Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

• 10-10-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

So the budget is almost on us with the promise of easing the tax load on higher earners. So what else can we expect, I don't expect much else really, maybe a small increase in excise duties on cigarettes and perhaps a minimum charge on alcohol, Other than that I think the first water charges will cover them.
    Anything else you are expecting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Couldnt care less to be honest, what ever it will be we will have to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, it'll be grand

*goes back to watching TV soaps*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I have a massive budgetary bugle on me.

The excitement is only killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fizzy drink tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll worry about it when it's all announced. Wish lists are a futile exercise and second guessing is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tax on smartphones and video equipment for those who can't prove they are employed or are paying their own rent / mortgage.

Cos like poor people shouldn't have a phone with a camera in it.

Progressive taxation, ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Whatever it is, it'll only slightly affect my income because I earn fcuk all anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Do they really think were idiots?

Oh look were in a better place so we will ease taxes.nothing to do with elections coming up?

And they are ignoring the advice of experts not to stop the cuts too much too soon, all for the votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Should increase the dole and free buggy allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Another budget that will no doubt force less rooted people out of the country

I gave up on Ireland years ago.

Once my commitments are are done I am outta here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I have a massive budgetary bugle on me.

The excitement is only killing me.

Trumpets ahoy. Another budget that taxes welfare. Extra taxes on ciggies and alcohol, a staple of the unemployed. Water charges, another insidious clawback on welfare payments. I've a horn on me that would beat a donkey out of a quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Glad i gave up smoking when I did when I think of the budget. Tobacco and alcohol are a given of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Whatever happened to the promises of last year's budget - free GP care for under 5s etc? Looks like they can come up with any old guff if they have no intention in putting it into practice...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Another budget that will no doubt force less rooted people out of the country

I gave up on Ireland years ago.

Once my commitments are are done I am outta here

I'm the same unfortunately. Working full time and doing a degree. Once the degree is done I'm outta here. Despite all my sacrifices I feel like I am treated with an air of contempt by my Government. Cant see any of that changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I've a horrible feeling thay are going to go after motor tax again. My car is before 2008 so it will be pretty painful if they add another 50 to the nearly 400 i already pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I hope they increase the dole. In reality it's difficult to live on it, regardless of what Independent readers think.

Independent/think. There's an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

Ebola for all! Along with a hidden tax somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

galah wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the promises of last year's budget - free GP care for under 5s etc? Looks like they can come up with any old guff if they have no intention in putting it into practice...:mad:

I'm happy that didn't happen. Stupid idea to give it to all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Yep, the government would probably welcome Ebola to come into Ireland and spread, to cut the budget deficit. Have a load of people dying of the disease to reduce the numbers on social welfare and have some new job positions open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ebola Tax, presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

A mobile phone permit would probably come in and only people above 75,000 euro PA would qualify for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭blackbullet

I hope they dont increese the price on perscriptions its now 1.50 per item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I hope they do. If you live in Germany and pay 10% of your income in health insurance. You still have to pay €5 co-payment for a basic prescription. It stops people getting prescription they don't need ( Irish doctors tend to prescribe medicines you don't really need). People on medical cards need to contribute more to the health system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hope they increase the dole. In reality it's difficult to live on it, regardless of what Independent readers think.

Independent/think. There's an oxymoron.

Are you on the dole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Do they really think were idiots?

Oh look were in a better place so we will ease taxes.nothing to do with elections coming up?

And they are ignoring the advice of experts not to stop the cuts too much too soon, all for the votes.

It's all a balance. Throughout the whole financial crises, right up to now, we have been spending more than we have. The government hasn't had a surplus since 2007. That's why it's weird to hear people talk about reducing the cutbacks.We were ****ed and we are still ****ed.

I do think that some lessening of taxes is a good thing. It inspires public confidence and that is important. I'm not sure about this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's already €2.50.

Grayson wrote: »
    It's all a balance. Throughout the whole financial crises, right up to now, we have been spending more than we have. The government hasn't had a surplus since 2007. That's why it's weird to hear people talk about reducing the cutbacks.We were ****ed and we are still ****ed.

I do think that some lessening of taxes is a good thing. It inspires public confidence and that is important. I'm not sure about this though.

It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way. That really worked out well for Labour. Only option left for them is to buy the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way. That really worked out well for Labour. Only option left for them is to buy the next election.

Grand, I'll take the dole up to €200 even and my Christmas bonus back - that's the price of my vote, Joan.

Grand, I'll take the dole up to €200 even and my Christmas bonus back - that's the price of my vote, Joan.

You'll probably get it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I'm happy that didn't happen. Stupid idea to give it to all of them.

That's beside the point (although it would be great if you didnt have to worry whether you can actually afford to bring your kids to see a doctor if you're not poor enough for a medical card but not rich enough not to care about 60 quid just in case this rash/cough/whatever is something more sinister...). The point is government announced this measure in the budget and then completely ignored it, and that's not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

That's beside the point (although it would be great if you didnt have to worry whether you can actually afford to bring your kids to see a doctor if you're not poor enough for a medical card but not rich enough not to care about 60 quid just in case this rash/cough/whatever is something more sinister...). The point is government announced this measure in the budget and then completely ignored it, and that's not on.

They should reverse the massive increases in student fees as well considering they got a lot of votes because they signed a contract saying they would reverse the 250 euro increase Fiana Fail made. They increase it 250 every year, how is the "knowledge economy" going to grow if graduates are too broke to start their own companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What ever token cut they make in incone tax will be taken back again in water charges and the countless stealth taxes they'll increase such as the old faithful a like alcohol cigarettes and petrol/diesel. No one will be better off after it as this government are not in the business of looking after the people of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

corkonion wrote: »
    So the budget is almost on us with the promise of easing the tax load on higher earners.

Reduction in higher tac band is not exclusively a sop to "higher earners".

Agree though, it will be nullified by the water charges, on top of USC and property tax.

Take in more cash is a good solution to the problem

Take in more cash is a good solution to the problem

Exactly.

That's why I'm looking for a tripling of social welfare payments.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

That's why I'm looking for a tripling of social welfare payments.

Have 3 kids, simples. Its not called the rock and roll for nothing.

Oh yeah, I agree with everything you posted, especially the last part. Giving it to all of them is what I've an issue with. A subsidised rate for all children under, say, 12 would be a better idea in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Baa baaa baaa

They should reverse the massive increases in student fees as well considering they got a lot of votes because they signed a contract saying they would reverse the 250 euro increase Fiana Fail made. They increase it 250 every year, how is the "knowledge economy" going to grow if graduates are too broke to start their own companies.

I think the current price is quite fair. If you apply for a grant but are below the income threshold for a full grant you can still get a portion of the registration fee paid for you by SUSI (the grants agency if you don't know). Very few graduates would actually start their own companies straight anyway, the majority would work for someone else for a number if years, build up their experience and then start a business.

I'm far from the type of person who thinks that the state shouldn't offer financial aid to its citizens, but if you can afford something I think you should pay for it, but at a subsidised rate if you can't afford the full fee. Only those who really can't afford (as in, it would drive them to poverty if they had to spend any money) important services should have the state should pay in full. Personally I think the likes of free travel should involve a small charge, even something nominal; say, 5 euro from Cork to Dublin on a train, 50c for a city (as in, from one part of a city to another) bus or something. I think every public service should have a small fee for the disadvantaged unless in exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What ever token cut they make in incone tax will be taken back again in water charges and the countless stealth taxes they'll increase such as the old faithful a like alcohol cigarettes and petrol/diesel. No one will be better off after it as this government are not in the business of looking after the people of this country.

People have the power in their hands if they would only realise it. Not some government that lost its mandate three+ years ago. If enough people decided enough was enough then parasitical organisations/clubs like Fine Gael would crash and burn within weeks. The political establishment and it's bandwagon in this country is toxic, it is poisonous, it is a malevolent parasite. There will be no positive change here until the likes of FG, FF and their various sidekicks disappear forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

People have the power in their hands if they would only realise it. Not some government that lost its mandate three+ years ago. If enough people decided enough was enough then parasitical organisations/clubs like Fine Gael would crash and burn within weeks. The political establishment and it's bandwagon in this country is toxic, it is poisonous, it is a malevolent parasite. There will be no positive change here until the likes of FG, FF and their various sidekicks disappear forever.

We spend half our time complaining about FG/FF monopoly on our government but a viable 3rd major party has never emerged.

That must mean that the masses actually like FG/FF...which I suppose is what a democracy is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Spoken like a true defeatist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Force all the "single" and non working parents of school going children back into the work force at least on a part time basis,no incentive to work at present, only one to get the sack and live the life of a welfare sponger!

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Force all the "single" and non working parents of school going children back into the work force at least on a part time basis,no incentive to work at present, only one to get the sack and live the life of a welfare sponger!

When there's 28 people unemployed per each job available, where will these jobs come from? And who will employers choose - the single mum who can't be flexible because she has kids, who has been out of the workforce, or the experienced, flexible person with no kids?

When there's 28 people unemployed per each job available, where will these jobs come from? And who will employers choose - the single mum who can't be flexible because she has kids, who has been out of the workforce, or the experienced, flexible person with no kids?

Where in my post did I mention mothers???I specified PARENTS,this must be an issue close to you as I have seen you attack similar posts in the past

Where in my post did I mention mothers???I specified PARENTS,this must be an issue close to you as I have seen you attack similar posts in the past

I'm not a parent, I'm not single, I have a job and I'm infertile, so nope, not an issue close to me. Nice to see you're making assumptions based on my use of the word 'mother,' rather than address the point I made though.

I'm not a parent, I'm not single, I have a job and I'm infertile, so nope, not an issue close to me. Nice to see you're making assumptions based on my use of the word 'mother,' rather than address the point I made though.

Plenty of job bridge placements out there part time courses etc,I work myself but welfare is a career choice to some people, yet you seem to have no issues defending that, if you want an argument on the issue I'll gladly entertain you in pm,not on the open thread

Plenty of job bridge placements out there part time courses etc,I work myself but welfare is a career choice to some people, yet you seem to have no issues defending that, if you want an argument on the issue I'll gladly entertain you in pm,not on the open thread

I have no issues defending life time dole claimants? Dunno where the hell you got that from.

The rate iof 'unemployable' people was approx 4% during the boom, hardly a high figure.

You said nothing about jobridge or courses, you said that single parents should be sent out to work.

I've asked, and you've failed to answer, where these jobs will come from when there are 28 unemployed people per single job opening at the moment?

Aye there's loads, I applied to all the ones relevant to my field and didn't even get a PFO from any of them. Literally offering to work for them at no cost, so I'm sure looking for an actual paid position is going to be even easier.

Aye there's loads, I applied to all the ones relevant to my field and didn't even get a PFO from any of them. Literally offering to work for them at no cost, so I'm sure looking for an actual paid position is going to be even easier.

What is it you do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement