Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Gibraltar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Gibson take a knock?

Edit: He sure did :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

At least this shows that we shouldn't play two up top for the foreseeable future. This performance is pretty poor now.

I think it's just the choice of two up front in my opinion. Long and Stokes would do a lot better up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think it's just the choice of two up front in my opinion. Long and Stokes would do a lot better up there.

Probably the centre mid choices too. We haven't been able to get it to the front men at all now. Hendrick and Gibson too slow in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Subbing the keeper was the best thing they've done. He is at least more confident that the other fella and seems to have a better effect on his defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I can see Germany scoring from a corner against us. We don't defend them very well.

Probably the centre mid choices too. We haven't been able to get it to the front men at all now. Hendrick and Gibson too slow in possession.

Very true, missing McCarthy big time

We might see a reverse of this scoreline against the Germans :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Subbing the keeper was the best thing they've done. He is at least more confident that the other fella and seems to have a better effect on his defence.

Nothing to do with the keeper. All to do with Ireland's forwards since the changes. Absolute shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

George Hamilton waging war on the English language just now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

We've scored 7 but we could have scored so much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

When Keane is too tired to continue we should just put a cardboard cut-out of him up front. It'd offer more threat than Doyle and Murphy combined and at the very least one of the opposition defenders might fall over it or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From the BBC.
    Robbie Keane's hat-trick for Republic of Ireland against Gibraltar means no player has ever scored more goals in European Championship qualifying matches than him. It is still 7-0 in Dublin, by the way.

_78159652_robbiekeane.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gib's reserve keeper should have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Should be Kevin Doyle's last game for Ireland. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I can see Germany scoring from all corners against us. We don't defend them very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Aodhagan wrote: »

Defence has not been tested since Holahan and Keane cam off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazingly even with a 7-0 scoreline it looks like the Gibraltar keeper will claim a clean sheet.

Isn't Gibraltar not even a member of FIFA? So this game has no say on our rankings...thats disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Billy86 wrote: »
    I really can't recall seeing anyone look as slow and stiff in an Irish Jersey as O'Shea has tonight.

Andy Reid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Isn't Gibraltar not even a member of FIFA? So this game has no say on our rankings...thats disappointing.

As if the rankings actually mean anything

Daryl Murphy really has no place in international football.

Nothing to do with the keeper. All to do with Ireland's forwards since the changes. Absolute shyte

I know that is a big reason why they haven't conceded but he has definitely been better in what he has had to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

You're all jumping to conclusions about players and the defence. O'Shea has been class this season for Sunderland and played well againt Georgia. **** like this always happens against bad sides

They do in terms of draws for qualification

You're all jumping to conclusions about players and the defence. O'Shea has been class this season for Sunderland and played well againt Georgia. **** like this always happens against bad sides

Ah yeah, he is still our best centre-back. He just looked remarkably slow today, even for a player of his age who was never a burner to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Daryl Murphy & Kevin Doyle should never get another cap, both of them are fair useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

keith16 wrote: »
    Well there ya go, I didn't know that, but I am not surprised.

This is the type of crap he talks. I know you're meant to instil confidence in your team....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/european-championships/we-can-reach-playoffs-insists-gibraltar-manager-30655356.html

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

They mean we have probably the hardest group for qualification instead of a good one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Ah yeah, he is still our best centre-back. He just looked remarkably slow today, even for a player of his age who was never a burner to begin with.

I agree he looked slower than usual today though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well at least the game confirms Gibson isn't up to the mark.

• Advertisement

Pure comedy in the Scotland game delays a sub over 2 minutes... Guy holding the sign for the player going on/off apparently had no idea how to work the thing. :pac:

Brady brings up Keane again ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

How many times did George Hamilton say that " Its the first time that an Irish team scored 7 at Landstown/Aviva."

dsmythy wrote: »

The only positive is that it was never hoping go to affect the result today, and is unfortunately highly unlikely to do so against Ze Germans either, only in the reverse. We'll need him and McCarthy back to full fitness and form for the Scotland and Poland matches though, that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Game went to pot once Hoolahan went off. BY far the best player on the pitch all night.

Gibraltar actually bought in one or two half-decent looking semi-competent players off the bench.

Liam Brady holding the torch for the useless auld fart punditry still hanging around RTE like the stench of an auld fart. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ireland stopped playing once the subs were made, so anything that happened in that match after that is not indicative of anything, apart from the fact that Doyle is a nothing player now, Daryl Murphy has no business playing international football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Daryl Murphy was something else. And not in a good way.

Finally some intelligent debate and discussion from an RTE panel. They should just leave the 2 codgers off to do Cadbury's ads for themselves in future.

Both Daryll Murphy and Kevin Doyle had free headers in the box that they both let hit their faces and go harmlessly wide.

• Advertisement

Liam Brady holding the torch for the useless auld fart punditry still hanging around RTE like the stench of an auld fart. :rolleyes:

Stubborn old goat Brady although he is the best of the 3 stooges. (Which tbh is nothing to write home about either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

dsmythy wrote: »

Coming back from a year out of the game so wouldn't write him off completely. That said would Stephen Quinn do a better job against Germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Poland vs Germany on ITV 4 19:45

Stubborn old goat Brady although he is the best of the 3 stooges. (Which tbh is nothing to write home about either)

That is true, but it amazes me those three a tally think "no, no, no, no, no..." is any kind of punditry. Thnakfully they are now being nudged aside, I think the World Cup embarrassment was the last straw (while Kerr as a commentator, Sadlier (and Friedel/Hamann) as a pundit, and even Kenny all showed then up entirely).

Is Friedel still based in the UK? I'd love to see more of him as a pundit. Very genuine and knowledgeable guy.

Hamann is marmite I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Don't worry lads. Giles and Dunphy are just on the bench getting warmed up for the important match against Germany. That's where their expertise really shines.

Don't worry lads. Giles and Dunphy are just on the bench getting warmed up for the important match against Germany. That's where their expertise really shines.

Sad truth. Time to hear Giles talk about how Schurrle shouldn't be a professional footballer again, and trying to label the goal he will inevitably score as "an accident" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

thelad95 wrote: »
    Both Daryll Murphy and Kevin Doyle had free headers in the box that they both let hit their faces and go harmlessly wide.

I'd pick Cillian Sheridan over either of them.

He's playing in the Champions League and playing regularly at his club at a good level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Was there any indication at the end from MON about whether Hoolahan would start v Germany. I hope he starts him and plays Long up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

jacool wrote: »
    I'm on this being a big win for the Republic.
    Poland won 7-0 and we should be trying to match that at least.
    Keane might be saved for Tuesday night, with free-scoring Daryl Murphy, maybe, getting a call up.
    Best bet of the night - second half to be the one with most goals @4/5. Can see them being very defensive from the off.
    Thank God Trap's not in charge or this would be 1-0!

Ka-ching!!
    albeit chiefly down to the man I thought would be rested :)

Advertisement