Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woeful eircom broadband despite good line stats - any suggestions

Options
  • 10-10-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me to work out why eircom say my phone line is not capable of more than 5Mb DSL? I discovered this when I asked to be switched over to an ADSL2+ port.

I recently got a new line installed and am very close to the exchange. After complaining about it only connecting at 5Mb, I was basically told, that's all the line can take, it's not even worth reporting a fault as they'll tell you the same thing. Nor can it be upped to 8Mb as it will disconnect all the time :(

All this from a new line, after being pretty much told I'd get nice and fast 24Mb. (exchange is not yet e-fibre enabled)

Since then I see they have upped the speed to 8Mb. The connection is stable (haven't noticed any disconnections and speed tests usually give 6.9Mb

From what I've read my router stats seem pretty good:

broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed: 8160 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 0 dB/ 2.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17.0 dB/ 22.0 dB

My question is:
    Is there something that would prevent that line from being switched over to ADSL2+? (apart from eircom's insistence on saying it can only take 5Mb)
    I can post some more detailed stats from the router if that would help.

Thanks!

-Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its probably a wrong prequal. Wait two months and theyll be able to change your package over to a 24Mb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nickjnick

What's a wrong prequal? :) Sounds nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

That line looks pretty solid. No reason why I should take a considerably higher profile.

Demand to be put on maybe a 16mb profile, the line definitely should be able to take that speed.

nickjnick wrote: »
    What's a wrong prequal? :) Sounds nasty.

Its the rating of the line. If the line is a new one they wont have a real rating yet necessarily. If the rating is below 9Mb they wont be able to change your package.

The lines are re prequalified every second month or so, then you'll be able to order a regrade.

Wasn't aware of that, good to know

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its the rating of the line. [snip]
    The lines are re prequalified every second month or so, then you'll be able to order a regrade.

Is that rating/re prequalification an automatic procedure? As if I run one of the line checkers which give me back a line speed I should see a difference myself?
    for example the vodafone one at
    vodafone.ie/utility/broadband/linecheck.shtml?perlico_areacode=01&perlico_number=XXXXXXX

-Nick

No, that'll just pull from a database(which in some areas can be quite dated).

Somebody in eircom does them and then the database is updated. If you check the link above you'll see pretty quickly when theyre done. Assuming vodafone are using a live copy (from the numbers Ive checked its reasonably fresh anyways).

Well, sounds like it was the rating of the line alright... a new line rating was run (finally) and the line qualified (as I thought it should)

The vodafone line speed checker was updated pretty much immediately too, came back with:
    "response":"Yes 23.44MB"

Anyway, eircom have swapped me over to an ADSL2+ port now, so the modem was rebooted and it connected at ~21MB.

Whole process took a while (3 months), but got there in the end.

-Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

move to voderphone or sky

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

ED E wrote: »
    No, that'll just pull from a database(which in some areas can be quite dated).

Somebody in eircom does them and then the database is updated. If you check the link above you'll see pretty quickly when theyre done. Assuming vodafone are using a live copy (from the numbers Ive checked its reasonably fresh anyways).

I have the eircom API which should pull from the newest database?

Here take a look: gav94.com/line_check.php

Source of page: gav94.com/line_check.txt

It pulls from a JSON api so I saw it necessary to make that page instead of people trying to read plain JSON.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Hey GavoTrav,

gav94.com/line_check.php seems to have stopped working, any chance you could fix it?

Thanks,
    doney84

doney84 wrote: »
    Hey GavoTrav,

gav94.com/line_check.php seems to have stopped working, any chance you could fix it?

Thanks,
    doney84

Hi there,

Just remade it there, its not the same as it was but it will give the same info.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

@ GavoTrav

Much appreciated ... Thanks :)

doney84 wrote: »
    @ GavoTrav

Much appreciated ... Thanks :)

No problem :)

(my terrible)Code for anyone that is interested:
    <?php
    $ext = $_GET['ext'];
    $num = $_GET['num'];
    $json_array = json_decode(file_get_contents('https[color=red]:[/color]//www[color=red].[/color]eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/'. $ext .'-'. $num .'/broadband/true'), true);

if($json_array['phone']) {
    	echo "<pre>";
    	print_r($json_array);
    	echo "</pre>";
    	} else {
    	echo "Not Found, Try Again (Sometimes you need to search twice to see.)";
    }
    ?>

Advertisement