Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes.

• 11-10-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Why is it that in a country where so many are apparently overweight and obesity is a big issue is everything in clothing stores made for really skinny people ? Do larger people not buy clothes ? Or is there actually not that many people that are overweight ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Skinny people buy more clothes cos they are colder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

all i know is that mediums have gone far too fat and smalls have gone far too small.

What happened to normal medium clothes? or mediums without the neck line hanging around the shoulders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

34 inches is still 34 inches presumably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It costs clothing companies a huge amount to add a new size to a range of clothes, that's why they keep it to the sizes that are most likely to be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

kneemos wrote: »

not according to the measurement departments in the sweat shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

not according to the measurement departments in the sweat shops

Measurement department ? Sure thats just little Achmed , he'd be happy to add a few inches onto waistlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Never had a problem finding clothes except during sale time when the only thing that's left is either really big or really small. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

all i know is that mediums have gone far too fat

Maybe it's all the stress of communicating with the dead.

I think it's only River Island, Next et al that have clothes for emaciated men. I suppose they don't want fatties wearing their clothes, which is understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The wife hasn't complained...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I think women's clothing is particularly bad when it comes to sizing because clothes are generally just given a number rather than actually displaying their measurements. Leg length is one of the few exceptions but other than that, you're buying a size 10/12 or a small or a medium and those numbers have nothing to do with the actual measurements.

Because of this there's a lot of differences between shops and even within the same shop. I have clothes from new look in three different sizes. I think marketing can be a factor too. I don't have a source for this but I heard that a few shops started making their clothes bigger but kept the sizes the same to fool women into thinking they're smaller and to boost confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 11 Sub_Merged

Ii wouldn't be so sure. The 32" waist of a few pairs of jeans I have is actually 34"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The current day medium is the same measurements that an XL was in 1970. For anybody that doesn't know; a medium is the size that is going to sell the most.

A friend of mine has a BMI at the exact middle of healthy 21.75 and XS clothes literally fall off her in some places. Vanity sizing is getting out of control.

Everybody has trouble finding clothes that fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I find the opposite tbh, everything is all baggy, it's hard to get tops that are not in that oversized loose-fit style so you end up buying a size or 2 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I find the opposite tbh, everything is all baggy, it's hard to get tops that are not in that oversized loose-fit style so you end up buying a size or 2 down.

I find it the same. All my clothes are ancient now simply because I dont have enough time to go shopping. I try on mediums and they have either gone way too big for me. As for jumpers - forget it.

I know its not me because with things like shoes I'm obviously still the same size Ive always been. People have to buy the proper size shoes so there is no problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sky King wrote: »
    Maybe it's all the stress of communicating with the dead.

I think it's only River Island, Next et al that have clothes for emaciated men. I suppose they don't want fatties wearing their clothes, which is understandable.

Topshop/Topman is the worst culprit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

xxmeabhxx wrote: »
    I think women's clothing is particularly bad when it comes to sizing because clothes are generally just given a number rather than actually displaying their measurements. Leg length is one of the few exceptions but other than that, you're buying a size 10/12 or a small or a medium and those numbers have nothing to do with the actual measurements.

Because of this there's a lot of differences between shops and even within the same shop. I have clothes from new look in three different sizes. I think marketing can be a factor too. I don't have a source for this but I heard that a few shops started making their clothes bigger but kept the sizes the same to fool women into thinking they're smaller and to boost confidence.

Womens clothes are very tough to size. You can find two of the same height and weight who are completely different shaped on chest, waist and hips.

I will say guys clothes are a bit weird. Whenever I'm shopping for jeans I can never find them in the right size/length.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Larianne wrote: »
    Topshop/Topman is the worst culprit!

****e clothes,****e quality and double the price.

I honestly dont know how anybody can justify shopping in topman,everything i've bought in there has gone to crap and into the bin within two cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

****e clothes,****e quality and double the price.

I honestly dont know how anybody can justify shopping in topman,everything i've bought in there has gone to crap and into the bin within two cycles.

+1 Topman is pure muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My personal rule of thumb is that when the clothes are in too small a size for me, I'm looking at clothes that I'm too old to wear without looking like a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Murder trying to find a 30 inch waist in H&M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I find it the same. All my clothes are ancient now simply because I dont have enough time to go shopping. I try on mediums and they have either gone way too big for me. As for jumpers - forget it.

I know its not me because with things like shoes I'm obviously still the same size Ive always been. People have to buy the proper size shoes so there is no problem there.

Likewise pretty light now admittedly but I need a belt with all my pants even when I find them in my size. At my heaviest at a tad under 13 stone lot of 30" pants were still bigger meaning I Still needed a belt so they didn't feel like they were falling off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

From my experience T-shirts,tops,shirts you buy in shops here are for sized for midget asian menfolk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There are also only tall men in Ireland as well. If you are under 5'8" you're ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

I blame the gym culture that is rampant here at the moment and the excessive narcissism of today's youth. I cant get a tshirt that doesn't cling to my body anymore - and I'm a scrawny f*cker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Part of the problem is that shops are cutting back on the amount of material used in clothes resulting in less generic fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

For womens clothes, each store which has a size 14 for example are not exactly 14. Some will be a 12 and some will be a 16 when tried on, its as if the clothing measure people went to different schools :);)

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    I blame the gym culture that is rampant here at the moment and the excessive narcissism of today's youth. I cant get a tshirt that doesn't cling to my body anymore - and I'm a scrawny f*cker!

Savile row company...loose fitting t's for twenty odd quid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm kinda tall and really skinny..nothing ever fits me. Small size stuff are always too short, medium size is a little short but it's baggy and large is too baggy but the right length. It's awful :(

And what's with those shirts that fit my chest perfectly and are the right length but has sleeves wide enough for three arms the size of mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Clothes! Everyone's wearin' 'em. Clothes! They're the latest craze. Clothes! Hey whatcha wearin there? Clothes! They sure are swell...

The end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why is it that in a country where so many are apparently overweight and obesity is a big issue is everything in clothing stores made for really skinny people ? Do larger people not buy clothes ? Or is there actually not that many people that are overweight ?

All the fat people buy the clothes when they are new in. By the time you get there the unpopular skinny sizes are left. Science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

moxin wrote: »
    For womens clothes, each store which has a size 14 for example are not exactly 14. Some will be a 12 and some will be a 16 when tried on, its as if the clothing measure people went to different schools :);)

Not even remotely true. In the history of clothes there has never been a size 12 that was sold as a size 14. The issue is that the current size 14 is the same size as what a size 8 was a few decades ago. Without exception clothing lines tend towards various degrees of flattery sizing. If you buy and 14 and think it is a 12 you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

Not even remotely true. In the history of clothes there has never been a size 12 that was sold as a size 14. The issue is that the current size 14 is the same size as what a size 8 was a few decades ago. Without exception clothing lines tend towards various degrees of flattery sizing. If you buy and 14 and think it is a 12 you are wrong.

Sorry but I'd have to disagree! Firstly, it's almost impossible to define what a "right" size 10 or 12 should be like because it just isn't standardised. While I don't doubt that clothes sizes change over time, that's not the only issue. I guarantee you if I went shopping for jeans tomorrow and tried on similar styles in different shops, I'd need different sizes depending on the shop. I know this is true because it's happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

If your obese and have no shape or make to you it doesn't matter what you wear, just buy a huge wooly jumper or an xxl t-shirt with a funny slogan on it.

Try shopping for shirts when you have broad shoulders and a narrow waist, I literally have to get every shirt taken in or else I look like I don't know how to dress myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

most clothes shops cater for those that are super skinny, or those that are overtly gay.

If you acutally have legs muscle for example.. good luck finding jeans that arnt those horrible skinny ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

twinytwo wrote: »
    most clothes shops cater for those that are super skinny, or those that are overtly gay.

If you acutally have legs muscle for example.. good luck finding jeans that arnt those horrible skinny ones.
    Literally every clothes shop in Ireland sells straight-fit, non-skinny jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've mostly stopped buying jeans in the last few years, because the waists are too low. I need trousers that stay up when I'm walking, preferably without a belt, and cover my bum when I'm sitting down.

Jeans were originally designed to be work clothes, their fashion status only came much later. The one pair I have is "boot cut", still too low unless I wear a belt and only good when I'm on my feet.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

bnt wrote: »
    I've mostly stopped buying jeans in the last few years, because the waists are too low. I need trousers that stay up when I'm walking, preferably without a belt, and cover my bum when I'm sitting down.

Jeans were originally designed to be work clothes, their fashion status only came much later. The one pair I have is "boot cut", still too low unless I wear a belt and only good when I'm on my feet.

Got a pair of Wranglers recently on Amazon with a normal waist.Those low cut waists are just annoying,I'm constantly pulling them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

moxin wrote: »

This is true. M & S are notorious for flattering sizing so that people who don't like their size feel so good when they discover a garment that appears to be a size smaller fits, that they buy it.

Advertisement