy much (more a sling user) but have footmuff and extra blanket . If needed for him.
    But normally he's in a sling undrr my coat so i actually have to take the extra layer off to be sure i dont over heat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I wouldn't worry about what he wears from house to car: if it's really cold wrap him in a blanket going out, but honestly I don't wear my coat in the car I turn on the heating... Baby wears one more layer than me so still fine in the car. Put on a coat whenever we get where we are going and a blanket and off we go (she's just 7 months!). A morrck would be a bit handier than a blanket though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't put anything on any of them from house to car, it's less than 5 feet from my front door, they won't freeze. They have their coats to put on when we get to where we are going then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Agrandsoftday

Children are not supposed to wear big coats in car seats. It has some implication for safety in the event of an accident, god forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Children are not supposed to wear big coats in car seats. It has some implication for safety in the event of an accident, god forbid.

Yes I know that, that's why I am asking the question! The straps won't be tight enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think it's all well and God them not having coats on arriving home and for the two minutes from car to door but there must be a solution out there for when you're going out. Last thing you'd want to be going is trying to get two (or more) kids coated up when you arrive somewhere and it's freezing cold and lashing rain outside!

sillysocks wrote: »
    I think it's all well and God them not having coats on arriving home and for the two minutes from car to door but there must be a solution out there for when you're going out. Last thing you'd want to be going is trying to get two (or more) kids coated up when you arrive somewhere and it's freezing cold and lashing rain outside!

I agree! The other morning it was freezing! I don't turn my car before we get in! I think I might make a "car seat poncho" over midterm and see if it's any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I put their coats over them when they are strapped in first, like blankets. Put them on then when we get to destination.

If anything, I think loads of children are dressed much too warmly. I remember hating being wrestled into loads of layers as a child. Roasting hot and very uncomfortable.

I know we're on the south coast, maybe it's an icebox up in Dublin, but it's not even particularly cold in Ireland. There'd only ever be a few days of dropping below zero a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Agrandsoftday

Millem, the blanket in the link in first post looks great. Not too expensive either. I use maxi cosi car seat foot muff in winter. Baby 8months. I don't take the seat out of the car. Have a big tot in 12-18m clothes too and some 18-24.

Millem, the blanket in the link in first post looks great. Not too expensive either. I use maxi cosi car seat foot muff in winter. Baby 8months. I don't take the seat out of the car. Have a big tot in 12-18m clothes too and some 18-24.

We have britax car seats. I think a car seat poncho would be very handy, basically just pop it over his head!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

a fleece or cardigan is the most mine wear in the car.

Advertisement