Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you send a PhD lit review for peer review?

• 11-10-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Is this common? If so, any ideas on to what extent the original work has to be amended to conform to the journal's style? I realise that question is rather open ended.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You'd need to find a journal that accepts unsolicited reviews in the area of your research. I'd also involve your supervisor for multiple reasons:
    • You will most likely need their approval to submit (and their name will be on the paper too)
    • They might have a preferred journal in mind - relating to impact factor in particular (bear in mind, all submissions from an institution affects their overall average for publication impact factor)
    • An editor is much more likely to respond favourably towards correspondence from a PI
    • Submission fees will get covered by your(their) grant.

Style for submissions varies from journal to journal. There's also word limits to conform to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

What field and do you just mean a review-styled article? There's plenty of journals which specialize in publishing these.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

dyl10 wrote: »
    What field and do you just mean a review-styled article? There's plenty of journals which specialize in publishing these.

Biological sciences area. No I mean the actual review, maybe in abbreviated form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Biological sciences area. No I mean the actual review, maybe in abbreviated form.
    If you can be more specific, I might be able to suggest a suitable journal.

But you can't just submit an article formatted any old way to a journal - you have to conform to their guidelines. For example:
    http://www.cell.com/current-biology/authors

You would also generally have to contact the editor first before submitting to see if they would be interested in publishing your review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

djpbarry wrote: »
    If you can be more specific, I might be able to suggest a suitable journal.

But you can't just submit an article formatted any old way to a journal - you have to conform to their guidelines. For example:
    http://www.cell.com/current-biology/authors

You would also generally have to contact the editor first before submitting to see if they would be interested in publishing your review.

Aiming high with cell :pac:

Alternatively, what I did (or am doing) with my intro, you could look to publish it as a book chapter.

Speak to your PI. My old one always got requests for review articles. We needed to tweak my intro for the book chapter but it's doable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement