Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog person finds a kitten - help!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you need a visual, these might help...:pac:

Also, do you remember the old MS Office Assistant? There was one that was a cat, and among the various animations there was also the very elegant hand of a lady that would rub his head. That, to me, looked perfect. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Always liked 'Domino' for a B&W cat.

i-wants-belly-rubs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

DBB wrote: »
    I was thinking that too :o

But then I saw the facial marking which looks like the number 1... doesn't it?!
    Which made me think of the name Uno! :D

"Uno" sounds too Italian, doesn't it? :D

aonb wrote: »
    Just two more questions - how do you stroke a cat?!?!?!? What do cats like - you know how dogs always love being scratched on their ears and tummies - I realized tonight I havent a clue how to stroke/fondle a cat!!! They're so bloody fragile feeling and flimsy its scary.

Can I give it cooked fish at this stage? Tried it with a few tiny bits of raw haddock tonight, but it didnt touch it. Was going to cook the fish? Do Kittens not all love fish?!?!?

Jeez Im going to be worrying all night about this bloody kitten :o

About strokes, mostly depends on the cat.
    Some cats love to be stroked everywhere, tummy included, some others only allow you their head, cheeks and back.
    You will find out what he/she likes the most with time :)
    What they surely appreciate is a gentle scratching on the top of their head, between the ears, because it's where the mother cat would lick her kittens.
    Their cheeks and behind their ears are nice spots too. If you notice, all these spots are where they can't reach by themselves with their tongue.
    Another nice spot is at the end of the back, just before the tail. Just use the tip of your fingers.
    Many cats, though, don't like to be touched too much.
    Keep an eye on some physical ways of communication.
    -The tail: if it's resting or swaying gently, the cat is at ease and likes what your're doing. If the tail starts moving a bit faster the cat is going to get annoyed, if the tail sways wide and fast it's better to leave it alone. The tail is one of the main mean of communication for cats. If held high when the cat sees you or comes to you it's a sign of greeting.
    -The ears: if they are standing and front looking, the cat is relaxed, if they are turned to the sides the cat is attracted by some other sounds, if they are kept back and low on the head is probably too late for you to withdraw your hands :D
    -The eyes: look at its pupils, if it's getting nervous and prone to attack, the pupils widen even if presence of daylight.
    -The whiskers: wide and projected ahead, the cat is relaxed, when they are pulled back to the cat's cheeks it's time to attack ;)
    So, you can stroke and cuddle your cat while keeping an eye on those signals.

When the kittens are very young they don't know their potential and good manners too well, so be prepared to be bitten or scratched by their tiny teeth and claws.
    Oh, about the teeth, they will be changed to the permanent ones around 5 months of age. Generally you won't realize of that. The new tooth replaces the milk tooth in a very short time. If you're lucky you could retrieve the fallen tooth, but usually they are swallowed by the kitten and lost forever.
    So, back to the scratches, when the kitten loses its control during the playing moments it's adivisable not to yell at it. Retracting your hands and stopping playing should be enough for the kitten to understand that it was wrong. A firm "NO" during the more violent moments should let it understand that it's time to correct its attitude. Mother cats use to tap their kitten with their paws between the eyes and the nose. You could use the same technique, tapping the kitten with the tip of your finger when it's not behaving.

Not all cats like fish, though it is generally appreciated. Tuna fish, steam cooked, not in oil or other substances, is what they like.
    Keep in mind that food for human purposes can contain too much salt that should not be given to animals.
    So I guess that it's better if you stick to good quality pet food. At this age there are baby kitten foods, dry and wet. Your vet could advise you about the best option.

My two cats like fish, but I only give them fish on rare occasion.
    My elder cat goes mad for bread and boiled french beans. Some cats have strange likings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Great tips there Irish Stones, thank you.
    Was out handling the kitten earlier.
    MAJOR purring was had & a little tummy was presented to me a few times for scratching. Who knew cats would like having lower back/near tail scratched :D
    I will start bringing it in to a room to play when its more relaxed - someplace it cant get stuck behind furniture etc
    When scratching little tummy, I felt about for male organs - didnt someone say that there would be a bump - jeez, I need to go and look up cat bits & bobs!! - didnt 'feel' anything.
    It seems to be very relaxed when I handle it - and purrs. When I put it back in its crate, it goes in to its little bed-box & when I put my hands in to the cage to put in its drink/food its spitting from its bed/box.
    When I pick it up out of its bed-box, its little claws are attached to its blanket - I just gently plucked the blanked off - is that how one should do that? I cant believe how fragile & fluffy a kitten is...
    Need to get some kitten food today - any recommendations for a good brand? It seems to drink the cat milk every time, but will leave its food (didnt touch the cooked fish) - though does eat some food - Im wondering if its just not 100% ready for solids yet. I got some HUSSE dry food - totally ignored that, so will continue with the wet food til its more settled. Do kittens usually like/eat dry food?

Crikey give me a straightforward hen or horse or dog any day :o

When scratching little tummy, I felt about for male organs - didnt someone say that there would be a bump - jeez, I need to go and look up cat bits & bobs!! - didnt 'feel' anything.

Unlike dogs, it's not straightforward to tell the sex of a cat.
    It can happen that when they are very young even a vet can have difficulty at telling their sex.
    As a rule of thumb you could have a look under its tale and if you see that the two orifices are very close to each other then the cat is a female, if they a bit farther apart it is a male.
    Things could have been easier if the kitten was ginger (95% male) or a calico or tortie (three colours mixed or patched, 99.9% female).
    When it's a little more grown up the sexual signs will be clearer.
    It seems to be very relaxed when I handle it - and purrs. When I put it back in its crate, it goes in to its little bed-box & when I put my hands in to the cage to put in its drink/food its spitting from its bed/box.
    When I pick it up out of its bed-box, its little claws are attached to its blanket - I just gently plucked the blanked off - is that how one should do that? I cant believe how fragile & fluffy a kitten is...

If it spits at you it means that it's not totally tamed and used to you yet. This also means that its mother was a feral cat and taught it how to deal with the rest of the world :)
    It only needs some more time and patience from you.
    No problem for the blanket which remains attached to its claws. Gently detached it from its claws. Probably it is still a bit scared by you and looks for a safer place in its blanket.
    Need to get some kitten food today - any recommendations for a good brand? It seems to drink the cat milk every time, but will leave its food (didnt touch the cooked fish) - though does eat some food - Im wondering if its just not 100% ready for solids yet. I got some HUSSE dry food - totally ignored that, so will continue with the wet food til its more settled. Do kittens usually like/eat dry food?

I think that at this age they prefer wet food.
    I am not able to recommend any brand because I don't live in Ireland so what I know could not be available in your country, sorry.

Any photo of the kitten in its crate among its things? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Start with Royal Canin BabyCat (it's up to 4 months); after that you can transition to RC Kitten and around 9 months to a year you can start adding in your final feed (same principle as dog food, grain free) as you can find those in a well sorted store or vet clinic. You can also look for Lily's kitchen or Schmusy Nature but they tend to be harder to find in a physical store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Nody wrote: »
    Start with Royal Canin BabyCat (it's up to 4 months); after that you can transition to RC Kitten and around 9 months to a year you can start adding in your final feed (same principle as dog food, grain free) as you can find those in a well sorted store or vet clinic. You can also look for Lily's kitchen or Schmusy Nature but they tend to be harder to find in a physical store.

My local tesco stocks lily's kitchen stuff. We got lucky, it wasn't priced and wouldn't scan when it came in so they put it through for 0.30c a tin!

got royal canin babycat milk - its a pain to mix up - hope the little popsie will drink it now - bloody expensive! Also bought a box of sachets of RC kitten food. Want to make sure it thrives. My husband sat and stroked it on his lap for a while, back to the bed-box, then I had it for about an hour - loves being stroked - nearly fell asleep on my lap, and lots and lots of purring, but soon as I put it on the ground to have an explore it hid behind a chair. We obviously have a long way to go, but its early days yet. Will look for that Lily's kitchen in our Tesco next time Im in town

My daughter will be home from college for the weekend, will get her to take some photos on her phone up to upload.

Oh and the kitten is making FULL use of its litter tray - :D Oh and its VERY long-haired - REALLY fluffy.

Oh, I dont suppose one should wash a kitten - could I use an unperfumed babywipe to give it a 'freshen up' ?? (not too soon - when its happier to be handled)

Im exhausted with all this kitten stuff :o (oh and my dog KNOWS theres something going on - he is on high alert and not happy with all these closed doors & disapearing humans!!)

