Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This post has been deleted.

I just bought a normal frozen turkey :)
    ahh but thats not a fallon&byrne's turkey is it?
    Nah, cooked right it didn't need to be, the oven was a bit jammed between the turkey and the goose though!
    Vizzy wrote: »
    You could have bought a coat for the turkey and the goose with the extra €20

They were fine once brought up to room temperature. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Most people who work for a living dont get a bonus at Christmas.

Fat, lazy scroungers who never worked (or will ever work) a day in their lives get a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

And herein lies the difference between the haves and the have nots.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Are we though?
    At the end of the day it's every man/woman/family for themselves.
    That is what they are counting on. They didn't believe 100 thousand would turn up at protests last week. There will be more for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

leanonme wrote: »
    But I said those who are genuinely looking for work should not be put in the same bracket as those who are not looking for work.

People who are genuinely looking for work, spending time applying for jobs, attending interviews, upskilling, volunteering or what ever other steps they are taking to get employment should not be treated the same as someone who does not even have a CV, or who has never applied for a Job.

Floating Voter has stated that despite applying for jobs he has no 'proof' as he doesn't even get a PFO. He did upskill - earned himself a degree.

I know a fair few people in business or working as managers who admit CV's go in the bin - most don't even bother sending out PFO letters to people they interviewed. If you're lucky you might get phone call. Hard to show SW a PFO phone call.

You genuinely don't seem to understand the reality of life for many long-term unemployed.

How exactly do you 'prove' you are looking for work if you never get a response to job applications?
    How can you upskill when you have a PhD so are barred from receiving any funding for training courses?

My OH was made redundant last March. She applied for an average of 25 jobs a week most of them below the level she had previously worked. Do you know how many written responses she got? Zero.

She now has a decent job due to someone in her field hearing she was looking - ironically it is with a firm she had sent her CV to but they binned it. Ironic because she used to also bin CVs. OH is working with a woman who applied for a job where OH used to work - never even got a PFO after the interview.

My 58 year old sister is a highly qualified office manager. She started working in 1975. Unfortunately her 70k a year job was in the Construction industry. Company went bust 4 years ago. Sister found part-time work but that dried up. Her 9 months of JSB ran out last year. She is now long-term unemployed. She is applying for jobs at a fraction of her former salary. She has done every training course she can to keep her skills fresh. She gets up at seven every morning so she can apply for any new available office jobs first thing.
    She has a folder for her PFO letters. There are two. Two from over 300 applications and they are over 6 months old. She's nearly 60. The thought that she may never work again is destroying her. How does she 'prove' that to the Dept. of Social Protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Stojkovic wrote: »

Fat, lazy scroungers who never worked (or will ever work) a day in their lives get a bonus.

brilliant.

Not to sound bad how about the ones who are economic migrants arriving and getting houses and money medical schooling before the ones who actually lost their jobs. Self employed Irish are really screwed in that sense.

myshirt wrote: »
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease get off the Google Merchant bus. Please.

Wut??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

€600 million to be given in foreign aid next year, seems a lot considering our health service could badly do with the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

people who work just got an all-year-round bonus in the form of tax cuts, worth far more than €40.

they need that money even less than someone on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

crannglas wrote: »
    That is what they are counting on. They didn't believe 100 thousand would turn up at protests last week. There will be more for the next one.
    Nah, the budget has pulled the rug from under the far left.

Try to organise that march for next weekend and you'd have a couple of smelly crusties scratching themselves on O'Connell street for 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

efb wrote: »
    That's a very negative outlook on life.

That's what 7 years of having the sh1te kicked out of your finances does while watching the ones who are doing it stick their noses deeper and deeper into the trough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There are people out there tax dodging. I am simply stating a fact. Not interested in an argument/debate on the topic even if I implied that everyone who is liable for tax is a tax dodger!

Exactly I'm actually wondering if any of my self employed friends have ever submitted a truthful tax form, seriously I know a very good accountant :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not to sound bad how about the ones who are economic migrants arriving and getting houses and money medical schooling before the ones who actually lost their jobs. Self employed Irish are really screwed in that sense.

Ever heard of the Habitual Residence rule?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yes, it's once a year that people on social welfare would like to enjoy as well.
    The extra money this year will at least provide a few nice dinners for the week.
    But I could nearly guarentee that they won't be spending it all on a turkey.

people who work just got an all-year-round bonus in the form of tax cuts, worth far more than €40.

they need that money even less than someone on the dole.
    They deserve it for all the tax they've paid to keep the scroungers in Johnny Blue and pyjamas.

My 58 year old sister is a highly qualified office manager. She started working in 1975. Unfortunately her 70k a year job was in the Construction industry. Company went bust 4 years ago. Sister found part-time work but that dried up. Her 9 months of JSB ran out last year. She is now long-term unemployed. She is applying for jobs at a fraction of her former salary. She has done every training course she can to keep her skills fresh. She gets up at seven every morning so she can apply for any new available office jobs first thing.
    She has a folder for her PFO letters. There are two. Two from over 300 applications and they are over 6 months old. She's nearly 60. The thought that she may never work again is destroying her. How does she 'prove' that to the Dept. of Social Protection?
    didn't you hear? there's "loads" of jobs. or something.
    she's obviously just lazy and prefers sitting on her arse getting €188 a week rather than far more and working instead.
    even gets an extra €40 to enjoy Christmas, the greedy, lazy so-and-so.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nah, the budget has pulled the rug from under the far left.

Try to organise that march for next weekend and you'd have a couple of smelly crusties scratching themselves on O'Connell street for 15 minutes.
    I hope not. Some Chinese I saw posting they are going to stand up with Irish against this third tax. So hopefully not fooled. And I don't really see how it has been eased on us actual people who work. Will you be there? I know I will.

Not to sound bad how about the ones who are economic migrants arriving and getting houses and money medical schooling before the ones who actually lost their jobs.

Sure, that doesn't happen at all.........;)
    Much like we don't borrow €600 million a year to give away in foreign aid...

Thats a myth !!!

Agree about the self-employed.
    But self-employed dont pay PRSI.

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    Exactly I'm actually wondering if any of my self employed friends have ever submitted a truthful tax form, seriously I know a very good accountant :)

Why don't you ask them? Some friend.

The dole should be cut, and the longer you're on it, the more it should be cut.

Until eventually it is nothing and we have increasing numbers of destitute people and we can put them in special facilities where they will be given a bed (in a dormitory obviously) and enough food to keep them alive in return for performing some menial tasks. We can call these place 'workhouses'.

There may be an increase in crime but that is easily dealt with - we can execute repeat offenders and those who committed serious offences like stealing a car and ship the others off to some as yet undiscovered land where they work as unpaid labour building colonies and mining and stuff like that.

What an excellent plan. Why didn't anyone think of this before??

Do-Gooders and bleeding heart liberals may write books about poor disabled children not having a Xmas but bah humbug to them!

Sure, that doesn't happen at all.........;)
    Much like we don't borrow €600 million a year to give away in foreign aid...
    How in Gods name could any one say it doesn't happen?

Thats a myth !!!

They do, I'm self employed and pay 5% PRSI

Thats a myth !!!

. How on earth can you commit to such a comment? Of course it happens. The thing is self employed contribute to the country non the less.

Well, maybe more like 'don't mention that it does';)

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    They do, I'm self employed and pay 5% PRSI
    Ok reduced rate.

because anyone with even a basic understanding of the welfare system knows that migrants don't just "get given houses".

the only people that actually believe that are thoroughly ignorant as to the facts.

Do you live with your parents by any chance?

I'm a fully qualified chef and, even if I say so myself, have a hell of a Xmas dinner but the whole 5 course dinner for 4 adults and 2 kids comes to less than 100 euro (including booze) and we get Boxing day out of it AND feed 4 dogs for at least three days.

50 quid for a turkey :eek:
    That's more than the Xmas bonus for an unemployed family.

Ok reduced rate.

And depending on a self employed persons income, up to 11% USC, along with reduced benefits.

I really really hope karma exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Floating Voter has stated that despite applying for jobs he has no 'proof' as he doesn't even get a PFO. He did upskill - earned himself a degree.

I know a fair few people in business or working as managers who admit CV's go in the bin - most don't even bother sending out PFO letters to people they interviewed. If you're lucky you might get phone call. Hard to show SW a PFO phone call.

You genuinely don't seem to understand the reality of life for many long-term unemployed.

How exactly do you 'prove' you are looking for work if you never get a response to job applications?
    How can you upskill when you have a PhD so are barred from receiving any funding for training courses?

My OH was made redundant last March. She applied for an average of 25 jobs a week most of them below the level she had previously worked. Do you know how many written responses she got? Zero.

She now has a decent job due to someone in her field hearing she was looking - ironically it is with a firm she had sent her CV to but they binned it. Ironic because she used to also bin CVs. OH is working with a woman who applied for a job where OH used to work - never even got a PFO after the interview.

I was unemployed for 9 months, not long term unemployed but unemployed for a long time. I know when I was looking for work that I applied for on average 20-30 jobs a month in my field. Of those applications bar two everyone of them required a CV, some a CV and an application form, and the two just the application form, but of all those jobs I applied for I think around 5 were aplications which I had to post the rest were emails.

An email to an employer/company in its self is proof of an application sent in. All I needed to do was print the email and that was proof for the social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Do you live with your parents by any chance?

I'm a fully qualified chef and, even if I say so myself, have a hell of a Xmas dinner but the whole 5 course dinner for 4 adults and 2 kids comes to less than 100 euro (including booze) and we get Boxing day out of it AND feed 4 dogs for at least three days.

50 quid for a turkey :eek:
    That's more than the Xmas bonus for an unemployed family.

I'm not a qualified chef but I've seen a full Turkey last a family of three a good ten days including sandwiches, salads etc. Until you're sick of the sight of the thing and the cat is threatening to leave. Either myself or before me the old man always had a "knack" of winning the things in pub draws.

I'd an ex who was unemployed for FOUR years during the boom, is now working the past three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

SF voted against the excise increase on fags, surprised as that will surely boost business for them???

• Advertisement

because anyone with even a basic understanding of the welfare system knows that migrants don't just "get given houses".

the only people that actually believe that are thoroughly ignorant as to the facts.
    I will not in any shape or form go into the ins and outs of how economic migrants get housing etc. Oh no wait I will since you think ignorant people only believe this. Economic migrants arrive on Ireland claim asylum. They when refused appeal. In turn while on appeal are entitled to rent allowance and can get council houses. Along with welfare. However not allowed work even if they wanted to.

I really really hope karma exists.
    What ?
    You hope I become a scrounger like you ?

I was out of work for 9 months once and didnt draw the dole. Got a credit union loan instead and paid it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Will people on the dole be getting a raise in this years budget?

What ?
    You hope I become a scrounger like you ?

I was out of work for 9 months once and didnt draw the dole. Got a credit union loan instead and paid it back.

Please don't tell any current or future employers that you did anything so blatantly stupid.

efb wrote: »
    SF voted against the excise increase on fags, surprised as that will surely boost business for them???

How's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Economic migrants arrive on Ireland claim asylum. They when refused appeal. In turn while on appeal are entitled to rent allowance and can get council houses. Along with welfare. However not allowed work even if they wanted to.

Jammy bastards.

How's that?

The importation of bent cigarettes has as much to do with Sinn Fein as the continued false allegations that Gerry Adams was ever a member of the IRA.

I kept a straight face for that

I will not in any shape or form go into the ins and outs of how economic migrants get housing etc. Oh no wait I will since you think ignorant people only believe this. Economic migrants arrive on Ireland claim asylum. They when refused appeal. In turn while on appeal are entitled to rent allowance and can get council houses. Along with welfare. However not allowed work even if they wanted to.
    no, they're given rent allowance which goes towards paying for housing.

they are not "given houses".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I don't understand the concept of a Christmas bonus for those on the dole. Why? If you're not working you should be glad that the state is giving you free money at all. Don't give free money for nothing and let the money stay with those who've worked hard to EARN their money. The Christmas bonus doesn't bring money into he economy, it takes it away from the people who have the most right to it (i.e. those who've earned the money that is being taken away from them in tax to give to those who do sweet f all).

Harumph. Lots of things that need that money FAR more than Christmas bonuses for the dole.

Now imagine what getting an extra 40 quid will mean when it comes to Xmas.

She is delighted that she now gets fuel allowance of 20 quid as it genuinely means she can put the heating on for a few hours in the evening.

40 euro means she can have turkey for Xmas dinner (inedible as she is a terrible cook)

She did have savings and got redundancy. She used those to pay down her mortgage as she didn't want arrears. She lives on 188 euro a week. She sold her car and bought a 1200 euro 11 year old banger to get to job interviews/training courses. Public transport isn't an option as she lives far from any bus routes. She sold her jewellery to get her son a wedding present.

She is unlikely to ever work again but did recently pass the test to go on the Civil Service panel so has her hopes pinned on that.

That is the reality for many of those who will be getting that 40 euro so many here are complaining about. People don't see them. They are not in the pub. Their clothes are good as they bought them in good times. They were once the high earners who paid those top rates of tax so often mentioned by the Xmas bonus begrudgers. They have never worn a trucksuit unless engaging in sports in their lives.
    They didn't plan on being unemployed. It wasn't a lifestyle choice. They just got bitch slapped by circumstances.

You couldn't tell by looking at them they were unemployed at all - they look just like 'ordinary' people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement