Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper in DCN

Options
  • 11-10-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Nearly 50 posts, on Where to get an Indian takeaway in DCN.

Tis far from Indian Takeaway's were were reared.

Where's the Best Fish and Chipper??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »

Tis far from Indian Takeaway's we were reared.

Yes, but an oul' Tika Masala now and then is great for what ails ya.

My infallible measurement system for the quality of chippers is to check the number of cars parked outside at teatime on Saturdays: The more cars, the better the chipper.

Genoa(?) beside old primary school in Main Street, Rush are ENORMOUSLY generous with their chips, great fresh cod (or similar) and their fried chicken is fabbalus.

Many Dubs will say Burdocks at Christchurch but, if you want posh fish and chips, try Bishoffs on the harbour in Howth. Food is excellent, served in cartons and they even give you things called "cuttlery".

I have to say, though, I miss the newspaper! Bluddy Health and Safety!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

martinn123 wrote: »

Tis far from Indian Takeaway's were were reared.

I'd have said Angelo's in Seabury in Malahide, but that was before I tried Angelo's (no relation) in Portmarnock. It's in the row of shops up from Jus de Vine off-licence, almost directly across from Smyths butchers and their food is the best I've had :)

Fingal Café in Swords used to be great but now it's nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the 'Chat' thread. Worthy of a thread of its own.

tHB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd say either the Beachcomber in Malahide or Joe's in Rush (which I think is not actually called Joe's - the one near the theatre).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

+1 Angelo's Portmarnock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd say either the Beachcomber in Malahide or Joe's in Rush (which I think is not actually called Joe's - the one near the theatre).
    Beachcomber is gone :( I love Angelos in seabury followed by the chipper in Kinsealy at the shops.

I'm gonna have to get a chipper today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Pop-in in Balrothery is unreal.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Pop-in in Balrothery is unreal.

It is great. Their chips are fantastic! The only thing that lets it down for me is the curry sauce. They do the fruity one which I hate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Another one for the Pop in love their chips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Can't stand the staff in angelos Malahide, the staff are so surly and rude. I like fingal cafe better, but it's not something I'd be raving about.

• Advertisement

There's not a lot in the difference between The Central & Macari's in Skerries - both are very good chippers. I'd have a preference for The Central though.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Sorry lads, you haven't had a proper bag of chips until you've tasted Tony's in Rivervalley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's not a lot in the difference between The Central & Macari's in Skerries - both are very good chippers. I'd have a preference for The Central though.

Macari's has closed down :(

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Sorry lads, you haven't had a proper bag of chips until you've tasted Tony's in Rivervalley.

Tony's is great, but not as great as Angelo's in Portmarnock.

Macari's has closed down :(
    By the Monument? Jeez, it was only open a week or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

jeepers101 wrote: »

Tony's super takeaway in rivervalley swords is damn good. His snackbox/dinnerbox's are beyond reproach. His fish...smoked cod and chip are very nice.

And if you don't fancy the fruity curry taste of chipper curry then all you have to do is go next door to the riverside chinese takeaway and order their curry sauce which is top quality as well. Let's just say, the best of both worlds, as having a damn good chipper and chinese takeaway next door to each-other. I'd give Tony's super takeaway chipper high marks for his quality food.

Now I'm starving. Need snackbox fast.

Yes THB - he's closed that one and is working in Jimmy's in Skerries Point now.

He's changed the Facebook page from Macari's to Jimmy's, that's how I found out. https://www.facebook.com/jimmys.skerries/timeline?ref=page_internal

Edit: If you scroll down you can read his goodbye message....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Great prices @Jimmys by the looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

We notice someone try to copy my prices but they will never copy Jimmy's quality

A true gentleman of quality food indeed. Might pop-in soon. Some lovely looking chicken there from the looks of it.

Damn munchies

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pinkypinky wrote: »
    ... Joe's in Rush (which I think is not actually called Joe's - the one near the theatre).
    The Little Chip Inn (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Pipers on the beach in Portrane hands down best chipper !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

For me it's a toss up between Pipers, Tony's in Rivervalley and Borza in Balbriggan, I live close to Pop In and it's okay, but I prefer Borza.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jack1000

Has to be the rathbeale chipper opposite J's.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Pipers on the beach in Portrane hands down best chipper !

pipers before it got done up like 10 years ago, was the best chips i ever ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I remember going to the cafe across from the the Pavilions years ago, the late 70s, The river cafe iirc. Beautiful food. Fingal was also good at the time but had chips there about 2 years ago and not great.

Best for me is Genoa in Rush. Very good portions and busy all the time which for me is a good sign. Very good and varied menu and reasonably priced.

Funny thing is traditional Italian chips??? I have had a lot of chips around Italy and not once were they anything like what you get here so just wondering what they are supposed to taste like.

The River Cafe was great but it's been gone a long time now.

With regard to traditional Italian chips, I don't think they were ever made in Italy. As far as I can recall from a documentary I saw on the subject, Italian immigrants went into the chip shop business in England first and then it spread to here.

According to Wikipedia's information on fish and chips:
    "In Ireland, the first fish and chips were sold by an Italian immigrant, Giuseppe Cervi, who mistakenly stepped off an America-bound ship at Cobh (then called Queenstown) in County Cork in the 1880s and walked all the way to Dublin.[21] He started by selling fish and chips outside Dublin pubs from a handcart. He then found a permanent spot in Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street). His wife Palma would ask customers "Uno di questa, uno di quella?" This phrase (meaning "one of this, one of the other") entered the vernacular in Dublin as "one and one", which is still a way of referring to fish and chips in the city."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

"In Ireland, the first fish and chips were sold by an Italian immigrant, Giuseppe Cervi, who mistakenly stepped off an America-bound ship at Cobh (then called Queenstown) in County Cork in the 1880s and walked all the way to Dublin.[21] He started by selling fish and chips outside Dublin pubs from a handcart. He then found a permanent spot in Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street). His wife Palma would ask customers "Uno di questa, uno di quella?" This phrase (meaning "one of this, one of the other") entered the vernacular in Dublin as "one and one", which is still a way of referring to fish and chips in the city."

Now THAT is valuable information! Where would we be if he had stayed on that ship?

Thanks to this thread, I've been carrying out detailed research of chippers in NCD. Still my favourite is Genoa in Rush with the chipper in Skerries Point coming in an impressive second. Next week, I'm going to the Pop-In in Balrothery (Bluddery as one of my class-mates called it).

On a slightly different topic, are we allowed to mention pizza? The chipper in Rush, at the T-junction to Skerries, does a great "Rush" pizza. AND, their chips come from the adjoining shop, right next door. Deeply impressed!

Advertisement