Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2015 [De wan an' only thread!]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Uriel. wrote: »
    are you about to attempt to resuscitate me?

Nope, this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTHktI8kJA

For your independent thoughts about colour choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

P_1 wrote: »
    And what will happen to those who are infertile, in a same sex relationship etc etc?

Back to the drawing board with that idea...

please read post #123
    lanos wrote: »
    of course the idea that somebody would not get a full pension because they did not have kids is a ludicrous idea.

it is no more ludicrous than saying that parents should not be helped with the cost of raising children, because society needs children.

farmers receive a variety of grants for farming.
    should all beef farming now cease in ireland because it is currently unprofitable ?

try to stay awake :)

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Apparently it will only be five euro :)

*Shakes Monitor*

"But I'm still outraged"

:pac:

Best line on boards ever....

Yet not a "Thanks" in sight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cormac... wrote: »
    *Shakes Monitor*

"But I'm still outraged"

The price of a pint a packet of Huggies Pull Ups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Why should they be helped? Having children is a choice, growing old is not.
    an aging population is causing loadsa of woe around europe.
    Society needs a younger people to function - its' benefical to society to have young people so it makes sense to assist this.
    It's idiotic to suggest otherwise.

P_1 wrote: »
    And what will happen to those who are infertile, in a same sex relationship etc etc?

Back to the drawing board with that idea...

DINKs (Double income no kids) - sure they're loaded, they'll have a massive pot of spare cash when they retire of all the people in society they don't need a state pension.

Tell you what, I'll give all the apparently "hard-squeezed" parents (note: apparently, not the ones who are genuinely hard squeezed), €10, let's double it, but on the condition that they forever more shut the hell up about being pressed for money because they are parents.
    €15 if they got boxed up in school, have the seemingly required 3 more kids and can still manage to shut their traps (double entendre way-hey-ho!) :pac:

Tax breaks and benefits and allowances and tax-credits for all the people* After Hours would like to have to stop listening to the moaning of

Sentence ended on a preposition on a Tuesday as I like to live dangerously, normally I like to save that stuff for the weekend

*only people I agree with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Best line on boards ever....

Indeed - I am particularly impressed that Mary owns a council house.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Indeed - I am particularly impressed that Mary owns a council house.

Should have said "squallering in" tbh, i'll go back and edit it now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

You definitely don't have kids if you think a fiver will buy a packet of Pull Ups :pac:

As for me it's the first budget I've looked forward to since i started working. Probably the first one where I'll have more money in my pocket after it than before. I've 3 kids and the 15 a month isn't going to mean that much, but reducing the top rate will actually make a difference and make me think it's worthwhile being out of the house for 12 hours a day away, from my family to work.

• Advertisement

Tell you what, I'll give all the apparently "hard-squeezed" parents (note: apparently, not the ones who are genuinely hard squeezed), €10, let's double it, but on the condition that they forever more shut the hell up about being pressed for money because they are parents.
    €15 if they got boxed up in school, have the seemingly required 3 more kids and can still manage to shut their traps (double entendre way-hey-ho!) :pac:

Tax breaks and benefits and allowances and tax-credits for all the people* After Hours would like to have to stop listening to the moaning of

Sentence ended on a preposition on a Tuesday as I like to live dangerously, normally I like to save that stuff for the weekend

*only people I agree with

I'll give them €25 to STFU about their kids paying for us when we get older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's the basic cyclical social system most of the world tends to live by - why do people have such a hard time grasping this fact?

Because boards if full of gombaloons who manage to be both contrarian and conformist, a uniquely irish breed :confused:

Should have said "squallering in" tbh, i'll go back and edit it now :o

Does that mean that Mary wasn't given a council house free, gratis and for nothing which she now owns outright but doesn't pay anything like Property tax as it is a council house and because she has a village free to not go to work bike????

Awwww.. that's a shame.

tobsey wrote: »
    You definitely don't have kids if you think a fiver will buy a packet of Pull Ups :pac:

As for me it's the first budget I've looked forward to since i started working. Probably the first one where I'll have more money in my pocket after it than before. I've 3 kids and the 15 a month isn't going to mean that much, but reducing the top rate will actually make a difference and make me think it's worthwhile being out of the house for 12 hours a day away, from my family to work.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294875227&Ne=4294954028

You definitely need more money off the taxpayer if you buy the most expensive pull ups you can find ;)

Or you could keep the money and promise not to claim a single cent from the State or use any infrastructure etc once you get old. That would work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'll double it if you forfeit the state pension those younger than you will pay for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Aah, I see what you did there...

You're wittily attempting to imply that this generous €5 rise will be spent by feckless, irresponsible layabout parents on booze instead of actual necessities. Yes, I'm sure the bulk of child benefit is spent on alcohol, rather than educational needs, childcare costs, bills, clothing, nappies, formula and pesky things like optician, doctor and dentists visits.

If the wise people of AH say so, it MUST be true!

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294875227&Ne=4294954028

You definitely need more money off the taxpayer if you buy the most expensive pull ups you can find ;)
    Bah! The packs that cost a fiver have about 10 nappies in them. With two babies under 18 months that wouldn't last long in my house :D

Aah, I see what you did there...

You're wittily attempting to imply that this generous €5 rise will be spent by feckless, irresponsible layabout parents on booze instead of actual necessities. Yes, I'm sure the bulk of child benefit is spent on alcohol, rather than educational needs, childcare costs, bills, clothing, nappies, formula and pesky things like optician, doctor and dentists visits.

If the wise people of AH say so, it MUST be true!

Also going for five euro is a course of tablets you can take that stops that pesky habit of putting words in other people's mouths :)

Bah! The packs that cost a fiver have about 10 nappies in them. With two babies under 18 months that wouldn't last long in my house :D

Still correct though. A packet of pull ups. Fiver. :)

• Advertisement

You could buy terry towel ones and wash them and.... oh...hmmmmm....

You could buy terry towel ones and wash them and.... oh...hmmmmm....
    Water charges though you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I imagine the government will target pensioners, public sector workers and the disabled in their giveaway. Two big voting groups and a third group that it looks good to help.

Also going for five euro is a course of tablets you can take that stops that pesky habit of putting words in other people's mouths :)

Oh I need to find ways to use this comeback in common parlance :)

Water charges though you know.

Pesky kids with their pooping and milky belching and need for basic hygiene.

How much is the VAT on cling film? Wrapping them in that might be an option.

I imagine the government will target pensioners, public sector workers and the disabled in their giveaway. Two big voting groups and a third group that it looks good to help.

Despite they still being in deficit.

Good ol' auction politics.
    Can't blame them though, the far left go on like the deficit never existed & paddy loves to be bribed with his own money.

Despite they still being in deficit.

Good ol' auction politics.
    Can't blame though, the far left go on like the deficit never existed & paddy loves to be bribed with his own money.

Damn that far left for getting us in this mess. Damn them to hell. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭adocholiday

What I'm hoping for:

- Keep to the austerity plan and do the final adjustment so we have a fighting chance when the economy inevitably nosedives again
    - Finally means test child benefit
    - Keep Rent Allowance as it is
    - No change to planned water charges or additional allowances
    - Change the completely broken car tax system

What we'll get:

- Knee jerk reaction to a few months of good growth based on an artificially inflated property market in Dublin
    - Changes to the income tax bands
    - Child benefit increases
    - Dole Christmas bonus makes a return (sure bring back the communion one too)
    - Reversal of some dole cuts to balance out the changes in income tax bands

Vote buying exercise is all that this budget is. The left-wingers will get their way yet again because we have a spineless government whose primary goal is keeping themselves in power for another 4 years.

Indeed.
    Doubling public spending in a decade & hallowing out the tax base such that a huge proportion of workers paid next to no income tax left the deficit far worse than otherwise had been.

• Advertisement

kids under 18 months don't use pull-ups
    they use cheaper nappies
    approx 30 to a pack :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

the left are kinda to blame.

If they'd shut up and accepted cutbacks and raised taxes we'd get to continue the misery for a few more years.

But they've rallied people to their cause and now FG need to think about their voter base for the next election esp if labour have enough of being the scapegoats and pull teh plug soon .

auction politics indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Cant see it happening and in fact it will probably go up but I would like to see Petrol prices come down......Nothing to do with buying a 1.8 engined car 2 weeks ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I wish they'd put up the rent allowance "cap"...

During the summer, I begun to get a headache hearing parents constantly complaining about the cost of putting kids in school... And now the talk of wanting money for THEIR childrens Christmas presents, Yous wouldn't have to complain of you just paid €10 for 12 pack durex :P.

I'm starting to become tempted to say Ireland should turn into China with the 1 child rule! It would change a lot!!