• Advertisement

Oh, I dont suppose one should wash a kitten - could I use an unperfumed babywipe to give it a 'freshen up' ?? (not too soon - when its happier to be handled)

Yes, kittens and cats don't need to be washed unless they are really dirty.
    If you need to wash it, be sure to dry its fur completely, it could get a cold.
    Some cats stand the noise and the "hot wind" of a hairdrier.
    I think that a wet towel or baby wipes should do the job, though my opinion is that if something is perfumed it might have some addictives which could not be suitable for animals, especially when they are very young.
    Im exhausted with all this kitten stuff :o (oh and my dog KNOWS theres something going on - he is on high alert and not happy with all these closed doors & disapearing humans!!)

:D:D:D

We use wet wipes called Water wipes. 99% water 1% fruit juice and nothing nasty in them, also odourless. They're on offer for 2 euro a pack in Dunnes at the minute and are very gentle.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Introducing nameless (as not sexed yet) kitten - now resident chez-nous - seriously a contender for "Cutest Kitten" award dont you think?!?!? :)

cuteness overload. would say about 5 weeks :p

LITTER TRAYS?!?!?!?
    how do you cat experts 'manage' them?!?!?
    i scoop out the solids every time one is deposited there, as advised by u
    Its WET now - can i compost that litter stuff??
    Do i put a little amount in the tray, or fill it up?
    When it gets wet Ive been topping up a little layer of dry
    Im pretty seriously into environmental issues, and this litter stuff goes a bit against the grain (can u tell Im a dog person, with toilet training being the way to go!!!) and seems v.wasteful, but kitten is in a crate so there is no alternative I know.
    Its great that the kitten has been using it since day 1 - clever kit!

Hey, the kitten is doing GREAT! it purrs the minute I pick it up for its handling-session :) Its getting brave/cheeky and plays and swats and bites and flips about. i keep it on my lap to play - when i put it on the floor, it takes off (not so frantically now tho) to hide behind a piece of furniture, so a long way to go yet I know. We're progressing really quickly though. Had family over for dinner last night - house full - the kitten was handed round to everyone, loved every minute of all the playing and cuddling :) This a.m when i went to get the kitten out, my sister had beaten me to it, and she had it down in the bed with half the others :P

sorry, 1 more question - do kittens need vaccinations and shots like puppies? think i might be able to get it to the vet next week sinces its settling so well... (will worm it today I think)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can get compostable kitty litter but standard litter would not be compostable. Personally we use wood pellets (buy the type you'd burn; it's the exact same stuff that's sold in the pet section for 5x the price because now it's kitty litter...). Based on what you're stating the litter is non clumping which means you should look at doing a full litter change on a regular basis to deal with the peed litter. In terms of amount I'd say about 2 centimeters; basically you need the cat to feel they can "cover up" their deed to mask their scent.

We get Cats Best Oko Plus cat litter from Zooplus It's compostable and flushable. It absorbs odour really well and clumps so it makes it easier to scoop and it goes a really long way.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best/127214

Nody, pumkinseeds thank you.
    what do you mean CLUMP?
    will it say that on the packet?
    Nody where do you buy the wood pellets?
    Zooplus charges for shipping - bit expensive for a bag of litter - where does one buy this clumping litter?

so little litter tray (baby cat, small crate) filled to 2cm, change it every other day?(remove solids when they appear). Im so impressed that this tiny baby will use the litter tray at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

what do you mean CLUMP?
    Zooplus charges for shipping - bit expensive for a bag of litter - where does one buy this clumping litter?

so little litter tray (baby cat, small crate) filled to 2cm, change it every other day?(remove solids when they appear). Im so impressed that this tiny baby will use the litter tray at all!

Clumps means that when kitty wees the wet litter forms into a solidish clump so you can scoop it out, much like the poop.

You can get litter that Clumps in most supermarkets I think, usually says on the packet AFAIK.

So glad kitty is doing so well, such a beautiful wee mite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I use to buy litter in Lidl or aldi the clay based stuff that does clump and it was cheap and worked.
    Rp_PC_Catfood_PD6_597672192b.jpg
    Most people have their favorite kind for various reasons and can feel strongly about the best kind of litter.
    I stopped using the clay based stuff because although it did form a clump I did find I had to change the litter totally every other day because it got smelly and contaminated. It began to weigh down my bins too and it isnt biodegradable so that was a problem in the end as it had to go in the bin and the bins were weighed and we had to pay more if they went over a certain weight.

Ive tried a few different types of litter and I have heard some people say that cats can sometimes really take a dislike to the feel of the wood pellets. Cats can be fussy about the cleanliness, smell and feel of their litter. They also dont like change and sometimes problems with toileting outside of the litter tray can be caused by changing the kind of litter or a dislike to the kind thats there. Litter has to suit the owner and the cat whatever kind that is chosen.

I second OKO PLUS Cats Best litter. It lasts for ages and ages and is so light. A big bag of it which I got delivered lasted my cat a year to my complete amazement as I had been buying three large bags of the clay based stuff at a time and it didnt last long.
    3187_jrs_catsbestoekoplus_1.jpg
    Cats Best is so absorbent that urine soon forms a compact ball of a kind of jelly like substance that can easily be removed and all the rest of the litter around it is still clean and dry and smelling nice. Thats why is lasts so long and you dont have to change the entire tray as often a much smaller group of soft pellets absorbs everything, swells and you take it out. Its worth the money you pay for it initially and saves money because you dont have to keep buying more bags and in bin charges. A medium bag could last months.

There are disadvantages to any kind of litter you just weigh them up against the advantages.Cats Best is very light and thats an advantage but it can at times stick to the fur of long hair cats - light dry bits not used - and it does track. That means little bits of litter may stick to the cats paws on exiting the litter tray which they may drop around the place as they walk away.
    I found the clay based litter left find powder on my cats paws which over time built up as a grey patch along the carpet, not initially an obvious problem and I would prefer to sweep up bits of cats best.
    I think most pet shops supply Cats Best by now and Im sure other posters will have their own opinions on the best kind of litter and may differ from mine.

what do you mean CLUMP?

I'd advise you to get a large litter tray. Usually at least one and a half times the size of the cat. We buy most of our stuff for our 4 from Zooplus. All of their wet and dry food comes from there as well as the litter trays and I like the reviews of products and the fact that you get a break down of all the ingredients that are in any food.

I tried the wood pellets and our cats wouldn't use them. Some litters are clumping and some are non-clumping, it usually says on the bag, but not always. Last year we ordered some of Tesco own brand litter, it didn't mention that it was lavender scented, it reeked and the cats wouldn't use it so it went in the bin.

Ordering a single item with Zooplus can be expensive, usually we stock up when we order so it works out much cheaper. Plus they have lots of stuff for dogs, so you could get everything in one place.:)

• Advertisement

the plan with this kitten is that it will be able to wander in/out. Im hoping that it will be a typical country cat, and come in when it needs feeding or a snooze at the fire. Is this feasible for an abandoned born feral cat?

At the moment, its so tiny, and our terrier is an unknown (hes not a "red haze" at the sight of a cat type terrier, as our older terrier was) we're keeping it seperate in a cage to socialize and "tame" it. I guess everything will depend on how the dog gets on with the kitten :( If the dog is threatening the kittens safety, we will have to find another home for the kitten. i was heartened to see a boardsies terrier & a kitten in a photo yesterday. This terrier doesnt have a real hunter streak, so fingers crossed.

Kitten ate a dish of cooked chicken tonight - its teeth are so tiny i wasnt sure it would manage it, but it loved it! laps up its RC baby cat milk every time too. Can a kitten be overfed?!?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

In general clumping litter is not recommended for small kittens as they tend to eat the clumps and can choke on them. For the first few months stick to non clumping litter for the kittens safety.

Kittens, like puppies, can over eat as they don't understand that their full yet. Just stick to the recommended amounts on the bag of food or split it into smaller meals. I wouldn't feed the kitten milk with every meal as too much can cause diarrhoea due to the food being too mushy.

i scoop out the solids every time one is deposited there, as advised by u
    Its WET now - can i compost that litter stuff??

I use a compostable litter, made od wood chips. I buy it on zooplus, the name of the litter is Oko-Plus Cat's Best.
    It's a clumping litter, that means that nothing "dirty" remains in the tray, and the litter is always dry and clean.
    The solids are removed when needed, the wet is clumped into a ball and removed as well. All the stuff, even when after two or three weeks the litter needs to be replaced with a fresh tray, goes into the compost or the organic fraction of your waste.
    Compared to the clay type litter it's much lighter and it's an advantage when you have to move large packs.
    I buy the 20 litres pack and it lasts over one month (two cats, two trays). It's about 15 euro per pack, if I buy at least 30 euro of items the shipping is free. I also tried the 40 litres pack but it's huge and pretty heavy to use.
    This litter tracks a little, that means that some of the bits stay attached to the cat's paws when it leaves the tray and you'll find them around the house.
    Over here in Italy floors are tiled and cleaning them is easy, but in Ireland with carpets in nearly all rooms this could be a small problem.

