Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol licence

Options
  • 11-10-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Would anyone point me in the right direction or offer some advice.

How would I go about obtaining a licence to sell Alcohol online?

Small business and this would be part of a bigger range.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Afaik, you need to have a licenced premises, ie an Off Licence in order to sell alcohol online in Ireland.

There was a Prime Time report a few years ago about off licences in Dublin selling to underage kids who ordered online so it's a ropey business at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Thanks. It would be high end and not the type of thing that underage drinkers could afford.
    I would be surprised if it wasn't allowed at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

if you only took credit card payments you might get around the underage drinkers

Help!!!! wrote: »
    if you only took credit card payments you might get around the underage drinkers

It'd be Moet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If selling alcohol online you still need to check ID. So if you have some way of doing that great, generally it's done on delivery.

• Advertisement

collegeme wrote: »
    It'd be Moet etc.

Yeah but if u want to get a licence to sell adult products whether it be alcohol or blow up dolls it will be easier to get if you make it harder for kids to be able to buy.
    You have to be over 18 to have a credit card

That wouldn't work, kids could use parents cards.

You have to be over 18 to have a credit card

No you don't. You just need to be 18 to get any sort of reasonable limit on it. I was offered on at 16.

GarIT wrote: »
    No you don't. You just need to be 18 to get any sort of reasonable limit on it. I was offered on at 16.

credit cannot be offered to anyone under 18
    That's why a lot of adult websites only take credit card payments

AIB will give credit cards to college students regardless of age.

Either way the law requires you check ID when selling Alcohol. A credit card isn't ID.

• Advertisement

AIB will give credit cards to college students regardless of age.

Either way the law requires you check ID when selling Alcohol. A credit card isn't ID.

**Applicants for an AIB Student MasterCard must be a third level student in full-time education and have or open an AIB Student Plus Account. They must also have held a bank account for a minimum of 6 months, and must be at least 18 years of age

**Applicants for an AIB Student MasterCard must be a third level student in full-time education and have or open an AIB Student Plus Account. They must also have held a bank account for a minimum of 6 months, and must be at least 18 years of age

Fair enough, but their actions and policies differ.

Fair enough, but their actions and policies differ.

yeah probably if a guardian co-signs they may get one but if the OP only takes credit card payments for alcohol then it kinda shows they trying to keep it away from underage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

What about visa debit, O2 money card, Skrill, 3V ect?

What about visa debit, O2 money card, Skrill, 3V ect?

Look on an adult website, the majority will only take credit cards

Thanks everyone. The question was about getting a licence. My ideas would be over €100 a bottle so not something that I'd be too worried about to be honest at the moment. That would come after I know whether I can obtain a licence or not.

Thanks everyone. The question was about getting a licence. My ideas would be over €100 a bottle so not something that I'd be too worried about to be honest.

Unfortunately what you are worried about isn't really relevant. Even if it was 10k a bottle, you still have to satisfy that you are doing the necessary age checks.

Unfortunately what you are worried about isn't really relevant. Even if it was 10k a bottle, so still have to satisfy that you are doing the necessary age checks.

But why would I worry about this to then find that I can't obtain a licence. That's just silly.
    Step 1 = can it be done?.
    Step 2 = if yes, then take the necessary precautions.

But why would I worry about this to then find that I can't obtain a licence. That's just silly. Step 1 = can it be done. Step 2 = if yes, then take the necessary precautions.

I don't understand you. You won't get a licence unless you show your plans on how you will check ID and trust me they won't accept "I'll only be selling things over €100" as a valid answer.

Thanks. It would be high end and not the type of thing that underage drinkers could afford.
    I would be surprised if it wasn't allowed at all to be honest.

A Google search returns off licences only. I'd imagine there'd be a lot more doing it if it was possible.

http://comptonsolicitors.ie/online-sale-of-alcohol-or-sale-of-alcohol-via-internet

• Advertisement

I don't understand you. You won't get a licence unless you show your plans on how you will check ID and trust me they won't accept "I'll only be selling things over €100" as a valid answer.

Ok so you seem to know about it. Who do I show my plans to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

http://comptonsolicitors.ie/how-to-get-an-off-licence-for-your-shop

In order to purchase the consent of the holder of an existing licence to the extinguishment of their licence you can expect to pay approximately €75,000 at present.

Do you have €75,000 ?

Interesting. I would wonder whether they actually ship it to you though or if they sell it on somebody elses behalf.

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    http://comptonsolicitors.ie/how-to-get-an-off-licence-for-your-shop

In order to purchase the consent of the holder of an existing licence to the extinguishment of their licence you can expect to pay approximately €75,000 at present.

Do you have €75,000 ?

Do you want to sell wine only?

For licensing purposes “wine” is defined as wine imported into the State and includes sherry. A wine retailer’s off-licence is the licence which should be obtained by convenience stores and shops for the sale of wine and sherry for consumption off the premises. Since July 2008, in order to obtain a wine licence for your shop, you must apply to your local District Court for a wine retailer’s off licence certificate, which will enable you to obtain a wine licence from customs and excise on payment of a fee of €500. This licence must then be renewed annually through customs and excises.

Ok so you seem to know about it. Who do I show my plans to ?

A solicitor knowledgeable in the area.

A solicitor knowledgeable in the area.

Are you sure I need a solicitor to see how to apply? I wouldn't have though so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

28 posts in and OP has not copped, you require a licence to sell alcoholic beverages in THIS country. It does not matter whether it is Dutch Gold or foc*king Moet. The answer to post1 is, talk to your local licensing authority.

pedronomix wrote: »
    28 posts in and OP has not copped, you require a licence to sell alcoholic beverages in THIS country. It does not matter whether it is Dutch Gold or foc*king Moet. The answer to post1 is, talk to your local licensing authority.

Have you read my question. I specifically asked how to obtain a licence and if you can get one for online sales. All i've had are talk about credit cards , id and hilarious negativity.

Edited to add your last 5 posts (haven't glanced further) are just negative posts on the entrepreneur threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

have you read the answer or do you just ignore what does not suit you. The online part is 100% irrelevant, the same laws apply for off premises consumption, and you apply to your local licensing authority. You appear to be considering going into a business that you do not have the first clue about and are hell bent on not learning, take your pick. please quaff another glass of Moet before replying!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement