Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

Comments

What is it you do.

Not much. :pac: Just a recent graduate. 1 person from my class got temporary work over the summer, the rest are either leaving or have the same part-time job they had while in college. It's somewhat disheartening to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Aye there's loads, I applied to all the ones relevant to my field and didn't even get a PFO from any of them. Literally offering to work for them at no cost, so I'm sure looking for an actual paid position is going to be even easier.

Must vary from county to county then,the 2 counties I've been between in recent years I've had offers without experience, even now when I am in a job the offers not relevant to my current position keep coming,plus look at websites for courses,jobs etc,they are out there but it's whether the people want them is the flip side of it,and for the record I only get the equivalent of a person doing a jobbridge scheme so i ain't on big money by no means but at least I can set a good example for my own kids by going out working rather than taking state handouts for the rest of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Not much. :pac: Just a recent graduate. 1 person from my class got temporary work over the summer, the rest are either leaving or have the same part-time job they had while in college. It's somewhat disheartening to say the least.

Did you get work experience while studying. I graduated during the boom time - it took 9 months to get anything remotely connected to my degree. In college, we were told nothing about how important it is to have work experience in your chosen field. Employers aren't really interested in your education. They want to know what you can do for them.

I have no issues defending life time dole claimants? Dunno where the hell you got that from.

The rate iof 'unemployable' people was approx 4% during the boom, hardly a high figure.

You said nothing about jobridge or courses, you said that single parents should be sent out to work.

I've asked, and you've failed to answer, where these jobs will come from when there are 28 unemployed people per single job opening at the moment?

28/1?where did you get that figure from? Or did you pull it out of your arse?

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Must vary from county to county then,the 2 counties I've been between in recent years I've had offers without experience, even now when I am in a job the offers not relevant to my current position keep coming,plus look at websites for courses,jobs etc,they are out there but it's whether the people want them is the flip side of it,and for the record I only get the equivalent of a person doing a jobbridge scheme so i ain't on big money by no means but at least I can set a good example for my own kids by going out working rather than taking state handouts for the rest of my life

There's basically nothing in my field outside of Dublin, Cork and Galway, and I'm willing to move. Don't give me the "if people want them" rubbish, I'm applying for everything I come across but the fact there's a good 500 state workers who've been let go in the last few years with experience probably leaves me with not much chance.
    I've also applied for actual paid jobs in office work and the like locally and nothing.
    As for courses, there's not a whole lot worth doing. Wasting 3 months "learning" how to use Office doesn't exactly seem like a sensible way to spend my time.

Did you get work experience while studying. I graduated during the boom time - it took 9 months to get anything remotely connected to my degree. In college, we were told nothing about how important it is to have work experience in your chosen field. Employers aren't really interested in your education. They want to know what you can do for them.

No work experience during degree, no.
    What can I do for them? Hmm, you mean like maybe a CV listing my skills and competencies?

There's basically nothing in my field outside of Dublin, Cork and Galway, and I'm willing to move. Don't give me the "if people want them" rubbish, I'm applying for everything I come across but the fact there's a good 500 state workers who've been let go in the last few years with experience probably leaves me with not much chance.
    I've also applied for actual paid jobs in office work and the like locally and nothing.
    As for courses, there's not a whole lot worth doing. Wasting 3 months "learning" how to use Office doesn't exactly seem like a sensible way to spend my time.

I'm between Cork and Clare, plenty here,but the "rubbish" as you call it I will continue to give because even if a minority it's still true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I've a horrible feeling thay are going to go after motor tax again. My car is before 2008 so it will be pretty painful if they add another 50 to the nearly 400 i already pay.
    Id doubt they will interfere with motor tax, particularly for pre 2008 cars...

No work experience during degree, no.
    What can I do for them? Hmm, you mean like maybe a CV listing my skills and competencies?

Be creative with you cv, very creative. You may need to be inventive also. Do what it takes to get yourself in the door.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Id doubt they will interfere with motor tax, particularly for pre 2008 cars...

Abolish the legislation for the emissions based tax system, that will balance things a bit,my boss's car tax for a year is the same as mine for 3 months,but the government has eyes only for election 2016 in this and the next budget

Be creative with you cv, very creative. You may need to be inventive also. Do what it takes to get yourself in the door.

Like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    I'm between Cork and Clare

Are you ashamed to say Limerick?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Abolish the legislation for the emissions based tax system, that will balance things a bit,my boss's car tax for a year is the same as mine for 3 months,but the government has eyes only for election 2016 in this and the next budget

I have a 2.5L that I pay E1080 for per year, as much as the motor tax system is a joke, at least we have the choice of what we drive. Also those who have newer cars and getting their "cheap tax" are often losing thousands a year on depreciation, so the "cheap tax" wouldnt be much of a concern to me, they were often driving 2L or sub that cars on CC, not like they were paying a fortune in the first place...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Like what?

Break into the place during the night and be sitting there bollix naked when your prospective employers show up in the morning.

That's an attention getter

Like what?

Make stuff up but have referees that will back it up for you.

• Advertisement

Break into the place during the night and be sitting there bollix naked when your prospective employers show up in the morning.

That's an attention getter

Yeah to be honest I can't think of much else I can do within the bounds of the law. I guess your idea of B+E and sexual harassment is probably better than outright threats.

Make stuff up but have referees that will back it up for you.

Like the 5 years of Modern Tap I did in New York?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Aww if only it was an Antique Tap.....

Whatever works. Believe me if you can pull it off, it will get you where you need to go.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Are you ashamed to say Limerick?? :p
    i should have specified I live in Clare but am from and regularly return to Cork :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

TheZohan wrote: »
    Are you on the dole?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Yes.

How difficult is it though? I'm not saying it should be torture, but I don't think it should be that easy to live on either. Not trying to rile you up or anything btw. I support the idea of social welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Just amagine yourself living on 188 per week. I know I'd find that very difficult. Remember that not everyone can get rent allowance and dole for u25's is a good bit less than 188.

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Just amagine yourself living on 188 per week. I know I'd find that very difficult. Remember that not everyone can get rent allowance and dole for u25's is a good bit less than 188.

Dole for u25's is ridiculous, 100 euro a week would go nowhere.

I'm only a first year student, I can't really imagine the whole 188 a week thing because I've never had to live independently (not a mammy's boy :rolleyes:).

Dole for u25's is ridiculous, 100 euro a week would go nowhere.

I'm only a first year student, I can't really imagine the whole 188 a week thing because I've never had to live independently (not a mammy's boy :rolleyes:).

When the 100 euro a week was announced it was basically telling u25's to get one of the very limitied jobs available or pack your bags and get out of here.

When the 100 euro a week was announced it was basically telling u25's to get one of the very limitied jobs available or pack your bags and get out of here.

Yep, I agree. The only positive I can see from it is that it may have made some people enter third level education who otherwise wouldn't have.

If they had the money to do that!

If they had the money to do that!

I've known people who've done it, although I agree it wouldn't be feasible for some due to financial constraints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The reality of the situation is the people on the dole are a very wide group who come from various backgrounds and don't always have the means to survive, let alone live reasonably well on the dole.
    Yes, it's meant to tide you over till you get a job or another job but realistically it's a joke for a lot of people.

It's nice that some people can live on 188 euro, get drunk every night and go to the bookies. It really is. Not everyone has that luxury. It is a luxury, BTW.

Some people don't get any of the other benefits for various reasons. Whether they qualify or not and if they don't. they don't like the idea of fiddling the welfare by lying. So you have people who quite honestly have no means of escape.

The fact there are less jobs and more internships for 50 euro extra is also a problem. But that's another topic altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

they'll announce hundreds of millions of savings from HSE/Education/Welfare etc etc. , at the end of the budget when everyone is asleep they'll announce increases to stealth taxes( increase land fill costs per tonne etc. ) while reducing the top rate of tax.

As per every other year the "savings" they announce never materialise and tax payers save the day.

They should increase the rate that people start paying 52% tax at, because 1% decrease on the top rate only really benefits TD's and other rich people, probably worth 120euro a year to someone on 50k, but 4500euro for someone on 500k. Increasing the bands would cap the gain to individuals and cap the loss to revenue.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hope they bring back the VAT on kids shoes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Hope they bring back the VAT on kids shoes..
    theyre already stupidly overpriced anyway with no vat, better to just order them online.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

What courses are you people doing
    BA or dodgy BBS courses.
    Engineering and science courses will get you a job.
    Computer science graduates are getting jobs immediately after graduation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

lmimmfn wrote: »
    theyre already stupidly overpriced anyway with no vat, better to just order them online.

Nom, Nom, Nom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

I think it was a very cynical move that I would love to see backfire on the government, but sadly I don't think it will.

Trying to live on that a week is pretty much impossible (and forces people to move back with their parents, which is unfair to all parties) and trying to get the money to emigrate is even harder. You have to love a system that effectively traps inexperienced graduates in a cycle of poverty unless they're lucky enough to find a job somewhere (and very few are)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ebola for all! Along with a hidden tax somewhere...
    ah a Bleedin tax
    I think it was a very cynical move that I would love to see backfire on the government, but sadly I don't think it will.

Trying to live on that a week is pretty much impossible (and forces people to move back with their parents, which is unfair to all parties) and trying to get the money to emigrate is even harder. You have to love a system that effectively traps inexperienced graduates in a cycle of poverty unless they're lucky enough to find a job somewhere (and very few are)!

People were moving out of home only to become an immediate and lasting burden on the state through dole as well as rent allowance and all the other benefits. What the €100 per week does is concentrates the minds of those expecting a free ride and stops them enjoying their life on the dole! Now they get feck all from the state and have to work to support themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd imagine people will be reasonably happy tomorrow that austerity is in effect over. It will take some time to claw back what was lost from the disaster and I think we might see a kind of relief rally by consumers next year as they see things improving and this will help the economy further.

Interesting to note we find ourselves in the bizarre situation where we can now cut taxes and raise spending due to strong growth and corrected finances but over in the UK austerity has 4 more years to run.

I think we were right to cut hard and fast like we did even though it hurt people.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

They are running scared with promises of lower bills for less well off and lower USC charges. Funny how now they can find the savings to do these things yet said no chance before they could see they are losing voters fast. Bunch of criminals and liars. People do not fall for their fake ass stuff. Get them out no matter what bribery they offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

As an a single taxpayer with no children who earns slightly over the national average i expect to get absolutely nothing out of the budget tomorrow. I might even get to pay a little more for other peoples kids and "de vulnerabble".

There might be a bit of shifting the deckchairs around but the likes of me are largely net contributors and will remain as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Looks like the days of austerity are over, let's get ready to party.................

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So will robbing bástards actually follow through and give us a break I wonder or will they continue to fleece us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Itzy wrote: »
    So will robbing bástards actually follow through and give us a break I wonder or will they continue to fleece us?

I'm going to go with the latter. Next year they will be nice because it will be the budget before the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

When there's 28 people unemployed per each job available, where will these jobs come from? And who will employers choose - the single mum who can't be flexible because she has kids, who has been out of the workforce, or the experienced, flexible person with no kids?

28 people for every job, where are you getting that number from?
    i'm genuinely curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

lanos wrote: »
    BA or dodgy BBS courses.

I didn't realise certain degrees entitled you to a job.

100 quid a week is bad but up north it's £45 a week (last time I checked). Changes in the USC might turn out to be ok but we'll have to see the whole picture before realising if we've just git done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's fine gael so the top 30% of people will do really well, with some crumbs thrown at people in the bottom 10% and everyone in the middle will pay the cost.

The measures leaked so far are
    tax relief for water charges - presumably people on the top rate get the most relief
    tax relief on pensions - people who can afford pensions benefit
    reduction in top rate of tax - only really any benefit to anyone who is earning significantly more than 30k
    Widening the tax bands - only affects people earning at the top rate and above
    messing about with the USC, This will probably only be to exclude people earning below 15k from the USC. Anyone earning above this amount will still pay the same....

What they should be doing is targetting the vast majority of their 'goodies' at the low to middle income bracket because
    1. People on low and middle incomes spend pretty much all of their money and save/invest very little and the multiplier effect from increasing their spending power is fed back into the local economy and drives growth.
    2. Any tax changes that benefit low income workers will also benefit higher income workers in absolute terms
    3. The regressive tax increases (water charges, carbon taxes, increases in excise etc) need to be balanced out for lower paid workers who are already struggling to meet the costs of running their households.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i dont know why they even bother with these budgets.... they will never tackle what actually needs to be sorted out. Instead they will just ride the middle class as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

To be honest, I think this budget will take nothing from anyone, and give a little back to a few, its not ideal, but it is a hell of a lot better than I could have imagined possible a few years ago, for the first time in what has been a nightmare of a decade I am feeling slightly optimistic and not afraid of what Michael Noonan will announce later today, it's not too long ago that I could never have imagined this country heading back to normality again.

lanos wrote: »
    BA or dodgy BBS courses.

circadian wrote: »
    I didn't realise certain degrees entitled you to a job.

100 quid a week is bad but up north it's £45 a week (last time I checked). Changes in the USC might turn out to be ok but we'll have to see the whole picture before realising if we've just git done again.

did i say or even imply entitled ?
    no

and what has the social welfare rate up north to do with
    anything we are discussing here. This thread is Budget 2015

corkonion wrote: »
    To be honest, I think this budget will take nothing from anyone, and give a little back to a few, its not ideal, but it is a hell of a lot better than I could have imagined possible a few years ago, for the first time in what has been a nightmare of a decade I am feeling slightly optimistic and not afraid of what Michael Noonan will announce later today, it's not too long ago that I could never have imagined this country heading back to normality again.

the format is predictable enough
    3 killer budgets
    followed by 1 ok budget
    followed by an election buying budget

you must be very young if you have not seen the pattern by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think anyone with no kids who earns circa 30k will not be any better off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement