Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedge cutting

• 11-10-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi what's the best thing to use for cutting back a hedge.I don't want to use a chainsaw as they so dangerous.I have a large garden.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

puddles59 wrote: »
    Hi what's the best thing to use for cutting back a hedge.I don't want to use a chainsaw as they so dangerous.I have a large garden.Thanks

Cutting back in what way? And what's the hedge?
    If you are massively reducing the width you'll need to do it over two seasons. Secateurs, longhand loppers and small saw are the tools you'll need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

bit late in the season for hedge cutting, as the newly exposed growth would be more easily damaged by frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Oldtree wrote: »
    bit late in the season for hedge cutting, as the newly exposed growth would be more easily damaged by frost.

Agree with that. Trim during growing season, shape while dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

So you wouldn't recommend trimming the hedges in the front garden now? When's the earliest I could do it? They're so overgrown.. We just never had the time.. You know, the separating hedges between my neighbours garden and mine.. I was going to call someone out to do it this week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

If it can't wait and needs to be cut, then cut it or get it cut. More easily damaged from frost, but it will recover, regardless...imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement