Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 Tikka t3 lite ammo

Options
  • 11-10-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Lads going to buy a good few rounds for the tikka t3,so I might as well ask you guys what ammo your gun likes..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Lads going to buy a good few rounds for the tikka t3,so I might as well ask you guys what ammo your gun likes..

Mine loves Loves 55 grain vmax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Is it the 1:8 or 1:12 as the lite comes in both twists.

I have a 1:8 tactical and have shot 40gr, 50gr, 55gr v max and 75gr bthp with out a problem.

Only ammo that I didn't like out of it was 53gr and 55gr Superformance in vmax and gmx. Others tried to get them to group out of my rifle and had bad results also.

They might be fine out of a 1:12 with the slower twist.

Best thing to do is try as many out as you can.

But I would think 40,50,55 vmax should be fine in either twist.

My current favorite is Norma 50gr vmax.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

55gr v max here too. Mines a 1:8 twist. Leaves little shamrock shaped holes at 100 yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Beretta man

Ha sorry should have said its a 1:8 twist

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

amadablam wrote: »
    Is it the 1:8 or 1:12 as the lite comes in both twists.

I have a 1:8 tactical and have shot 40gr, 50gr, 55gr v max and 75gr bthp with out a problem.

Only ammo that I didn't like out of it was 53gr and 55gr Superformance in vmax and gmx. Others tried to get them to group out of my rifle and had bad results also.

They might be fine out of a 1:12 with the slower twist.

Best thing to do is try as many out as you can.

But I would think 40,50,55 vmax should be fine in either twist.

My current favorite is Norma 50gr vmax.

Where are you getting the Norma supposed to be a great round??

Cheers phil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

I had a tikka lite for a year or two (1 in 8) and it was a great rifle I regret trading it to be honest. Pretty much what the lads said above. 55 grain v-max was a great round for foxing and rabbiting etc, but when I had some extra money or if I wanted to push it out and take some long range shots the 75gr hornady TAPs were the business. I was able to push those bad boys out to over half a kiliometer. You could see the vapour trail behind them and then give it a second or two and then hear a faint "dong" in the distance. Great craic just shame about the price.

tldr... cheap and cheerful = 55 grain vmax..... if moneys no problem or you want longrange = 75 Grain Hornady Taps

Thanks for that 55grain vmax it is..
    All I need now is to get a deal on a batch

philmire wrote: »
    Where are you getting the Norma supposed to be a great round??

Cheers phil

They really are the best I have used to be honest.

Paddy Carley can get them but they are hard to find so he might only get small batches at a time.

He also does the Sako arrowhead but they are quite pricey.

Thanks for that 55grain vmax it is..
    All I need now is to get a deal on a batch

How many you looking?

gunny558 wrote: »
    How many you looking?

Maybe 100 rounds if I get a deal if not I'll just get 60

• Advertisement

Maybe 100 rounds if I get a deal if not I'll just get 60

A hundred... :confused: I dont mean to be an ass but you're not going to get much of a deal on a hundred rounds. Maybe you might get free postage or a tenner off.

You want to see can you get a few lads from the club to all bunch in and everyone gets a hundred.

My own lad wouldnt entertain the idea of any serious discounts until your buying at least a thousand rounds.

Free postage would do me fine..
    Just don't want to pay 30 euro for a box as is been charged my local shop

30 euro for vmax :eek: I wouldnt pay that. Sure the TAPS were 30euro a box when I was buying them. If I was you Id give Brian over in galway a call, think I was buying them off him for about 24 a box and he gives free postage too if ya buy a few boxes.

24 euro a box sounds very good..
    Will give him a ring in a few days

John Lambert quoted me €110 per 100 for 40gr or 55gr vmax. That's a great price in my experience. :)

Not sure on the delivery price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

you don't happen to live in the Bandon area by any chance ?
    last time i bought 55gr v max there,i was charged 33 euro a box . most expensive place to purchase ammo in the country .Haven't been back again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If your up in Cork try TW Murray in Patrick Street, sometimes he has the Hornady stuff in and he's always reasonable, 25 - 26 euro a box.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

John Lambert in wexford does 5 boxes for €110 - I dont think you'll find a better price around

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Paul O'Halloran in Drangan was selling American Eagles recently working out at €13/box. Not sure if this is what you are after but its a lot cheaper.

Advertisement