Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

This post has been deleted.

sorry, it appears we had a crossed conversation going on. i mixed you up with lexieonrale. apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

And I was stating a fact that not everyone wants to work. End of story
    **** I don't want to work. But I am because I am a dumb idiot. How ever the goal is to work for myself and give another dumb idiot a job( however I hope I can make it a job they will be happy to work in)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

ok but how do the social welfare pick and choose without being accused of discrimination and without making some life threatning errors?

scroungers are well versed on their entitlements, its not scroungers that will suffer an all encompassing sweep.

I think like the way I was asked to produce evidence of how I was upskilling, applying for jobs and attending interviews, should be part of everyone's monthly sign on when on job seekers. That would help to identify those who are guinely trying to do anything they can to get employment.

The hole system needs to be overhauled. When My partner finished a tus programme he was call into speak with someone before he finished. He informed them that he would be kept on as a relief worker for the company and would get min of 20 hours a week, and the woman advised him to quit and go back on social welfare.
    Quite messed up that they told him to leave his Job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Looks like enda gave barrett the wink.....
    Protect poor enda at all costs, especially on budget day,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/video-mcdonald-ejected-from-dail-after-accusing-ceann-comhairle-of-bias-645343.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

sorry, it appears we had a crossed conversation going on. i mixed you up with lexieonrale. apologies :)

I too apologise.
    I'll stop messing with you now so.

PS - not taking back the comment about tax dodgers. That is still a fact. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Why can't employed people (who are actually making a contribution to society) get a Christmas bonus from the government? Seems unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Long term unemployed. 10 years out of work. Knocking on 40. An IT degree earned in the meantime. Not even a PFO to any applications sent in. Nobody will hire you. Even the lying politicians only refer to our "unemployed youth". The middle aged can wait on their state pensions or die first. Whichever is cheaper.
    If you're over 35 and unemployed for over 5 years you are dead in this nation. It doesn't matter what your excuse is. Save that for the X Factor..except oh yes...there's probably an age limit on that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why can't employed people (who are actually making a contribution to society) get a Christmas bonus from the government? Seems unfair.

Cus we are greedy good for nothing's who get everything handed to us on a plate...... oh wait

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why should people who despite jumping through hoops still lost their jobs be denied because you come from a town with an extraordinarily high percentage of lazy feckers?

Or because the Dept. of Social Protection isn't doing it's job?

But I said those who are genuinely looking for work should not be put in the same bracket as those who are not looking for work.

People who are genuinely looking for work, spending time applying for jobs, attending interviews, upskilling, volunteering or what ever other steps they are taking to get employment should not be treated the same as someone who does not even have a CV, or who has never applied for a Job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

leanonme wrote: »
    I think like the way I was asked to produce evidence of how I was upskilling, applying for jobs and attending interviews, should be part of everyone's monthly sign on when on job seekers. That would help to identify those who are guinely trying to do anything they can to get employment.

The hole system needs to be overhauled. When My partner finished a tus programme he was call into speak with someone before he finished. He informed them that he would be kept on as a relief worker for the company and would get min of 20 hours a week, and the woman advised him to quit and go back on social welfare.
    Quite messed up that they told him to leave his Job.

That may have been if the 20 hours was spread out over more than 3 days in which case he wouldn't have been able to claim SW part-time an would have been worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

I wouldn't mind employers, like myself, getting a Christmas bonus too.
    Seems you have to be on the dole to get a bonus. That and the €100 off the water bill, great incentive for people, isn't it?

I was a kid that age in the 1970s and I thought my dad was onto a good thing because he was on a 3 day week. I had to do 5 in primary school. Kids don't see things the way we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

€3 better off, and conversely because of water charges I'll be €3 worse off nett a week!

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Seems you have to be on the dole to get a bonus. That and the €100 off the water bill, great incentive for people, isn't it?

wow! 40 euro to spend and 100 euro off a bill that isnt even scaled on income. somebody stick a santa hat on enda, he's gone barmy! its a christmas giveaway :D

We get it in tax relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

because employed people have far more disposable income come Xmas time so don't really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Long term unemployed. 10 years out of work. Knocking on 40. An IT degree earned in the meantime. Not even a PFO to any applications sent in. Nobody will hire you. Even the lying politicians only refer to our "unemployed youth". The middle aged can wait on their state pensions or die first. Whichever is cheaper.
    If you're over 35 and unemployed for over 5 years you are dead in this nation. It doesn't matter what your excuse is. Save that for the X Factor..except oh yes...there's probably an age limit on that too.

