Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

expired learner permit

• 11-10-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I was wondering if anyone could help me on here as I'm in a bit of a pickle..my learner permit for cat A,A2,A1 has just expired and I have my test next week.to be honest I don't feel ready or 100% confident for the test anyway.my.question is this;when I walk into to the office and show the examiner my expired permit will my test then be immediately forfeit before we even step outside?will he issue me a failure cert?I actually need the cert as this is my 3rd or subsequent permit so am i im right in thinking I'll need a failure cert in order to get another 2 year permit?any advice would be appreciated,cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Honestandy wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could help me on here as I'm in a bit of a pickle..my learner permit for cat A,A2,A1 has just expired and I have my test next week.to be honest I don't feel ready or 100% confident for the test anyway.my.question is this;when I walk into to the office and show the examiner my expired permit will my test then be immediately forfeit before we even step outside?will he issue me a failure cert?I actually need the cert as this is my 3rd or subsequent permit so am i im right in thinking I'll need a failure cert in order to get another 2 year permit?any advice would be appreciated,cheers

I think you can postpone the test, I know I did with my test. I even think you have two postponements, but you'd need to check for sure.
    Check the RSA, it is now the NDLS that does licences I should say, but was RSA for info when I did mine.
    But I postponed it well in advance, the more notice you can give them the better. I think if you go in and your learner permit is expired they wont test you and you shouldnt be on the road anyway.

If you postpone it, you might not even lose the fee, depending on if you have done this before, then approach the RSA as you will need to have a learner permit, I think I got a replacement learner permit for 1 yr due to this, for some reason cant recal all the details? getting older maybe.

Anyway, how long have you been on the bike? maybe get some lessons to build confidence about doing it right.
    If you didnt have to do the IBT (3rd permit?) then a few lessons wont be a great expenditure compared to having had to pay for IBT, if you're on the road you should have experience.
    Guy I did lessons with and not even that many lessons, nice guy, easy going, been few years though since I did lessons, went around test routes, so long as you're willing to take honest criticism and heed the advice, should be grand. The guy is in northside Dublin, if you need his name, I'll try locate it and pm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

It's coming up on Monday...!I've already cancelled once,this is the rescheduled one,just didn't realize my permit was out by a matter of days.I've only been on the bike a month or so,it's a.ninja 250,so obviously I'd have to rent an appropriate etc for the test...it really would be easier if the examiner gave me a failure cert on the spot and then I could just go for another permit,im not over fussed about the fee.at this stage...

It's coming up on Monday...!I've already cancelled once,this is the rescheduled one,just didn't realize my permit was out by a matter of days.I've only been on the bike a month or so,it's a.ninja 250,so obviously I'd have to rent an appropriate etc for the test...it really would be easier if the examiner gave me a failure cert on the spot and then I could just go for another permit,im not over fussed about the fee.at this stage...

Someone may come along with some advice better suited, the system is different from when I did my test.
    I did my test on a 250 as an A test, waited 2 years for it to be unrestricted.
    Id have thought the 250 was ok to do the test on? why obvious to rent another bike? what test category are you taking? Id consider ringing them still today in case you can get through,either if you want to cancel it or ring on the morning and ask for advice or try reschedule it, not sure if you'll get a failure cert for turning up with the scenario you describe, contact the NDLS today??? or on Monday assuming the test isnt first thing which gives you time, seems like a waste of time to turn up to do what you're suggesting but someone else may come along and offer a more informed suggestion.

Try get some answers here from someone as to what to do on monday?
    At worst you could turn up, they turn you away, you then have to pay to reschedule it and then get onto the NDLS to reschedule test which might be a requirement of for getting them to issue a new licence.
    Im sure I did something similar as I postponed my test and took it on the rescheduled date, but I did it well in advance, it was the RSA at the time.
    Im sure you could reschedule it twice back then, in fact I may have, memory fading, nearly 2.5 tears ago.

Check the NDLS website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

You have to give the RSA at least ten days notice to cancel your test without losing your fee.
    The examiner will not take you out on the road with an expired learner permit so will give you a cert stating that your test was cancelled & the reason why, you can use this cert to apply for a new learner permit which will be valid for one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

As Roadcraft has advised.
    In addition :
    You have category A1, A2, and A, so you will have to complete IBT if you want do your test on an unrestricted bike Cat A.
    You would have only been able to get an A2 if you had done and passed your test.(if you were on a suitable bike)
    You could have gone to the ndls with the printout of the application for the test confirmation to get a newer Learner permit.
    A 250cc bike is not suitable for any test.

• Advertisement

As Roadcraft has advised.
    In addition :
    You have category A1, A2, and A, so you will have to complete IBT if you want do your test on an unrestricted bike Cat A.
    You would have only been able to get an A2 if you had done and passed your test.(if you were on a suitable bike)
    You could have gone to the ndls with the printout of the application for the test confirmation to get a newer Learner permit.
    A 250cc bike is not suitable for any test.

I havent looked at the new categories regarding progression through them, as I dont need to, but why isnt a 250 suitable for any test?
    It looks like its suitable for the A2 test? unless that bike the said they had is over 35kW?
    Genuine curiosity, I looked before but am not sure what the progression through the categories is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

cerastes wrote: »
    I havent looked at the new categories regarding progression through them, as I dont need to, but why isnt a 250 suitable for any test?
    It looks like its suitable for the A2 test? unless that bike the said they had is over 35kW?
    Genuine curiosity, I looked before but am not sure what the progression through the categories is now.

A bike for the A2 test must be minimum 395cc, which is why 250cc bikes aren't suitable.

gipi wrote: »
    A bike for the A2 test must be minimum 395cc, which is why 250cc bikes aren't suitable.

ok, didnt see that on the NDLS site

Advertisement