Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's still on RTE 2

Got Oireachtas Live on - some guy with curly hair talking now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

awec wrote: »

The angry man was on before the curly haired man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea the smaller parties/technical groups only get 5 mins each apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

RBB finished he was on before curly pringle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

That broadsheet calculator is way off for me...I hope. It has me 200E worse off than my normal pay. I blame choosing the advanced calculator to account for health insurance, pension contributions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Have only heard about some stuff through twitter, but what I've heard so far is one pretty big facepalm.

Do we're apparently totally out of recession! Wahey! That's news to my pockets.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Have only heard about some stuff through twitter, but what I've heard so far is one pretty big facepalm.

Do we're apparently totally out if recession! Wahey!

If you're watching RTE News that'd be the impression alright.. falling over themselves here to make this look positive. Won't help that girl in Cork who has to leave her rented accommodation because she can't afford it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

You can't be eating too well on 20 euro
    Nah, I actually eat fairly well.

Here, this is a sample budget covering all the essentials (some last more than a week):
    Loaf of bread - 70c, Pasta - 1.50, Brown Rice - 1.50, Porridge - 1, Bottle of milk - 1.50, Cheese - 80c, Pack of rich tea biscuits - 30c, (4)Chicken Fillets - 2.50, (4)Beef burgers - 2.50, (10)Eggs - 1.79, Frozen Veg 1.50, Apples - 1.50, Margarine- 1.50, (2 cans)Sardines - 1.50, Greek Yogurt - 65c.

Thats about 20 euro and it does me fine. I do buy a fair amount of sweets though, but it still ends up around 20 euro when you take out certain things (margarine, pasta, brown rice etc.all last a while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Boyd-Barrett was a car crash. He looked at his watch, seen that he got his prime time moment at 6pm and then couldn't get through 2 words without saying "eh" "eh" "eh" :pac:. The rest of them didn't try and grandstand and sounded reasonable. Even the new guys who would have been nervous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Gongoozler wrote: »

Do we're apparently totally out if recession! Wahey!

when they say 'we' they actually mean it literally. themselves. the recession is still here for the rest of us, doesnt matter what the figures say.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

And here is the smart man Mr Murphy. All the talk though won't make shred bit of difference. Fg lab ff bankers rich EU politicans, rich Americans,indians etc.. laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That FF lad looks seriously bored

Paul Murphy talks nonsense but he actually speaks well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Here, this is a sample budget covering all the essentials (some last more than a week):
    Loaf of bread - 70c, Pasta - 1.50, Brown Rice - 1.50, Porridge - 1, Bottle of milk - 1.50, Cheese - 80c, Pack of rich tea biscuits - 30c, (4)Chicken Fillets - 2.50, (4)Beef burgers - 2.50, (10)Eggs - 1.79, Frozen Veg 1.50, Apples - 1.50, Margarine- 1.50, (2 cans)Sardines - 1.50, Greek Yogurt - 65c.

Thats about 20 euro and it does me fine. I do buy a fair amount of sweets though, but it still ends up around 20 euro when you take out certain things (margarine, pasta, brown rice etc.all last a while)

OT but I wouldn't call that very healthy (I'm aware you said 'well' but I'm taking that to mean healthy). Certainly won't go hungry though if that's what you meant.

crannglas wrote: »
    And here is the smart man Mr Murphy. All the talk though won't make shred bit of difference. Fg lab ff bankers rich EU politicans, rich Americans,indians etc.. laughing all the way to the bank.

Yep, the minute Howlin sat down the rest was just waffle for the cameras/constituents

We're done for another year.. next year will be a "proper" giveaway though as they'll be thinking of GE 2016

• Advertisement

He got a round of applause. Very rarely see that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Mary Lou - we don't want to tax the wealthy out of spite... Pffft yeah sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

A very decent and measured budget if you believe in the idea of progressive taxation. Those in the middle have gotten some relief for the sacrifices they have made. A huge rump of society feels every so slightly better this evening.

Won't appease the loony left though. The money grows on trees brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A very decent and measured budget if you believe in the idea of progressive taxation. Those in the middle have gotten some relief for the sacrifices they have made. A huge rump of society feels every so slightly better this evening.

Any relief these people got is being taken straight back with Water Charges. Did you do the maths ?

lol i cant believe you fell for this. Its give with one hand and take with another.

The middle have gained next to feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's too bad? If they're putting buying cigarettes before feeding their family they're not fit to be parents
    And what has that got to do with what I said? Its an addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Sugar Free wrote: »
    OT but I wouldn't call that very healthy (I'm aware you said 'well' but I'm taking that to mean healthy). Certainly won't go hungry though if that's what you meant.
    I'm not a fussy eater so maybe in my point of view thats me eating well hah. I don't drink either so that saves me a fair amount every week too.

Again, its only a sample budget so I don't eat those exact things every week, its just to show it can be done.

Nothing does or will.

The budget was mainly fine and largely as expected.

listermint wrote: »
    Any relief these people got is being taken straight back with Water Charges. Did you do the maths ?

lol i cant believe you fell for this. Its give with one hand and take with another.

Many of the middle will still be quids in even with water charges coming.

These loony left parties get all hot under the collar unless those who contribute the least get to contribute even less.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep, the minute Howlin sat down the rest was just waffle for the cameras/constituents

We're done for another year.. next year will be a "proper" giveaway though as they'll be thinking of GE 2016
    They thought they could win the two by elections with their promise of their Christmas bonus lol I believe enough people feel burned to vote them all out in next GE. Can't come soon enough for me. No other country in EU has same cost of living that is higher than the minimum wage. Government is a joke.

a decent and progressive budget would be one that pulls the more vunerable (both social recipients AND low paid workers) out of poverty while at the same time making it easier for small/medium business and enterprise to get off the ground and look to future job creation.

this was a budget of short term appeasement. nothing more.

Maybe this lad can get a hair cut with his money from USC

Water charges have been signalled for a long time. Before today €x was going to be an extra expense for householders. After today €x is still there, as expected, but with some relief available and with tax savings on top for everyone

Seriously, a tshirt and a pair of jeans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Try some of that frozen Cod or Haddock in breadcrumbs from Lidl. It's lovely done under the grill.

a decent and progressive budget would be one that pulls the more vunerable (both social recipients AND low paid workers) out of poverty while at the same time making it easier for small/medium business and enterprise to get off the ground and look to future job creation.

this was a budget of short term appeasement. nothing more.

Can't do both horse. Can't be giving those who don't have work more, while also giving breaks to the middle. The figures just don't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The main thing i'm taking away from this is this tidbit from Noonan

"These changes enhance the progressivity of our income tax system with the top 1% of income earners now paying 21% of all income tax and USC collected. In contrast, the bottom 76% of income earners will pay 20% of the total,"

So then middle income earners which compose 23% of the country are paying 59% of the income tax and USC so far as i'm concerned that 76% can quit complaining they are carrying the country and the brunt of everything when they quite blatantly aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

thats some misplaced vindictiveness right there :rolleyes:

you have an entire class of people living in (or exiled from) this country that are living the life and paying next to nothing in return...

but yea, those smokers deserve everything they get. imagine the cheek of them getting addicted to a product who's industry has billions of dollars put into the psychological tactics of getting people addicted.

No such thing as addicted to smoking. It's all will power and in the head

Maybe this lad can get a hair cut with his money from USC

That's Mick Wallace.

He's the guy who admitted to falsely declaring his income to Revenue by over a million euro.

Yes, the idea of him pontificating in the Dail is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What do people class a lower paid , middle income and higher earners as a matter of interest

Uriel. wrote: »
    Water charges have been signalled for a long time. Before today €x was going to be an extra expense for householders. After today €x is still there, as expected, but with some relief available and with tax savings on top for everyone

Short term relief means nothing when it will be removed in 18 months time. Its just spin to get people to sign up. To say this budget is one of giving back and cuts for all is total crap. Very few will come out rosy on this. Little gains more of the same.

Would someone ever shoot that fecker Shirley Temple in his green vest.

Seriously, a tshirt and a pair of jeans?

I presume it's that voice of the common man, Wallace?

What a disgusting shyster. The very definition of a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

What do people class a lower paid , middle income and higher earners as a matter of interest

Lower <25K
    Middle <75K
    High >75K

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Shane Ross up next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To be fair, the money raised via water charges won't be going towards the exchequer.. so it's not really correct to say that they're giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Many of the middle will still be quids in even with water charges coming.

Can you explain this as I am genuinely not seeing how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Lower <25K
    Middle <75K
    High >75K

Some difference in a middle income earner earning 30k and 60k in reality.

Short term relief means nothing when it will be removed in 18 months time. Its just spin to get people to sign up. To say this budget is one of giving back and cuts for all is total crap. Very few will come out rosy on this. Little gains more of the same.
    To sign up? Meh, water charges are here, and aren't going away. Just like most other countries in the EU and as required under EU Law.

Nobody lost today, did they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most people on AH are deluded enough to see themselves as middle income earners by the looks of it :pac:

Despite Ireland having one of the highest rates of low paying jobs in the world :rolleyes:

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1028223.shtml

eamonnq wrote: »

"Quids in" I guess is about an extra 8-14 quid a week according to Noonan on RTE at the minute

• Advertisement

To be fair, the money raised via water charges won't be going towards the exchequer.. so it's not really correct to say that they're giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

Oh jesus.

There is nothing "to be fair" in that statement. Are you seriously taking the onus of the government for their implementation of the private entity that is irish water. Hand washing at is best. You must work in the dept.

Uriel. wrote: »
    To sign up? Meh, water charges are here, and aren't going away. Just like most other countries in the EU and as required under EU Law.

Nobody lost today, did they?

What about USC and VRT at the rates we pay, is that in other countries?

eamonnq wrote: »

The reduction in tax burdens after today is equal to expected water costs, or indeed better, depending on individual circumstances

No such thing as addicted to smoking. It's all will power and in the head

despite the billions spent and billions of people addicted proving the contrary? yea.. its just 'in the head'.

What about USC and VRT at the rates we pay, is that in other countries?

Tax relief on bin charges is also gone this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement