Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog person finds a kitten - help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

This is the best thread I've seen in ages.

Think this forum is just great for newbies, and people who want a bit of advice from more experienced animal owners. Boards at its best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I love been licked by a cat, that tongue gives me pleasure :D
    We had a cat once that had a penchant for licking my toes, preferably during hot weather if they were a bit sweaty :D

I am now happy to report TUX knows her name!! She comes (usually, well mostly) when shes called! My dog comes everytime she is called :rolleyes:

She also knows she is not allowed on the kitchen table. I shout TUX! lift her off the table, and give her a little tap on her bum. She gets straight back up, and this is repeated hundreds of times every day. This week when I shout her name, she hides behind the fruit bowl on the table :D then when I come to lift her down, she leaps down straight away - progress!! (of sorts!!)

Questions:

may cats have bread? When Im eating a sandwich or toast, she loves it...

I bought some LIDL cat pouches - ran out/emergency - gave her diarrhea - anyone else find this with Lidl cat pouches?!? We'll stick with our usual brands.

I have some flea collars - when to put on her? - or necessary?

She is MAD to go outside. Getting in/out of the house is becoming a trial with her making dashes for the door. To take her outside, I rigged up a harness made of a felt strip. She does NOT like having that put on, but when outside she makes DASHES and then gets pulled back. Is there any point in letting her outside? I carry her out and she watches the birds and the hens and the sheep. It must be pretty boring being stuck in the house all the time. Keeping an animal always indoors doesnt sit well with me somehow (being new to cats) - but Im terrified that if I let her out (we live in the country) she will wander off exploring and get lost/not come back. (I know its been recommended to only let her out when shes hungry/food time) She seems to follow the dog, but he is too dopey to go find her - now that would be a handy trick/skill!! Do cats have a homing skill like dogs (usually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

so-shes-like-get-off-the-counter-and-im-like-get-off-my-ass.jpg

Saw this and thought of Tux:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

aonb wrote: »
    I am now happy to report TUX knows her name!! She comes (usually, well mostly) when shes called! My dog comes everytime she is called :rolleyes:

81sj5JkDTmL._SX522_.jpg
    She also knows she is not allowed on the kitchen table. I shout TUX! lift her off the table, and give her a little tap on her bum. She gets straight back up, and this is repeated hundreds of times every day.
    So it's clear that she's the boss, otherwise you shouldn't need to go through it many times a day :D
    Questions:
    may cats have bread? When Im eating a sandwich or toast, she loves it...

I bought some LIDL cat pouches - ran out/emergency - gave her diarrhea - anyone else find this with Lidl cat pouches?!? We'll stick with our usual brands.

I have some flea collars - when to put on her? - or necessary?
    Answers:
    - Cats can have bread though some could have intollerance. My elder cat loves the inside of the bread, the other cat loves the crunchy crumbles when I slice it :)
    Bread and other bakery contain starch and this might lead to tooth decay, but so far my cats haven't had any problem.

-Sudden change in food can give diarrhea. It's always advisable to gradually introduce a new kind of food. More, some cheap brands are more likely to give problems, especially with kittens. Stick with what she knows well, and, above all, the food must be of premium of very high quality.
    The most you invest on food, the less you'll pay at the vet.

-Flea collars are necessary if the cat is allowed outside. But I think that spot on products do a much better job. I use Bayer Advocate that I think is top.
    She is MAD to go outside. Getting in/out of the house is becoming a trial with her making dashes for the door. To take her outside, I rigged up a harness made of a felt strip. She does NOT like having that put on, but when outside she makes DASHES and then gets pulled back. Is there any point in letting her outside? I carry her out and she watches the birds and the hens and the sheep. It must be pretty boring being stuck in the house all the time. Keeping an animal always indoors doesnt sit well with me somehow (being new to cats) - but Im terrified that if I let her out (we live in the country) she will wander off exploring and get lost/not come back. (I know its been recommended to only let her out when shes hungry/food time) She seems to follow the dog, but he is too dopey to go find her - now that would be a handy trick/skill!! Do cats have a homing skill like dogs (usually)
    I only take my cats out with harness and lead. I bought a harness tailored to cats (please, google Trixie 4188), and a 5 metres extendable flexi lead. A pair for each cat. They love it!!!
    Cats can have homing skill, I personally knew a cat who got lost about 50 km from his home (the owner told me he took him on a trip on the mountains around here where he has a second house) and he got back home in a week time.
    Some cats can do much better. Two days ago I have read this news

http://www.thelocal.fr/20141215/cat-reunited-with-owner-after-1200-km-journey-across-france

Do not take for granted that every cat is as clever as this one :)

Pumpkinseeds, You mean I need to think about hiding the phone too?!?!?!?

Brilliant! Thanks :D

We use Broadline spot on from our vets. It kills earmites, worms and fleas. I read somewhere that flea collars can be toxic to cats as they're constantly releasing stuff onto the cats skin. The Broadline just takes care of everything in one go and saves a lot of hassle. Collars are something that you have to be really careful with, never get one that has a buckle as the cat can choke or do themselves serious damage if they get caught on a branch or fence etc. Best to get one with a safety release, you can get them in most pet shops and online. We have all 4 of our cats microchipped, they can lose collars but they can't lose a chip.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aonb, you can not train a cat to not go on the table.
    You can teach a cat that they are not allowed on the table, you can even train a cat not to go on the table when you're around but you will never train a cat not to go on a table without electrifying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aonb, you can not train a cat to not go on the table.
    You can teach a cat that they are not allowed on the table, you can even train a cat not to go on the table when you're around but you will never train a cat not to go on a table without electrifying it!
    Google "ssscat". Works a treat.

We use Broadline spot on from our vets. It kills earmites, worms and fleas. I read somewhere that flea collars can be toxic to cats as they're constantly releasing stuff onto the cats skin. The Broadline just takes care of everything in one go and saves a lot of hassle. Collars are something that you have to be really careful with, never get one that has a buckle as the cat can choke or do themselves serious damage if they get caught on a branch or fence etc. Best to get one with a safety release, you can get them in most pet shops and online. We have all 4 of our cats microchipped, they can lose collars but they can't lose a chip.:)

Can I use BROADLINE spot on as a wormer AND everything else?? Ive tried getting a worming tablet in to her, and to be honest I failed, and Im really reluctant to try again (trauma for her and trauma for me!!) If this would work as a general wormer and is only a 'spot on' that would be great. Is it generally available from a vet - should I phone to order it?

• Advertisement

Can I use BROADLINE spot on as a wormer AND everything else?? Ive tried getting a worming tablet in to her, and to be honest I failed, and Im really reluctant to try again (trauma for her and trauma for me!!) If this would work as a general wormer and is only a 'spot on' that would be great. Is it generally available from a vet - should I phone to order it?

No. You'd have to wait to put it on her. With kittens I think worming is more frequent and weight based. As far as I remember the vet weighed our foster kitten and gave us Parazole wormer for her. It's liquid so should be much easier(in theory) to get into puss.

The Broadline is everything in one and is for cats from 2.5kg to 7.5kg in weight.

Many thanks for that. I just weighed her - shes 1430g :)
    So, will remember to get the BROADLINE, when shes a bigger.

Got her to take a quarter worming tablet, covered in butter, just now.

The kitten and I are also covered in butter. :D

Life with TUX is cruising along.
    She is dying to go outdoors - getting out the door without her squeezing her way out is a pain - Ive started taking her out on a harness/leash for a few mins - not much fun as she 'dashes' off and wont 'come' on the leash with me - even my special needs dog wasnt this much trouble :cool:

Two questions for you cat experts:

1. She floods the room with water 'fishing' in the drinking water bowl :mad: Any ideas why she would do this (I thought cats hated water) and more importantly how to stop it. She swirls her paws in the bowl, flings it about - water everywhere! I leave a little bowl of water where she sleeps and never seems to drink from that - only from the dogs (bigger?) bowl?

2. Sometimes she just sits with her mouth OPEN - looks v.cute - shes not panting or anything - just looks odd

oh and 1 more - I swear dogs are so simple/biddable/easy (can you tell she has me totally flumoxed?!?!?) sometimes she comes and miaows at me - I usually give her a treat/food/bring her to the litter etc - but sometimes she does this when all of the above have been sorted - how do I know what the heck she wants, or is she just 'talking' to me?!?!?!?

shes asleep on my lap while I type this - once she tired of trying to swipe the cursor on the screen :P

Cats are fussy about water and bowls(and most things):D They don't like their whiskers to touch the sides of the bowl. Toby will only drink from running water source so he used to drink from the down pipe out the front of the house or the tap in the bathroom sink. We got him a drinking fountain that has a running water bit and a bowl and he loves it. Jazzy was feral and he will only drink rainwater. Felix and Poppy drink from a big stainless steel dogs water bowl in the garden, neither will use the drinking fountain:rolleyes:

The miaowing randomly is just chat. I love the open mouth stare, sometimes ours have the tip of their tongues jutting out, cracks me up every time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tux is such a great name!

Flea collars aren't great for cats, and it's a little early to use any of the spot-on flea killers - ask the vet for advice.

If you'd like to train her, it's very easy. Here's Luna learning to 'sit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqOtHykYx8

(she 'sat' on 'command' - looking up as if to say she was sharing the joke - forever after that, with the occasional treat and pet).

and a short article about clicker training http://www.clickertraining.com/node/23

1. She floods the room with water 'fishing' in the drinking water bowl :mad: Any ideas why she would do this (I thought cats hated water) and more importantly how to stop it. She swirls her paws in the bowl, flings it about - water everywhere! I leave a little bowl of water where she sleeps and never seems to drink from that - only from the dogs (bigger?) bowl?

2. Sometimes she just sits with her mouth OPEN - looks v.cute - shes not panting or anything - just looks odd

oh and 1 more - I swear dogs are so simple/biddable/easy (can you tell she has me totally flumoxed?!?!?) sometimes she comes and miaows at me - I usually give her a treat/food/bring her to the litter etc - but sometimes she does this when all of the above have been sorted - how do I know what the heck she wants, or is she just 'talking' to me?!?!?!?

shes asleep on my lap while I type this - once she tired of trying to swipe the cursor on the screen :P

Some cats love to play with water, the internet has plenty of photos of cats drinking from taps or even bathing :D
    As Pumpinkseeds says, probably Tux hate to feel her whiskers touching the edge of the bowl. My elder cat used to put her paw into the water bowl just to see if the water was in. My vet told me that it might be a way to check the presence of the water or the level into the bowl. It seems that cats can't see at a very short distance, so, rather than dipping her nose into the water she was just checking the level and then move accordingly ;)
    Tux is very young, she's still playing a lot with everything is around her. Be patient...

The open mouth is a thing of her. A cat of mine now in heaven used to stare at me with the tip of her tongue sticking out.

And some cats can be very talkative, they just want to communicate and can't understand why you don't get the message :D

Happy new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Have you brought Tux to the vet yet? You should really have started the vaccinations by now, particularly if you are reintroducing him/her to the outside world.

What a gorgeous kitty though! Mine was a feral, only him and his sister were alive in their litter when found and both very ill with cat flu. He had been handled a fair bit while being treated and came home with us at 7 weeks, where his favourite game was to catch people's eyelashes while they blinked. He's 11 now, and still a very playful and affectionate cat, though only when it suits him.

Here is TUX, installed in her favourite position - at one of the stoves, jammed against the dog. I have to say, I never thought I would see the day when one of my terriers would tolerate a cat - makes me very happy that it all worked out.

image1.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Here is TUX, installed in her favourite position - at one of the stoves, jammed against the dog. I have to say, I never thought I would see the day when one of my terriers would tolerate a cat - makes me very happy that it all worked out.

image1.jpeg

She got so big!! What a beautiful kitty. Delighted her and the dog are getting on so well :)

• Advertisement

Brought Tux to the vet this a.m for vaccinations, and for a check up.

You may remember that I found Tux as a tiny kitten back at the beginning of October. Her siblings didnt survive (the 2 I could find). At that time, and in hindsight I realize Tux had been living (somehow) on my hens feed. I have no idea how long for. When I found her she was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. Unfortunately I didnt weigh her then - she was feral so it would have been tricky. I have no idea about cats/kittens, but she could eat solid food...

The thing is that this morning the vet (new to me) that I saw said that in his opinion Tux is approx 9 months old!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: She is fine and healthy and a good weight. But how could she be 9 months - that means that when I found her in wk 1. October, she was 4-5 MONTHS old!?!?!? Could this be possible?!?!? That she would be such a tiny creature, fitting in my hand and be 16 weeks (minimum)? I asked the vet twice if he was sure she could be this age, and he was very confident....

Anyway, it just seems amazing to me, but on the plus side Tux can be spayed in 2 wks, and he says she is very healthy/good condition etc...

The thing is that this morning the vet (new to me) that I saw said that in his opinion Tux is approx 9 months old!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: She is fine and healthy and a good weight. But how could she be 9 months - that means that when I found her in wk 1. October, she was 4-5 MONTHS old!?!?!? Could this be possible?!?!? That she would be such a tiny creature, fitting in my hand and be 16 weeks (minimum)? I asked the vet twice if he was sure she could be this age, and he was very confident....

Anyway, it just seems amazing to me, but on the plus side Tux can be spayed in 2 wks, and he says she is very healthy/good condition etc...

What is Tux's weight now?
    If Tux had been starving for a long time or had a poor nourishment then it can be that she didn't grow up to her true age.
    Cats change their milk teeth around 4-5 months of age, so this could be a very good method to determine her age. But catching a cat in the act of changing their teeth is very difficult, so if you miss those moments there's no way to tell that it happened.
    So, if the vet is true, Tux should have her heats in less than four weeks time. If he's wrong then this won't happen :)

Be aware that if the vet is right you must have her spayed in a moment that she's not on heat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Definitely can happen; we picked up a "kitten" on behalf of our rescue coming in at 1.4kg to the vet (estimated 3 months old) which turned out to be a lovely 2 year old cat who simply had been malnourished growing up and when she moved on to her for ever home she had reached her final weight of 2.5kg. Still small as a 3 month old kitten but fully grown :)

Jeez, this cat business :(
    Ok so what you both say makes sense. I shudder to think how tiny and kittenlike she was, to be that age. I dont suppose, like her sibs she would have lasted much longer before I found her, so we both benefited - Im quite content in my cat-slave world now! She weighs less than 2kg still...

BUT!
    You will think I am totally ignorant - Ive never had bitches or mares, and hens dont have heats/seasons :cool: - but it never struck me that Tux could come in to season!! Is a cat in season going to show the same "symptoms" as a bitch in season?? Will there be 'spotting' or how will I know if shes in season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You will think I am totally ignorant - Ive never had bitches or mares, and hens dont have heats/seasons :cool: - but it never struck me that Tux could come in to season!! Is a cat in season going to show the same "symptoms" as a bitch in season?? Will there be 'spotting' or how will I know if shes in season?
    Howling, rubbing against legs; sticking her ass up in the air, face down when touched and if she gets out she'll drag down every male cat in the area...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

You'll know when/if she's in season by the noise! Cats howl/call out loudly and constantly for a mate. They also stick their bums up in the air with their tail to the side, presenting themselves to pretty much anything. It's all very classy :pac:

• Advertisement

ok, so thats all to look forward to!!!
    Shes pretty vocal at the best of times, it will be interesting to see how it goes if shes more vocal when in season! She isnt allowed outside, so getting her spayed is now a priority. Have to just wait to finish the vaccinations

Last question I swear - its ok to have her spayed before shes had a season? I know (thank you Irish Stones) she cant be spayed WHILE in season.

(would it be possible that since she is so tiny and has had such a bad start, that her first season will be delayed??)

Thank you Cat experts!

We had a 4 month old foster kitten go on heat:eek: It was actually disturbing to see such a tiny little cat on heat, thankfully our cats were neutered.

Is a cat in season going to show the same "symptoms" as a bitch in season?? Will there be 'spotting' or how will I know if shes in season?

Some she-cats won't let you sleep at night, other are so noiseless that you don't even know they're on heat, apart from some "posing" like Nody said ;)

My cats are both ladies ;), one was spayed before she could show her heat, the other was silent and we realized that she was "ready" because she would present her... rear, with her tail set aside and used to roll on the floor a lot.

The heat lasts 5 to 7 days, then there's a rest for about a week or less and then again. The vets prefer to make the surgery between the two "hot moments", because the risk of a hemorrhage is reduced. During the heat the uterus and ovaries are very rich in blood.
    Latest theories, that I second, say that it's better to spay a cat BEFORE she has had her first heat.
    This way there will be less than 5% chances that she will develop a cancer in her life. They say that just one heat is enough to raise those chances to 10-15%, and every single heat would raise up to 50-60%.

And no, the fact that she is underweight and undersize does not save her form her heats when they're supposed to happen.

Yes, the vet talked about the reduced incidence of cancer in a spayed cat...

Ok, so FINGERS CROSSED that Tux gets to finish her vaccinations BEFORE she has her first season, then she can get spayed and then life will be good - dont fancy all the yowling etc for 2 wks!! (Which is why we've always had dogs and geldings!!)

Now back to playing "Throw the tiny piece of dismembered teddy" for Tux :o

It is up to two weeks; our last foster going into heat lasted only a couple of days and was not overly loud compared to normal (mainly at night as she was alone as she was recovering and did not have her shots yet).

• Advertisement

Tonights question is whether a cat can actually be 'taught' not to do something?!

Tux, our young cat refuses to stop clawing up and down the backs of two very expensive armchairs, and up and down the curtains of our best room :o
    We dont mind what she does in the other rooms of the house, but when we sit in the 'nice' room at the weekends, if she wants to be with us in this room, she cant wreck havoc on the very old/expensive furnishings (arent we humans odd!)

When she starts scaling with her claws up the backs of the chairs, I shout NO! at her and pick her up and put her out in another room. She knows shes in trouble, because she runs away when she sees me coming to pick her off the chair! Even my poor not very bright dog knows shes doing something wrong :o

This has been going on for ages. How do I get her to stop this behaviour, or should I give up the fight, she being a cat afterall, and just not allow her into this room (which is a bit sad, as the stove is lighting and she loves to snooze with the dog, when shes not clawing up and down the furniture)

Sounds like she likes vertical scratching. You could try putting a scratching post beside the chairs and encourage her to use that. One thing I'll say about scratching posts is that they need to be sturdy so that the cat can have a good claw at it. We got this wall mounted one on Zooplus and put it on the wall at the side of the living room door. It's narrow enough to slot into a small space and nobody notices it. Felix loves it, stopped him clawing the sofa. We've lots of different types, the cardboard ones are great too, all 4 of them use the horizontal cardboard ones. Furniture is always an attractive scratching surface because it's so sturdy and they can really claw it.

katzen_kratzmatte3_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Maryd.

I got scratching posts for my cat years ago but he still scratches the sofas whenever he feels like it. Cats can easily train humans but i don't think humans can train cats.

Tonights question is whether a cat can actually be 'taught' not to do something?!
    Only if they feel like it.
    Tux, our young cat refuses to stop clawing up and down the backs of two very expensive armchairs, and up and down the curtains of our best room :o
    Do you have a very high scratch pole for Tux to sit on? Something suitably high like this (height is important both from a exercising point of view and to be a good spot to watch what's going on) and place it next to her scratching / climbing points; bonus if he can climb up on them and get to you. Secondly add double sided tape to the spot he's currently scratching (they don't like the feel of double sided tape and the scratching post allows him to redirect his scratching directly avoiding confusion and directing his behavior to scratch on the "right" stuff).

Will try the double sided tape (on my lovely antique wing back chairs?!?!)
    She has a fabulous tall, home-made scratching post in the family room, that she uses a lot

The problem is that when we are in the drawing room, and has had a lovely long snooze by the stove, shes full of her beans, then she claws her way up to the top of 1 chair, leaps from it to the the next chair, then leaps on to the sofa, then uses the curtains to get to the next sofa, and does the circuit of the room (with our terrier in flight after her :cool:) so its more fun and games than scratching posts.

Jeez the dogs would stop doing something after 2 or 3 shouts of NO! and being turfed out. This cocky-cat business makes me wonder how they survived as such popular pets for thousands of years!! I swear she gives me this look when I give out to her, or if I bop her on top of the head that just oozes complete and utter feline contempt.

Gave her a worming tablet this a.m - she is still sulking and giving me that look since (although she did come and take some of her fav treats - under sufferance)

The problem is that when we are in the drawing room, and has had a lovely long snooze by the stove, shes full of her beans, then she claws her way up to the top of 1 chair, leaps from it to the the next chair, then leaps on to the sofa, then uses the curtains to get to the next sofa, and does the circuit of the room (with our terrier in flight after her :cool:) so its more fun and games than scratching posts.
    You've just described the concept of the cat highway :D. This is something every cat looks for in every room; a way to navigate the place with out touching the floor. Honestly the only advice then is to give an alternate route (preferably higher) for Tux to use instead; if you google cat highway you'll find plenty of versions and ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I've just read through this thread and it's amazing! I love the change in the cat and how you've gone from a non cat person to that post just above! It brought a tear to my eye! :)

And the pictures! God, I absolutely love it. And you sound like the nicest, most caring of people.

Jeez thats very nice Gubbie :)
    But you know Im the most amazed one - NEVER saw the point of aloof independant standoffish cats - stuck all this time with my dogs/horses/hens only - then this brat of a kitten arrives and my husband and I are cat-slaves now. Even the poor remaining dog is a cat-slave :D (shes in his bed with his teddy, hes on the floor!!) But its great - shes super-tiny after her bad start in life (weighs less than 2kg) but shes healthy and shes got a lovely life now, so its win/win

(Now I just have to figure out how to minimise the destruction of my drawing room!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You just have to show your cat what to scratch.
    I actually just interrupt the cat if he starts to scratch furniture and give him a demo of how much better the scratching post is.

Just put his paws on it and also scratch it yourself and hide things (stringy toys) to encourage him to give the posts a try.

Cats actually learn fast but they're not motivated by seeking approval nor do they respect rules like dogs do. They'll always find a way sound a rule either by waiting until you're not looking or by bribing you with 'cute' behaviour.

They enjoy the sensation of scratching much like we enjoy a bursting bubble wrap. It also removes the outer layers of their claws keeping them in good condition. So it's actually kind of essential for cats to keep themselves maintained! You need to turn the post into a fun activity that the cat enjoys.

They quickly learn : post is nice and scratchy ... Furniture gets weird reaction from the big cat that owns the place...

Also replace worn posts by putting a new one beside the old one then when the cat starts using it ditch the old one. The scent mark them with their pads so, taking it away will just cause confusion.

The main thing about cats is to realise they don't think like dogs. They're very friendly and loyal but they are basically hedonistic. They actually luxuriate in various activities much like we do. Soft surfaces, fabrics, scratchy things, nice food (they can be very picky) etc etc..
    They're big into enjoying themselves in a way that I don't think dogs do.

A dog tends to constantly need and seek approval and reassurance from the pack leader (you). Cats live socially but not in hierarchies...so you're just some guy the cat likes. It doesn't need or want approval but loves ya anyway. They do encourage you to do stuff for them though. If you feed a cat or do something it wants you to do, you'll get a big rub as a "thanks". They're complex social animals despite the nonsense people tend to believe about them.

Cats will also leave if they're mistreated where as dogs can be blindly loyal.

A cat generally won't be too bothered learning tricks to impress and they're not obedient.

Once you understand the psychology a bit they're actually very interesting creatures.

Level of intellect can be surprising too. Our guy figured out door handles and how to use the knocker!

So, TUX is scheduled to be spayed on Tuesday
    Anyone got any advice for post-op care?
    I will obviously ask at the vets, but just to plan ahead:
    I assume cats dont have a cone on like a dog would?
    Do cats usually have dissolving stitched for a spay?
    As a rule how long to recover from a spay to consider letting her outside.

I know now that Tux is going to HAVE to be an indoors/outdoors cat - presumably from being originally feral she is MAD to be outdoors. She somehow escapes once/day. I have been putting her in a playpen outside every day, when I take her in, the yowling starts.
    When she does escape outside - through an open window or if someone comes in a door too slowly, or darts out the garage door etc etc - I usually have no prob getting her back inside. So basically any ideas how long it will be after being spayed before she is healed enough to go outside?

(gulp)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Every female cat I've seen spayed has had a collar. Ours had it on for a week.

ken wrote: »
    Every female cat I've seen spayed has had a collar. Ours had it on for a week.
    Depends on how they do the operation; the last couple we done were all peephole operations and none had to wear a cone (we got one in case they got to interested in the wound but none did).

So, TUX is scheduled to be spayed on Tuesday
    Anyone got any advice for post-op care?
    I will obviously ask at the vets, but just to plan ahead:
    I assume cats dont have a cone on like a dog would?
    Do cats usually have dissolving stitched for a spay?
    As a rule how long to recover from a spay to consider letting her outside.

When back home keep her in a dim-light and quiet room. This room has to be safe, no place where she can climb onto (and where she fall from), no toys, no electrical wires. During the recovery from the anaesthetic she won't know what she's doing, she could get herself in trouble very easily.
    Don't be afraid if she doesn't recognize you or the house, it can happen. It'll be over in a couple of days.

No food or drink for at least 8 hours before the surgery, no food for at least 12 hours after it. You can leave a little water, though, just half an inch of water in a bowl.
    When she's back home she'll probably be still sleeping or not much lively. The reaction varies from cat to cat. One of the two I have slept for two days in a row. The other one was like a bomb when she was back home, she could have walked on walls and ceilings, but after a few hours she fell in a deep sleep for 36 hours.
    Mine didn't receive a cone, but your vet will tell you more.
    The cat will be given an atibiotic (possibly Convenia) and the effects could last several days, it will be one-off injection and will be enough.
    The stitches should dissolve in a pair of weeks.
    I'd keep her indoor for at least one week post-op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Nody wrote: »
    Depends on how they do the operation; the last couple we done were all peephole operations and none had to wear a cone (we got one in case they got to interested in the wound but none did).

I should have added that all I've seen done were by the same vet so maybe that's his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I've kept my cats in the bathroom after spaying. It's easy to clean up and to keep them warm. It also means that you'll be seeing them regularly during the day. I can't add much more to the excellent advice given above by other posters.

My cats are indoor/outdoor cats, most of them were semi-ferals who adopted us. We have a cat flap in the kitchen and that stops us being total cat slaves. We developed a special cat calling whistle than means their dinner is ready and they all come running. We've never had problems with them getting lost after they've been neutered. They tend to sleep all day and hassle the neighbours for food if we're not quick enough to feed them! They are fed twice a day at regular times. (We have six cats from two years old to sixteen years old).

collected Tux after being spayed this afternoon.
    No Cone = hurrah (HATE those things!) But took 1 home just in case.
    Tiny incision on her side - huge area shaved so she looks pathetic, shes pretty restless, is asleep right now sitting up, but cant seem to settle. Ate a little portion of chicken breast. Poor little tux. Check up in 3 days, and another in 7 days.

Ate a little portion of chicken breast. Poor little tux. Check up in 3 days, and another in 7 days.

She shouldn't have eaten anything... I hope the vet told you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

She shouldn't have eaten anything... I hope the vet told you that.

It's fine to give them a small meal a few hours after surgery once they've come around a bit.

aonb keep an eye without the cone on, we thought peach was fine without one but in the morning her wound was red from her licking on it. Might be worth just leaving it on when she's unsupervised?

Vets said that she could eat that evening ... she did throw up (which they said might happen) ... left some food overnight for her - all gone this a.m.
    Seems to be doing fine - a little bit quieter maybe

She doesnt seem to be interested in licking the wound at all. (shes not very "into" grooming in general - shes a bit of a scruff really :D) Now that she has her side half shaved, she looks very bedraggled! Oh well, no one in this house is high maintenance, so she fits right in :cool:

Going back for check up on saturday, so will keep a close eye on her until then. Thank you for the input/advise - have the cone here in case she starts showing an inclination to lick, I think the cones stress them out so much, its great not to have it - when its not necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

She'll be just fine - our baby slept for about 1 1/2 days after the op curled up in a little domed cat bed (perfect spot, nice, safe & warm, she found one of the best spots in the house for recuperation :P). She also had the incision on her side with a huge area shaved! No bother at all, she just left it alone. She was getting more alert and was up more after two days and back to her usual exuberant self a few days after! It took about 1/2 a year for the fur to fully grow back (long haired cat)!

o7t5rm.jpg
    a few days after the op.

Advertisement