I used to buy the classic clay litter but I felt a bit environment unfriendly so I switched to the wood chips or pellets.

sorry, 1 more question - do kittens need vaccinations and shots like puppies? think i might be able to get it to the vet next week sinces its settling so well... (will worm it today I think)

Kittens and cats do need vaccinations.
    Kitten older than 10-12 weeks should be vaccinated with a trivalent vaccine plus a vaccine for feline leukaemia, highly recommended if the cat is allowed outside.
    The first booster is required within 4 weeks from the first shot.
    Keep in mind that the cat is not fully protected by the vaccines until the third week after the first booster, that means for at least 6-7 weeks since the first shot.
    The following boosters come after one year from the first booster.
    Your vet will be able to advice you about them.
    Another advice would be about spaying or neutering the cat when it will be old enough. Ask your vet for details.

This kitten is such a time waster!!! Ive got nothing done for the past few days :P Im just in from the "play room" where the kitten turns into a complete and utter nutter - whizzing around, flying up and down chairs & tables, pouncing with all 4 feet on toys - exhausting :). ive put it to bed now with its supper. Its mad for company and play. Now the next step (but not for a while til its a bit bigger) is to see if my dog and the kit can cohabitate. Then all will be fine.

My neighbour (who killed its sibling) tells me that her son saw a black kitten going in thru my gate yesterday :eek: Ive been out looking but cant find it - cant believe its another sibling - it couldnt have lasted on its own for nearly 2 weeks??? Maybe another litter???

I reckon this kitten is about 6 weeks now - will be bringing it for its shots and check, and of course it will be neutered when its old enough. Its called Tux (Tuxedo) but only because we dont know whether its male or female :confused: will post more photos so you can see how gorgeous and bigger it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

So cute!

Looks like it's taken control of the house now :D

sorry, another question:
    My dogs have always been fed home cooked. Ive been feeding this kitten kitten wet food pouches (as well as the baby cat milk) - the smell off this wet food is really offputting. What is good for a kitten from the point of view of home cooked? Ive given her so far chicken and turkey very finely chopped up, cooked. Wolfed both down. Is there anything I can add to the meat (e.g. the dogs get meat/rice or potatos/veg)
    Is there anything I shouldnt feed her?

You need to ensure she gets enough Taurine; you can buy Taurine powder like this. Also cats are carnivores; you should not really consider to add rice/vegs to it (think of it like them eating a mouse; the only vegs they would get is the limited amount in the stomach of the mouse!). If you want to get her down the raw route I'd strongly recommend chicken hearts (they are relatively small and all soft so easy to eat and gives you a starting point for later). Once she's up to around 9 months you can start adding chicken necks and go from there :). For raw for cats in general though I strongly recommend Feline-nutrition.org.

• Advertisement

sorry, another question:
    My dogs have always been fed home cooked. Ive been feeding this kitten kitten wet food pouches (as well as the baby cat milk) - the smell off this wet food is really offputting. What is good for a kitten from the point of view of home cooked? Ive given her so far chicken and turkey very finely chopped up, cooked. Wolfed both down. Is there anything I can add to the meat (e.g. the dogs get meat/rice or potatos/veg)
    Is there anything I shouldnt feed her?

I don't know what you are giving the kitten, but I remember that when I was rearing 2 small kitten three years ago the food I bought for them had a delicious smell and the kittens loved it.
    I used to buy this
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/almo_nature/kitten/380839
    It's an Italian brand, the ingredients are top quality and 100% natural.
    The dry food was Royal Canin Baby Cat
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/royal_canin/kitten/126962

As for adding something to the kitten's meal, keep in mind that cats can't digest rice because of the high content of starch. You should boil the rice well, then wash and rinse it to clean the rice and then cook it again...
    Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and aubergine can be toxic to cats.
    Oh, and onions, never give onions to a cat, they can be fatal!
    Chocolat as well is a very bad thing, and anything with sugar inside must be avoided.
    You could add boiled peas, french beans and courgettes.

Anyway, if I were in your situation I'd stick with the two commercial foods linked above.

Advertisement