Sorry not sorry :-P

kids under 18 months don't use pull-ups
    they use cheaper nappies
    approx 30 to a pack :p
    I know that. Don't worry we don't put pull-ups on the new born. However the extra 15 quid we get won't even cover the 25-30 a month we spend on nappies. The single, well educated, childless people moaning about an extra fiver really need to grasp how little that fiver is worth. (Not saying you're one of them btw.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The idea that we, de peeple, need an any way soft budget is scary. We are so massively in the hole in terms of national debt that it wont be paid off in my lifetime (I'm under 30).

The talk of christmas dole bonuses.....are you actually fcuking kidding me? Every cent paid out on SW payments and all public service salaries are paid for with BORROWED MONEY...money we do not have....hello? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This budget needs to focus on one thing. The creation of quality sustainable jobs.

• Advertisement

The idea that we, de peeple, need an any way soft budget is scary. We are so massively in the hole in terms of national debt that it wont be paid off in my lifetime (I'm under 30).

The talk of christmas dole bonuses.....are you actually fcuking kidding me? Every cent paid out on SW payments and all public service salaries are paid for with BORROWED MONEY...money we do not have....hello? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

This budget needs to focus on one thing. The creation of quality sustainable jobs.
    Every cent the government spend on anything is borrowed money. Sell Bonds -> Pay for Stuff -> Receive Taxes -> Repay Maturing Bonds. It's how public finances work.

Every cent the government spend on anything is borrowed money. Sell Bonds -> Pay for Stuff -> Receive Taxes -> Repay Maturing Bonds. It's how public finances work.

Of course, but there is still deficit though.

That's his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes but can a country in our financial position afford to add a bonus to already very generous sw payments?

Yes but can a country in our financial position afford to add a bonus to already very generous sw payments?
    I don't know exactly but I assume we can. It's a marginal increase, and still leaves the rates below what they were 5 years ago. The public finances are in a better position than they have been for a number of years, and given the pressure that has been put on people in the last number of budgets then it is only right that they get something back now. It's not like they're talking about a massive giveaway budget, like Bertie's €1,000 for every child under 5 that bought the 2007 election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know exactly but I assume we can.
    There's also the question of why. Social welfare payment should loosely track inflation and state income. If the state is running a deficit and the cost of living hasn't increased in any serious way, then why increase social welfare payments?

In fact, the core essentials of heat, light, food, and clothing are all lower now than in 2011.

Accommodation cost arguably is up, but that's a tricky one. Like the FTB grant of old, increase the rent allowance and many landlords will jump rents up to swallow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They need to come up with a better job creation plan and get rid of the likes of Jobbridge, Gateway, Tus and the like, the majority of people on welfare and that are able to work actually want real jobs that pay a real wage, let the other 5-10 percent be made to use these schemes.

the christmas bonus was not a huge net loss to this country
    it was paid to the long term unemployed
    (the council estate scrounger class)

they in-turn spent it on booze & fags (mostly)

Nearly all of this money came back into dept of finance coffers
    via
    exise duty (very high proportion)
    VAT
    income tax

so nothing to worry about really, and a feel good factor for the scroungers
    they deserve some happiness too

via
    VAT
    income tax

Sure it mostly comes back, but the message it sends: 'bonus for not working' is, frankly appalling.

If only for social solidarity, social welfare "bonuses" should be consigned to the bin forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

via
    VAT
    income tax

Even with that, I'm not sure I agree with a bonus for long-term unemployed. Fair enough if you've been made redundant in the last year, or get a partial bonus if you are on part time work and claim some benefits.

The scroungers deserve happiness...they get more than a long-term employed person to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Can you stop using the word scroungers ffs, not everyone on social welfare wants to be there.

via
    VAT
    income tax

Tell that to the person putting in a 40 hour week at minimum wage, who will earn less for their 40 hours than someone on the dole that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the sheep are being bought again

we never learn

I'll double it if you forfeit the state pension those younger than you will pay for!
    QED :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Can you stop using the word scroungers ffs, not everyone on social welfare wants to be there.

I am sure some people just do not realise that they are calling people with disabilities scroungers, or are they just really that dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'd like to see any additional monies we have to play with targeted at very specific measures, namely
    • Infrastructural Investment which would provide employment opportunities and improve our overall competitiveness as a Country
    • Educational Investment - to arrest the slide of our 3rd Level institutions and ensure we are producing highly educated and sought after graduates.
    • Targeted tax reduction measures for working people, who've borne the brunt of the last 7 recessionary budgets.
    Instead we'll have the usual give-away style, vote-buying bolloxology from a Government who's main concern is their own short-term re-election prospects as opposed to the medium to long-term future of the Country.

Re-instatement of the Christmas Bonus - what a fcuking joke!

• Advertisement
Advertisement