Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ecco shoes?

• 11-10-2014 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi they look lovely, they look like they are durable, but the prices are very high. Saw nothing for less than E140 there today. If I was to invest that in footwear, I'd need to be fairly sure it would be with me for a number of years. What's others experience with Ecco?

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I have a pair of Ecco boots that I bought last year after searching 9 or 10 counties for the perfect ones! They're among the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, equal only to Reiker, another comfort brand. In my opinion they're well worth the extra money, as they're very well made and the leather wears well. Have a good scout around online once you've found the perfect pair, you might just find the same ones for less (or find a promotional code that would reduce the cost).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd highly recommend Ecco. I've had two pairs of Ecco (mens) shoes that were both worn during wet, cold winters in Galway. And they were great.

Ecco styling isn't always that nice/modern/fashionable but they do make very durable shoes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks, I'm thinking one of their brown, ankle or knee height boots. I don't drive and have about 8-10 minutes to walk to the bus, so have to be practical as well as stylish...it's good to hear that they are durable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Ecco styling isn't always that nice/modern/fashionable but they do make very durable shoes :)

My thinking exactly, there are a handful of decent looking shoes in their range but they do tend to last. I've had 2 pairs back-to-back for work wear, have worn them 3-4 days per week, walking about 3k per day and they've lasted me 12 months each. Using a set of shoe trees when not in use will extend shoe life significantly, well worth investing in a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leroy d

Not everyone is happy with ECCO shoes. I have had 2 pairs where the sole have disintegrated with little wear. There was a time ECCO shoes would last for several years, but not anymore. When the soles on ECCO's give problems, they cannot be repaired or replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Just thought I'd add, that right now I have a pair of Ecco shoes on my feet with severely disintegrating soles - worse than any other shoe I've ever worn - after a year or so of daily use.

So I've just been out to buy emergency replacements when another chunk of rubber flapped off.

I went out thinking 'screw them, never again', but shop after shop, I could not find anything I liked and fit well. So, I've just given Ecco another try, against my better judgement. They look well, but am going to be very grumpy if these new one turn out as badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

mcbert wrote: »
    worse than any other shoe I've ever worn - after a year or so of daily use.

To be fair, getting a year out of a pair of €100 'commuter' shoes that have been used daily is pretty good mileage. As per leroy, If they started to fall apart early then thats another story. I tend to alternate between a couple of pairs to lengthen out the wear cycle (and always use shoe trees after each wear to maintain shape).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

To be fair, getting a year out of a pair of €100 'commuter' shoes that have been used daily is pretty good mileage. As per leroy, If they started to fall apart early then thats another story. I tend to alternate between a couple of pairs to lengthen out the wear cycle (and always use shoe trees after each wear to maintain shape).

Yes, I am quite hard on shoes I suppose, and I usually have to replace my shoes once per year, but usually, at that point they just look a bit manky, with the sole on the heel maybe starting to wear through a bit, and maybe occasionally squelch a little when its wet as a result.

But I reached that point on these Eccos well before the end of the year, and once it started to happen, I quickly started to lose whole chunks of rubber from the sole. Much worse than any other shoe I've had - for the same amount of wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leroy d

mcbert wrote: »
    Yes, I am quite hard on shoes I suppose, and I usually have to replace my shoes once per year, but usually, at that point they just look a bit manky, with the sole on the heel maybe starting to wear through a bit, and maybe occasionally squelch a little when its wet as a result.

But I reached that point on these Eccos well before the end of the year, and once it started to happen, I quickly started to lose whole chunks of rubber from the sole. Much worse than any other shoe I've had - for the same amount of wear.
    There are numerous complaints online regardng ECCO soles. I complained to ECCO customer services vie email with regard to the issue and their response was pathetic. I sent them pictures of 2 pairs of ECCO shoes where the soles had fallen apart and they refused to respond. ECCO shoes are really comfortable and stylish, but these well documented problems with the soles, together with ECCO's refusal to engage with the issue has turned me right off.

Advertisement