Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are People Getting Engaged for the Sake Of Getting Engaged These Days.

• 11-10-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

A quasi-mate of mine got engaged recently but to be honest I don't care at all. The reason being is, this is his 4th time getting engaged in about 5 or 6 years. Now I know people may say he's clingy or has abandonment issues and I'd be inclined to agree except for one thing. I know a few of people who have been engage multiple times.

1. This guy (4th Engagement)
    2. Girl I casually hang out with (3 times single now)
    3. Girl I regularly hang out with (Engaged twice broke up with second guy, got back with him not engaged now)
    4. Close male friend engaged twice now single
    5. Girl in work engaged 3 times (still engaged with last guy 4 years now)
    6. A mates brother and his missus, engaged twice each but not yet to each other

All of this is among a slew of others I know and work with that are just perpetually engaged.

Now before anyone asks their age or family background they are all under 30 (eldest is 28) they come from all walks (parents still married, single parents and divorced parents etc) not gonna say who is what as they may recognize themselves in the post.

So I am asking exactly what the title says:

Are People Getting Engaged for the Sake Of Getting Engaged These Days?

Are PeopleGetting Engaged for the Sake Of Getting Engaged These Days? 70 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    52% 37 votes
    Seems to be more common that a few years ago
    32% 23 votes
    Haven't noticed
    14% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

People need to do it to get facebook likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sorry,no interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Gannicus wrote: »
    A quasi-mate of mine got engaged recently but to be honest I don't care at all. The reason being is, this is his 4th time getting engaged in about 5 or 6 years. Now I know people may say he's clingy or has abandonment issues and I'd be inclined to agree except for one thing. I know a few of people who have been engage multiple times.

3. Girl I regularly hang out with (Engaged twice broke up with second guy, got back with him not engaged now)

All of this is among a slew of others I know and work with that are just perpetually engaged.

Now before anyone asks their age or family background they are all under 30 (eldest is 28) they come from all walks (parents still married, single parents and divorced parents etc) not gonna say who is what as they may recognize themselves in the post.

I think it's just the age you're at tbh. That said the traditional 9 month engagement has gone out the window these days. Many are several years in order for the couple to splash out on a big day, which is madness.

The length of the engagements is another reason why so many of these fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'm getting a chinese takeaway tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Engaged lets others know you are in the toilet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I thought a quasi mate would jump at the chance to ring the bells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Here's an idea: Stop worrying yourself about other people's relationships.

None of your business tbh.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Packrat wrote: »

Calm down.

AH needs to renamed to Things We Are Too Hypocritical And Cowardly To Say To Our Facebook Friends.

I only know one person who has been engaged multiple times. He was engaged when he was in his early 20s and they split. He's getting married next year and has two children with his fiancé.

Other than that, I don't know of anyone who has been engaged more than once.

A good chunk of my close friends are married to people who they met when they were quite young. Most are very happily married too which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I'm not worried. I'm just really curious thats the reason I started this thread. just like SOO many other threads on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

For many people, it's considered the fashionable thing to do - they're more in-tune with that rather than the meaning of the relationship itself. Hence why the relationship tends to sour and they get engaged yet again within the next 18 months. It's like a desperate attempt to keep hold of someone, and if you say you're "engaged", it's like a mark of permanency. Though, as I've just described, due to its prevailing fashionable nature, things inevitably break down and the permanency is revealed as an illusion of sorts. Getting married these days, on the other hand (for many), is almost a parody event of trying to impress others as much as possible.

anncoates wrote: »
    AH needs to renamed to Things We Are Too Hypocritical And Cowardly To Say To Our Facebook Friends.

I think it should be called 'The Leaving of Sh1t Comments on Threads That We Supposedly Have No Interest In Contributing To, To Get Thanks Forum.'
    It rolls off the tongue better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I think it should be called 'The Leaving of Sh1t Comments on Threads That We Supposedly Have No Interest In Contributing To, To Get Thanks Forum.'
    It rolls off the tongue better.

Thanks for demonstrating its supposed truth. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Me too and I got a new razor , it's silvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Hypocritical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hypocritical?

To criticise or denigrate Hypos.

Hypocritical?

Every second thread in here seems to allude to some supposed twat on somebody's Facebook. Nobody's problem but their own. Don't be friends with them so

kneemos wrote: »
    To criticise or denigrate Hypos.

"behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

Are we accusing the OP of having had multiple engagements on the sly?

"behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case."

Are we accusing the OP of having had multiple engagements on the sly?

I think what anncoates means is that people are using social media (boards) to bitch about people on social media (Facebook).

• Advertisement

I think what anncoates means is that people are using social media (boards) to bitch about people on social media (Facebook).

Fine and that's either being cowardly or being polite depending on your point of view, but it's in no way hypocritical.

Fine and that's either being cowardly or being polite depending on your point of view, but it's in no way hypocritical.

Well it is bit, if they're using one source of social media to say that social media is the divil itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

There are inheritance and tax benefits to getting married but surely in this day and age that's discrimination against single or co-habiting people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Ps: I'm getting married cause I don't want my kids to be little bastards

Well it is bit, if they're using one source of social media to say that social media is the divil itself.

Social media is just a tool for communicating. It's not the action itself. That's like saying I can never criticize anything anyone ever says if I am in the habit of speaking myself. I can never criticize a publication, if I like to write myself. The link between the two things is so tenuous it's ridiculous.

It's what whoopsadaisydoodles said for sure but it's also the relentless denigration of people you know for fairly innocuous lifestyle choices behind their backs on places like here for the purposes of getting good whingey threads going to impress strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Great idea - I might too. Was genna be pizzas but no Chinese the real deal :D

Nomnomnom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Seriously ...?

I'm leaning toward a lamb bhuna tonight myself.

• Advertisement

Seriously ...?

I don't think marriage will stop his kids being little bastards :pac:

Didn't work for me.

Thanks for demonstrating its supposed truth. :rolleyes:

Voted in the poll, contribution enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

It is a fair point to object to bitching about your "friends" on Facebook.

I won't lie - some of my friends can post stuff that doesn't appeal to me, and I can post stuff that friends are going to think is stupid.
    I have friended people on Facebook whom I don't know well but I like, and then I see their Facebook posts and think "Oh dear" - but I didn't know their Facebook posts were gonna be that way. So if their posts are really headwrecking I just block their feed - I may not like their posts but that doesn't mean I can't still like them as people.

But if it's someone you actually don't like, just added due to not wanting to reject their friend request/wanting to up your friend numbers (presume that's only a thing among kids now though) just defriend them ffs. Nobody should be friends on Facebook with someone they don't like. Or at least block their feed.

On topic: I'm not aware of this engagement fashion at all. I have two friends who are engaged a long time (one 11 years!) and still haven't set a wedding date. I know two people who got married very young and are now divorced/going through divorce proceedings, but other than them, people that I know just get engaged once (for on average 18 months) and then get married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Great idea - I might too. Was genna be pizzas but no Chinese the real deal :D

Nomnomnom

Well its either a chinese or a bungo and chips from the local chipper. As the saying goes, ya can't beat a bungo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I don't see the point in getting married. Why not just live with the person, It's exactly the same thing minus the huge cost of a wedding and potentially losing half of you cash/house etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I don't see the point in getting married. Why not just live with the person, It's exactly the same thing minus the huge cost of a wedding and potentially losing half of you cash/house etc.
    It's not exactly the same thing. Marriage brings about:

Improved parental rights for the father.

Next of kin status conferred on each other.

And it can be done without huge wedding costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

You know a lot of very strange people. I know only one single person who fits that bill. She was engaged once. Split a year ago and has now just bought a house with current boyfriend.

Aside from that I know nobody of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Beards are fashionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Same here, but I'm not sure it'll work...
    I don't think marriage will stop his kids being little bastards :pac:

Feck ya anyway.:pac:
    Didn't work for me.

Double feck ya :pac:

Not being married won't save you from halving the house.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There are inheritance and tax benefits to getting married but surely in this day and age that's discrimination against single or co-habiting people

It's really not.

Jesus wept!

Is there anything left that people won't screech discrimination about???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I feel like engagements are used to patch up problems in relationships a fair bit, that was certainly the case for the two engaged couples I know; big huge falling out, reconcilliation, engagement with some bullsh!t logic for it like "not many couples would have pulled through that rough patch".
    At the very least, a lot of engagements are driven by a lack of trust in the other person sticking around without some kind of contract type deal going on, I can't imagine being engaged realistically would alleviate any concerns like that either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

irishmover wrote: »
    You know a lot of very strange people. I know only one single person who fits that bill. She was engaged once. Split a year ago and has now just bought a house with current boyfriend.

Aside from that I know nobody of the sort.

You're probably right there.
    I feel like engagements are used to patch up problems in relationships a fair bit, that was certainly the case for the two engaged couples I know; big huge falling out, reconcilliation, engagement with some bullsh!t logic for it like "not many couples would have pulled through that rough patch".
    At the very least, a lot of engagements are driven by a lack of trust in the other person sticking around without some kind of contract type deal going on, I can't imagine being engaged realistically would alleviate any concerns like that either tbh.

It may be me, but I just don't get how proposing and even the other side, saying yes, fixes a problem in the relationship. I would just see that as delaying the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have a relative who was engaged, split up and both are with new people now. She got engaged again within a year, he's happily living with his new gf (I reckon an engagement will be on the cards soon). They were all wrong for each other, so I'm happy the figured it out before they tied the knot/had kids.

I used to work with a girl who had been engaged 3 times before she got married. She had some massive insecurity issues, so I wasn't remotely surprised when she told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I was engaged once, and would never do it again. I've been through the big romantic proposal, and picking out a ring, and the engagement party, and the cards and presents ... I'd feel like a right tool announcing a new engagement.

I'd never get engaged again, nor would I have a wedding. A €300 marriage would do the job for me, purely for legal reasons. Tell people about it afterwards. No big deal.

I'm 29 and those of my friends who have ever gotten engaged are either now still engaged, or married, or single. I'm really not seeing this trend you're referring to. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

An Indian takeaway for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Seen a couple in their mid twenties getting married recently. Bit of a joke to be honest. Why not just wait a couple more years if you're that committed and in love. Marriage is only good for legal reasons, kids, bills etc. One shouldn't have to put a contract on a relationship which supposedly should be able to stand the test of time. It's like saying "ok now you've signed this contract you can't leave me now". All seems a bit desperate.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Seen a couple in their mid twenties getting married recently. Bit of a joke to be honest. Why not just wait a couple more years if you're that committed and in love. Marriage is only good for legal reasons, kids, bills etc. One shouldn't have to put a contract on a relationship which supposedly should be able to stand the test of time. It's like saying "ok now you've signed this contract you can't leave me now". All seems a bit desperate.

There is a new Energia ad somewhere in that statement :D (You dont have to act like a business to save like one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I don't see the trend you're talking about, under 30's getting engaged several times. I see people getting engaged too young imo, or getting engaged just because it's their first LTR, I think some of them will learn the hard way that things changes even far down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The length of the engagements is another reason why so many of these fail.

So what you're saying is they should rush into a marriage and get a few divorces under their belt instead? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Wan Tun Soup
    Beef with Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
    King Prawn with salt and chilli
    Special fried rice

Lovely job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement