Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to have TV cables and power cable in the same conduit?

Options
  • 11-10-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of getting sky installed and I have a few questions. I met with the installer last week and he advised that I needed to have two cables -( shotgun twin ct65 or WF 65 cables installed from the dish to the sky box to give me two signals into the sky box so that I could record and watch TV at the same time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WF65-coaxial-cable-extras-black/dp/B002FOMAAW

These cables are fairly thin in comparison to the coaxial cable that was in the conduit up to now.

The shotgun/ twin cables will be going into a conduit with an insulated wire which provides power to a socket in the TV room. Is it safe enough to run the shotgun cables and the power cable in the same conduit. Is there any danger that they could over heat?
    In addition to this, I might have to put an eircom efibre cable into this conduit as well. Would this be ok or would it be safe enough as well?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Strictly speaking you should ensure that the insulation of the satellite cabling is suitable for the highest voltage present (230V). If the power cables were drawing a very large current the potential for interference exists.

In the real world it should be ok.

Fiber optic cables transmits light signals so the do not contain an electrical conductor, therefore no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

I don't anticipate interference happening with the cables but I am more concerned about the chances of a fire occurring or it sparking off a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would put your mind at risk op, alot of houses that were built in the boom have sharing conduits as the electrician was too lazy to chase an extra chase or pay the chaser to make another cut.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kala85 wrote: »
    I don't anticipate interference happening with the cables but I am more concerned about the chances of a fire occurring or it sparking off a fire.

There is no increased risk of sparks.

The biggest concern is that the satellite cabling would come live although the chances of this are quite remote.

2011 wrote: »

The biggest concern is that the satellite cabling would come live although the chances of this are quite remote.

Better odds in winning the lotto than it happening i say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Obviously standard good practice is separate conduits and a gap approx 50mm or so

Back in the old days you might see them in the same conduit.

Is the satellite cable even rated to go into the same conduit, I think it possibly is

Back in the old days, i know several contractors still doing it.

Back in the old days, i know several contractors still doing it.

Mickey mouse ones

Good practice is to separate phone, network, TV, alarm from mains cabling

Of course it is, these guys are old school no changing their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Efibre is not run on fibre optic at the customers premises. The network only uses fibre optic to the roadside cabinet, its copper from the cabinet to the modem. I would separate the phone cable/broadband from the power cable, irrespective of how many contractors that have not done so in the past or how many posts you receive telling you of no issues combining the two cables.

• Advertisement

sparky63 wrote: »
    Efibre is not run on fibre optic at the customers premises.
    Efibre and twin satellite and power in the one conduit wah

Pull in a draw wire for a SWA later too..

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Is there a point to your comment.

sparky63 wrote: »
    Efibre is not run on fibre optic at the customers premises. The network only uses fibre optic to the roadside cabinet, its copper from the cabinet to the modem.

In most cases you are correct. I misread the OP.

However not in all cases. See link.
    If you are lucky enough to have an FTTH (fibre to the home) connection, the fibre-optic cables run all the way into your house and provides much faster speeds of up to 200Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Both the power cable and the tv cable are already covered in their own insulation. And then put into the conduit.

There was already a ct100 tv cable in with the electrical power cable, but the new ct 65 are very thin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Just goes to show how regs can differ from country to country. Worked with a sparky in Australia - min gap between electric and co-ax was 100mm.

kala85 wrote: »
    Both the power cable and the tv cable are already covered in their own insulation.

Of course they are, but to comply fully you need to know what voltage the insulation of all of all of the cables that are grouped with the 230VAC power cable are rated to. Once you can demonstrate that they are rated to 230VAC you satisfy the regulations.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Just goes to show how regs can differ from country to country. Worked with a sparky in Australia - min gap between electric and co-ax was 100mm.

That is pretty much standard practice here to.

Advertisement