Anecdotal I know, but I know somebody who is 55 with zero qualifications, and had been unemployed for about 3 years, also on illness benefit due to a knee problem. Got the knee fixed this year, and started looking for work, got a job in security company within a few weeks, decided it wasn't for them, started a different job the next week, and is now doing a third job, albeit still with the second company. This is in the midlands, not Dublin, there does seem to be jobs around, not great jobs, but jobs nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Revenue publish helpful lists of those they caught.

My Mam's hairdresser was on it. :D

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease get off the Google Merchant bus. Please.

wow! 40 euro to spend and 100 euro off a bill that isnt even scaled on income. somebody stick a santa hat on enda, he's gone barmy! its a christmas giveaway :D

The dole should be cut, and the longer you're on it, the more it should be cut.

:)Maybe, maybe not. Its only years later that it dawned on me that those were not my old lads finest days. Give junior a chance. She might come good - I'll be bitter for myself and share it around for those that have it coming but when it comes to little kids in dole offices, I hope they break the vicious circle. I'd rather see them in toyshops.

That may have been if the 20 hours was spread out over more than 3 days in which case he wouldn't have been able to claim SW part-time an would have been worse off.

But he would have earned the same amount of social welfare, and was gaining further experience. People need to think of the bigger picture and not the here and now. For my internship the 50 quid extra a week didn't cover the expenses involved. But it gave me the experience and confidence I needed to get through an interview for a job. Again the Job was only part-time but after six months I was full time.

Prior to doing the internship I attended a job-skills three week course, this focused on my CV, and interview skills, and helped me to identified how my nerves came through in an Interview which helped me to control these.

I truly believe with out the interview skills, and the internship I would not have the job I'm in now. But when doing these two things lots of people were telling me I was wasting my time.

• Advertisement

maybe they should change the name to 'the social welfare annual christmas charity giveaway extravaganza'.

a lot of people seem to take issue with it being a 'bonus'. its not quite the same thing as an irish water exec's 'bonus'.

not really, because anyone with half a brain knows that having a job is far better than getting €40 at Xmas and €100 off a future tax.

maybe they should change the name to 'the social welfare annual christmas charity giveaway extravaganza'.

a lot of people seem to take issue with it being a 'bonus'. its not quite the same thing as an irish water exec's 'bonus'.

Why should people get any bonus for not having a job?

We are a society

Why should people get a bonus for not having a job?

So they can buy gifts apparently, I wonder do they write "From: Taxpayer" on them.

• Advertisement

The dole should be cut, and the longer you're on it, the more it should be cut.

and thats exactly why business owners should have zero place in the running of this country when it comes to social policy (speaking as a startup myself by the way).

your needs (as a business man) are not the greater needs of society and never will be. capitalism and politics are the most hideous of bed fellows.

they get an extra amount at Xmas because it's an especially expensive time.

not "for not having a job".

:rolleyes:

not "for not having a job".

:rolleyes:

makes it sound like they're winning it for their contribution to unemployment.

efb wrote: »
    We are a society

Are we though?
    At the end of the day it's every man/woman/family for themselves.

Unemployed people but most of their money back into the economy so it's quickly recycled

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Interesting graphic (from another thread)

44% of our tax (PAYE/USC/PRSI) is paid by the top 7% of earners in the country who earn in excess of 100,000e per year.

80% of our tax is paid by those earning more than 50k per year. (24% of tax payers)

Those under 50K per year and make up 76% of tax payers, pay 20% of total tax income per year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92606965&postcount=61

On that basis I'd suggest high earners are 100k plus, middle are 40-100 and low are under 40?

Any time can be an extra expensive time if you want to spend what you don't have, the cost of living doesn't increase at Christmas, any extra spending is discretionary.

if thats true of your life then i pity you. life is much nicer when people come together and help each other. living in your own dark corner with all your lovely money isnt living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

if thats true for of life then i pity you. life is much nicer when people come together and help each other. living in your own dark corner with all your lovely money isnt living.

I'm begining to think Ned is a politician.

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm begining to think Ned is a politician.

i was picturing gordon gecko myself but you could be right too!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

50 euro for a turkey? :eek: where are you shopping!

The original intent was to stop people going to moneylenders and winding up in jeopardy or huge debt. It should properly be called a supplement. The entire "bonus" thing is a misnomer that brings out the trolls both in print and online.

I got a turkey, ham, goose, stuffing, cranberries, veg and potatoes for last Christmas for about €30

The turkey and goose were frozen

Stheno wrote: »
    I got a turkey, ham, goose, stuffing, cranberries, veg and potatoes for last Christmas for about €30

ahh but thats not a fallon&byrne's turkey is it?

That's what happens when you buy them live and don't turn on the central heating.
    Let them outside to run around for a bit - they'll soon warm up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You could have bought a coat for the turkey and the goose with the extra €20

• Advertisement

Are we though?

That's a very negative outlook on life.

Advertisement