Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alterations in Dublin city centre

• 11-10-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a lovely navy blazer from New Look that's just warm enough to wear now that the weather has started to turn. My only problem is that it doesn't close, and I think it would look much nicer with a single button just under where the lapels end (kind of at bellllybutton level on me). I can sew a button no problem, but I'm not willing to try and create a buttonhole and potentially ruin the whole thing!

Any suggestions on where I could go to have these alterations done? I live around the Ballsbridge/Grand Canal Dock area and work in Fairview/Clontarf, so anywhere in those areas or in the city centre would be ideal.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Buy a hook and bar, much easier to sew in and will sit better in a coat with no closure.

A hook and bar is usual used at the waist on trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Buy a hook and bar, much easier to sew in and will sit better in a coat with no closure.

Thanks for the tip, I might give this a go.

A have a few other pieces that need bits repaired/replaced so I'd still appreciate any recommendations for an alterations service. Might as well get them all sorted in one go!

Ah, I see, I can sew, but I have used Fashion Hot House for commercial work:

http://www.fashionhothouse.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 adohar

jokettle wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, I might give this a go.

A have a few other pieces that need bits repaired/replaced so I'd still appreciate any recommendations for an alterations service. Might as well get them all sorted in one go!

There's an alterations place on South Anne St just above La Cave. I've used them a few times and never a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Des Byrne opposite Weir's jewellers on Grafton Street are very good.

Cheap they ain't, but they won't ruin your clothes either (something that happened me when I went to a recommended "local woman" another time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

adohar wrote: »
    There's an alterations place on South Anne St just above La Cave. I've used them a few times and never a problem.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

adohar wrote: »
    +1

They are really good. I've used them for suit trousers, leather skirt, jeans and they're always perfect.

They are called The Alteration Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

Bogart's on Capel street do a nice job in the city center.

For the best service and prices and finest work I go to a lady in Tempelogue. Her shop is called Zig Zag. Just over an Italian chipper silvios or Borza or one of those. Its worth the little bit of distance to get really good quality work done. She takes things in and up for me all the time. She even rescues my boyfriends old jeans with this patchwork darning process I haven't seen before. He loves his old jeans and she makes them like new around the bottom area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I go to Fitz on Abbey Street, find them very good. I've had basic alterations like trouser hems done as well as more difficult ones such as reshaping a skirt.

Bogart's on Capel street do a nice job in the city center.

For the best service and prices and finest work I go to a lady in Tempelogue. Her shop is called Zig Zag. Just over an Italian chipper silvios or Borza or one of those. Its worth the little bit of distance to get really good quality work done. She takes things in and up for me all the time. She even rescues my boyfriends old jeans with this patchwork darning process I haven't seen before. He loves his old jeans and she makes them like new around the bottom area.

Free style darning should be standard on the seat of men's jeans, it's always the first place to go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement