Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How important is full service history?

• 11-10-2014 12:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads how much of a difference does this really make? Blade is coming up for second service but I don't have a record of the first - the guy lost it but said to call bikeworld and they would have a record of it. I could send it in there for 2nd service and hopefully they would give me a book and stamp both. But is this necessary, or can I just get it serviced by my local guy and keep everything from here in. Does it make much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Its not something i have ever looked for when buying a bike.
    Its also not something i keep recorded with my own bike. Just never seemed important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would not be sending the beast into bikeworld for a service, would you not do it yourself Colly? Its not as hard as you think.....If you have to send it into Cotters at the very least. If you would like to learn how to do it I will do it for you or with you no probs. I am sure one or two of the lads here will also give a hand.

As regards to the history its handy to have but you will learn alot more from looking and riding any new bike as the history can be fake anyway. I do keep a record off all my services in the back of my haynes manual off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads how much of a difference does this really make? Blade is coming up for second service but I don't have a record of the first - the guy lost it but said to call bikeworld and they would have a record of it. I could send it in there for 2nd service and hopefully they would give me a book and stamp both. But is this necessary, or can I just get it serviced by my local guy and keep everything from here in. Does it make much of a difference?

The question is what is a full service history? If you've a 10 year old bike with 1 service done and recorded it's a got full service history.

Personally I've never been too bother with FSH when buying a bike or car I judge it on condition and the seller, as said FSH is easy to fake. In saying that I've just paid out for my 1st ever dealer service as I'm thinking a full dealer history might make my bike easier to sell on, the bike is still relatively new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The question should be is it important to you? I.e when do you plan to sell it and do you plan to sell privately or trade it in?

My bike is 12 years old now, I bought it early last year. A bike of that age has to be judged on condition, it came with no history but I was happy with the bike and it turned out I got a great bike at a great price.

I track my own expenses on my fuelio app, when I buy brake pads I put in the price & the date + mileage they were fitted at. Same goes for oil, filters, plugs etc. Got calipers rebuilt last year, inputted that. If and when I go to sell it I can export the data and email it to a prospective buyer. It also has my full fuel and mileage details so they can see how often/little it has been used.

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered about a service history on an older bike. And on a newer bike i'd only be looking for something if it was high mileage, but I don't think i'd buy a new + high mileage bike myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends on the person buying. It's nice to have but would make little difference to me. From my experience it's not worth the extra money that you'll get for the bike when selling it. I go to the local guy, but I've had good local guys that I can trust.
    Not sure what bikeworld are like at servicing, but I imagine they're expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair enough thanks lads. Sure as long as I keep all the receipts and info of things I spend on the bike I'm sure I'll be grand. I bought this bike thinking i'd have it for many many years so by the time I do sell it - it prob won't make much difference. (Although I have a hankering for a Ducati 1098 right now hahah - but totally not going to happen!)

Wonda thanks a mil yes I would deffo be on for that. I'm sure I could do a lot of it myself if I gave it a shot - but would be nice to be shown properly. My brake pads need doing and I'm sure that's dead simple. Oil change is the same. But I'm sure there are other aspects I would not be so confident on. I do however have some new levers and Hell brake lines - would be good to do the lot at the same time.

Actually quick question while I'm at it: I'm getting low on oil, and need to top it up. Manual says 10w30 but all I have is 10w40 - am I ok to top it up with this or should I only use the exact recommended oil?

Wonda thanks a mil yes I would deffo be on for that.

Boards winter workshops? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hhah yeah maybe we should have a servicing meetup!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Vikings wrote: »
    fuelio

Interesting app idea, do you use the free or the pro, do you find it good? Worth the pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Actually quick question while I'm at it: I'm getting low on oil, and need to top it up. Manual says 10w30 but all I have is 10w40 - am I ok to top it up with this or should I only use the exact recommended oil?

In an ideal world you shouldn't mix oils, my bike doesn't even recommend mixing brands!!, but any oil is better than no oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

AFAIK its the 1st 3 digits that are important. The last 2 are just the max operating temp, I taught that 10w40 was the norm for all bikes with our climate. Deffo dont mix them but either one would be fine either the 10w30 or 10w40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Do most of the servicing myself on the 1250. Service record didn't mean that much to me when I bought the bike. I think one can tell a hell of a lot about a machine from a test ride and a good look about the bike. Good condition tyres, C&S, Oil, brake pads, bearings, brake fluid etc.. tell a lot and is a good starting point. If they are a problem what else has the owner neglected on it?

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Interesting app idea, do you use the free or the pro, do you find it good? Worth the pro?

Used the free with my first bike, then somewhere between that and getting the Fazer I paid for the pro version. I liked the auto dropbox backup and some of the extra stats sounded good. But it was more to give something back to the developer, he regularly updates the app and is always looking to add more functionality to it.

Advertisement