Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex girlfriend stuff

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

So this week I'm taking the plunge and moving in with my girlfriend.

The problem is that I have shoeboxes of stuff from previous girlfriends, all the mementos, letters, cinema tickets etc. and I don't know what to do with it.

In fairness, I want to keep it, cause some of the memories in those boxes are really good, but on the other hand I'm sure my gf would go mental if she found this hoard in our new place.

Any thoughts on what I should do? What do yous do with the stuff left over from girlfriends past?

If it's not actual gifts like a book or tie or watch etc then just let it go :) Room for new memories!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Stab her.

I take it you're from the Stabby McHobo school of thought concerning relationships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have some stuff from exes, which my boyfriend is cool about. He doesn't, but I'd be cool with him keeping things like letters/gifts/photos.

Things like cinema tickets, I'd be weirded out by. I understand letters and photos having fond memories, but cinema tickets? 'That night we went to see The Guard was amazing, have to keep the ticket?' I don't get that. Buy a copy of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Neatly catalogue everything you have, placing the stuff for each ex into individual boxes with their names and dates of the relationship on the outside.

Then show it all to your gf, before showing her a box with her name on it. The box, of course, should be empty but the date the relationship started should be on the outside (I can't stress how important it is to get that date right!).

This will show her how organised you are and how, unlike most guys, you think about the future!

........or just keep the really important stuff in a box marked 'PS4 games' or something and dump the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jawgap wrote: »
    Neatly catalogue everything you have, placing the stuff for each ex into individual boxes with their names and dates of the relationship on the outside.

Then show it all to your gf, before showing her a box with her name on it. The box, of course, should be empty but the date the relationship started should be on the outside (I can't stress how important it is to get that date right!).

This will show her how organised you are and how, unlike most guys, you think about the future!

........or just keep the really important stuff in a box marked 'PS4 games' or something and dump the rest.

All it'll show is that he's not just packing his stuff to move in with her, but preparing to pack her up away too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Burn that **** OP. Do you make comparisons between your current partner and previous partners to her face too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think people are being far to extreme.

First - this is his GIRLFRIEND. Not his wife. Not his fiancée. DESTROYING his collection of momentos is a permanent action that can't be reversed - for a girl that, in a few months or years might not be with him.

I've lived with a handful of girlfriends. We broke up, sometimes on good terms, sometimes not. I'm really glad that I didn't pretend I was going to be with them for the rest of my life.

OP - if you're a bit nerdy, scan everything. Then encrypt it. Then synch it to dropbox/google drive/etc...store the password into a password manager and print a copy of the master password and store it with your 'important documents' folder or whatever you have for important paperwork.

Now you can never lose them - they're digital - they won't age - they'll last forever. It's secure (encrypted) and it's safe (if your computer breaks, it's still in the cloud - just log in with a new machine to your dropbox account, download it, decrypt it when you want to look at it.

If you still want to keep the physical originals - I'd just leave it with my parents. Throw it up in their attic. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

UCDVet wrote: »
    First - this is his GIRLFRIEND. Not his wife. Not his fiancée. DESTROYING his collection of momentos is a permanent action that can't be reversed - for a girl that, in a few months or years might not be with him.

If they ever do break up she'll be next to be added to the box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

In fairness, I want to keep it, cause some of the memories in those boxes are really good, but on the other hand I'm sure my gf would go mental if she found this hoard in our new place.

Then keep it, if they represent good times in your life then what about, no harm! Good memories can't be bought. Is there anywhere you can keep them where the GF won't find them, like your parents house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I have two boxes. I had one for my first boyfriend and when I moved in with my ex I told him it was just a bunch of memories that will never come out, just for me to have. No problem with it at all!

Now I have a box of his stuff. I hate his guts at the moment but one day I might want to go down memory lane. Doesn't mean you aren't moving on, just memories.

If you can keep them at your parents go for that. Or if your girlfriend has any issues with your exes, keep the stuff out of the new place, otherwise, just downsize as much as possible explain it to her and put it in the attic or somewhere where it wont be looking at her every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What about contacting the ex girlfriend and ask her would she like to take some of the stuff back , introduce her to the newer improved model , see how they get on and with a bit of luck you could be in threesome land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

jamesbere wrote: »
    You don't have a girlfriend, do you?

Correct dryballs,my lovely wife doesn"t allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So this week I'm taking the plunge and moving in with my girlfriend.

The problem is that I have shoeboxes of stuff from previous girlfriends, all the mementos, letters, cinema tickets etc. and I don't know what to do with it.

Any thoughts on what I should do? What do yous do with the stuff left over from girlfriends past?

They're your memories and part of your history. They're part of your life experience, that led to your girlfriend choosing you, for you.

I live with my partner, who was married before. She still has things kept. Photos etc that were part of her kids' growing up. I don't feel uncomfortable at all that she's kept them. I certainly wouldn't want her to dispose of them. I keep a few bits from exes myself. Nice little things that connect me to significant experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, a text is so much more romantic. treasure those forever.

hi bbz
    tnkin of u. lol. luv xxx

txt hun?!?

snapchat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Send that **** to her next boyfriend as a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If you aren't ready to get rid of the mementos of your former girlfriends then you are not ready to live with your girlfriend. Moving in with someone means that you're supposed to be committed to each other, so you shouldn't even be considering bringing that stuff with you. It's actually a bit creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Keep the fcukin stuff innit..
    Dem der bitch's has loads o stuff you aint never gonna kno fcuk all bout, untill you upset Dem der bitch's innit..... BLOOOD CLLLLOTH

Advertisement