Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog person finds a kitten - help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

aonb wrote: »
    Any advice on how to do that? She is pretty big in to biting and claws when playing. I say NO! to her and put her down when she does it. But CATS DO NOT LISTEN/LEARN!!! unlike my very simple very straightforward and very uncomplicated other animals (sigh!)
    They do listen; they simply don't give a damn ;). Your best best is redirected attack patterns; that means instead of attacking you / the dog they take it out on a toy instead. Hence when they pull out the claws you need to redirect them to a toy to use it on instead to burn that excess energy leaving you with the cuddly furball want luving part to deal with (it's easier said then done I know and most do get better over time). The other option is to give them a kitten friend who'll teach them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Any advice on how to do that? She is pretty big in to biting and claws when playing. I say NO! to her and put her down when she does it. But CATS DO NOT LISTEN/LEARN!!! unlike my very simple very straightforward and very uncomplicated other animals (sigh!)

Get some toys that she can grab and kick, also scratching posts. They love to wrestle, kick and bite but unless it's an inanimate object and not actual flesh, there's a problem. We gave our foster kitten a teddy bear and she loved it. They do listen and learn, it's just that she's a baby an over excited. The best way to let her know that she's doing something you don't like is to ignore her when she does it. Cats will literally turn their backs when they aren't sure/happy about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

First off, sorry for the horrible typo in "weapons" !

I'd say you're doing right. A firm NO along with stop playing there and then should be one of the most effective methods.
    Mother cat also puts or taps her paw on the kitten's forehead to teach him to stop doing what he's doing because it's wrong.
    Cats do learn, but at their own pace.
    One of the theories why cats do not obey is that in nature they don't live in groups, like dogs and wolves, there's no hierarchy in their life, they don't have to please a "boss", because they are bosses of themselves, so they are prone to do what they want.
    Of course they come to terms when they have to live with humans, so, because they don't like to be told off, they do what you want them to do as long as they know they are being watched.
    When nobody is looking at them they do exactly what comes to their mind.

Your cat is still too young, she behaves like a baby.
    Babies need to learn discipline, so does your cat, and it can take some time.
    Keep doing what you're doing, you'll see some results little by little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Found Tux the kitten 2 months ago today :)

Until shes neutered she is not going to be allowed outdoors.

The last couple of days, she has coughed or sneezed once or twice or three times. Since she hasnt been outdoors Im assuming she is "safe" indoors - is that the case? (she is acting like a nutter flying around the room as I type, so is in fine form!) Because she was feral, I had planned to have her vaccinated and neutered at the same time...

She is in contact (playing etc) with my dog ...

Found Tux the kitten 2 months ago today :)

Until shes neutered she is not going to be allowed outdoors.

The last couple of days, she has coughed or sneezed once or twice or three times. Since she hasnt been outdoors Im assuming she is "safe" indoors - is that the case? (she is acting like a nutter flying around the room as I type, so is in fine form!) Because she was feral, I had planned to have her vaccinated and neutered at the same time...

She is in contact (playing etc) with my dog ...

Happy anniversary!
    If she coughs or sneezes for some days you'd better phone the vet and see if they have a bit of advice.
    A cat cannot be neutered and spayed at the same time. A professional vet will tell you that the two things must be kept apart.
    When a cat is under surgery its immune system is weakened and a vaccine could be a hazard.
    My best advice is to have her vaccinated now and neutered when it's time, not the other way round.
    Veterinary practices and surgeries might be dangerous places, other pets have been in and out before yours, the place could host some viruses or bacteria, so I say that a vaccinated cat who enters a vet surgery has less chances to get something during the operation.
    Since a vaccine is active and working only after at least 6 weeks from the first shot (one shot now, another shot after 25 days, then allow 2 to 3 weeks for an effective protection), you should vaccine your cat 6-7 weeks before the neutering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is the best thread I've seen in ages.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Irishstones, thanks for that - makes absolute sense, that she should not be vaccinated and neutered at the same time...

So, Tux will have her first car-ride for vaccinations, which could be an issue :o strange vet/place = another issue :o sigh! Will have to go buy a carrier. (Ive had to buy another identical dog bed and pad because she constantly turfed the poor dog out of his beloved bed!) They are both snoring in seperate but identical beds in front of the stove as I type - its so lovely to see!

Ive been having everyone who comes to the house pet and handle her, so shes getting very good with people/handling. (She is very happy with us "family" - I get a 10 minute hug/kiss/purr session every morning, which is lovely, though Im a bit squeemish about the licks - cats tongues are yukky!!)

I reckon shes approx 3 months now, so Ive got plenty of time to squeeze in the vacc's beforehand.

I highly recommend getting a carrier that also has top opening as well as front opening. It just makes life so much easier if they splay their paws going in the front of the carrier. We use a portable soft dog crate for our 4.

I highly recommend getting a carrier that also has top opening as well as front opening. It just makes life so much easier if they splay their paws going in the front of the carrier. We use a portable soft dog crate for our 4.

Nice suggestion!
    Another very good technique for those cats who don't feel like getting into the carrier and splay their paws to fight is to push the cat into the carrier backwards, bottom first. The cat doesn't realise he's getting into the carrier and doesn't fight ;)
    It worked fine with a cat I had.

They are both snoring in seperate but identical beds in front of the stove as I type - its so lovely to see!

Any photo of this wonderful view? ;)
    Im a bit squeemish about the licks - cats tongues are yukky!!)

Cats tongues are rough, because they use it to groom themselves, they use it as a brush on their coat.
    Female cats have coarser tongues than male cats, because they also have to grrom their kittens :)
    I love been licked by a cat, that tongue gives me pleasure :D
    I reckon shes approx 3 months now, so Ive got plenty of time to squeeze in the vacc's beforehand.

Do not delay the vaccination! Do that as soon as possible!
    Any person who comes to your house could be a potential carrier of a cat disease, even you.
    I wouldn't take a chance!

• Advertisement

This is the best thread I've seen in ages.

Think this forum is just great for newbies, and people who want a bit of advice from more experienced animal owners. Boards at its best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I love been licked by a cat, that tongue gives me pleasure :D
    We had a cat once that had a penchant for licking my toes, preferably during hot weather if they were a bit sweaty :D

I am now happy to report TUX knows her name!! She comes (usually, well mostly) when shes called! My dog comes everytime she is called :rolleyes:

She also knows she is not allowed on the kitchen table. I shout TUX! lift her off the table, and give her a little tap on her bum. She gets straight back up, and this is repeated hundreds of times every day. This week when I shout her name, she hides behind the fruit bowl on the table :D then when I come to lift her down, she leaps down straight away - progress!! (of sorts!!)

Questions:

may cats have bread? When Im eating a sandwich or toast, she loves it...

I bought some LIDL cat pouches - ran out/emergency - gave her diarrhea - anyone else find this with Lidl cat pouches?!? We'll stick with our usual brands.

I have some flea collars - when to put on her? - or necessary?

She is MAD to go outside. Getting in/out of the house is becoming a trial with her making dashes for the door. To take her outside, I rigged up a harness made of a felt strip. She does NOT like having that put on, but when outside she makes DASHES and then gets pulled back. Is there any point in letting her outside? I carry her out and she watches the birds and the hens and the sheep. It must be pretty boring being stuck in the house all the time. Keeping an animal always indoors doesnt sit well with me somehow (being new to cats) - but Im terrified that if I let her out (we live in the country) she will wander off exploring and get lost/not come back. (I know its been recommended to only let her out when shes hungry/food time) She seems to follow the dog, but he is too dopey to go find her - now that would be a handy trick/skill!! Do cats have a homing skill like dogs (usually)

so-shes-like-get-off-the-counter-and-im-like-get-off-my-ass.jpg

Saw this and thought of Tux:D

I am now happy to report TUX knows her name!! She comes (usually, well mostly) when shes called! My dog comes everytime she is called :rolleyes:

81sj5JkDTmL._SX522_.jpg
    She also knows she is not allowed on the kitchen table. I shout TUX! lift her off the table, and give her a little tap on her bum. She gets straight back up, and this is repeated hundreds of times every day.
    So it's clear that she's the boss, otherwise you shouldn't need to go through it many times a day :D
    Questions:
    may cats have bread? When Im eating a sandwich or toast, she loves it...

I bought some LIDL cat pouches - ran out/emergency - gave her diarrhea - anyone else find this with Lidl cat pouches?!? We'll stick with our usual brands.

I have some flea collars - when to put on her? - or necessary?
    Answers:
    - Cats can have bread though some could have intollerance. My elder cat loves the inside of the bread, the other cat loves the crunchy crumbles when I slice it :)
    Bread and other bakery contain starch and this might lead to tooth decay, but so far my cats haven't had any problem.

-Sudden change in food can give diarrhea. It's always advisable to gradually introduce a new kind of food. More, some cheap brands are more likely to give problems, especially with kittens. Stick with what she knows well, and, above all, the food must be of premium of very high quality.
    The most you invest on food, the less you'll pay at the vet.

-Flea collars are necessary if the cat is allowed outside. But I think that spot on products do a much better job. I use Bayer Advocate that I think is top.
    She is MAD to go outside. Getting in/out of the house is becoming a trial with her making dashes for the door. To take her outside, I rigged up a harness made of a felt strip. She does NOT like having that put on, but when outside she makes DASHES and then gets pulled back. Is there any point in letting her outside? I carry her out and she watches the birds and the hens and the sheep. It must be pretty boring being stuck in the house all the time. Keeping an animal always indoors doesnt sit well with me somehow (being new to cats) - but Im terrified that if I let her out (we live in the country) she will wander off exploring and get lost/not come back. (I know its been recommended to only let her out when shes hungry/food time) She seems to follow the dog, but he is too dopey to go find her - now that would be a handy trick/skill!! Do cats have a homing skill like dogs (usually)
    I only take my cats out with harness and lead. I bought a harness tailored to cats (please, google Trixie 4188), and a 5 metres extendable flexi lead. A pair for each cat. They love it!!!
    Cats can have homing skill, I personally knew a cat who got lost about 50 km from his home (the owner told me he took him on a trip on the mountains around here where he has a second house) and he got back home in a week time.
    Some cats can do much better. Two days ago I have read this news

http://www.thelocal.fr/20141215/cat-reunited-with-owner-after-1200-km-journey-across-france

Do not take for granted that every cat is as clever as this one :)

Pumpkinseeds, You mean I need to think about hiding the phone too?!?!?!?

Brilliant! Thanks :D

We use Broadline spot on from our vets. It kills earmites, worms and fleas. I read somewhere that flea collars can be toxic to cats as they're constantly releasing stuff onto the cats skin. The Broadline just takes care of everything in one go and saves a lot of hassle. Collars are something that you have to be really careful with, never get one that has a buckle as the cat can choke or do themselves serious damage if they get caught on a branch or fence etc. Best to get one with a safety release, you can get them in most pet shops and online. We have all 4 of our cats microchipped, they can lose collars but they can't lose a chip.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aonb, you can not train a cat to not go on the table.
    You can teach a cat that they are not allowed on the table, you can even train a cat not to go on the table when you're around but you will never train a cat not to go on a table without electrifying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aonb, you can not train a cat to not go on the table.
    You can teach a cat that they are not allowed on the table, you can even train a cat not to go on the table when you're around but you will never train a cat not to go on a table without electrifying it!
    Google "ssscat". Works a treat.

We use Broadline spot on from our vets. It kills earmites, worms and fleas. I read somewhere that flea collars can be toxic to cats as they're constantly releasing stuff onto the cats skin. The Broadline just takes care of everything in one go and saves a lot of hassle. Collars are something that you have to be really careful with, never get one that has a buckle as the cat can choke or do themselves serious damage if they get caught on a branch or fence etc. Best to get one with a safety release, you can get them in most pet shops and online. We have all 4 of our cats microchipped, they can lose collars but they can't lose a chip.:)

Can I use BROADLINE spot on as a wormer AND everything else?? Ive tried getting a worming tablet in to her, and to be honest I failed, and Im really reluctant to try again (trauma for her and trauma for me!!) If this would work as a general wormer and is only a 'spot on' that would be great. Is it generally available from a vet - should I phone to order it?

• Advertisement

Can I use BROADLINE spot on as a wormer AND everything else?? Ive tried getting a worming tablet in to her, and to be honest I failed, and Im really reluctant to try again (trauma for her and trauma for me!!) If this would work as a general wormer and is only a 'spot on' that would be great. Is it generally available from a vet - should I phone to order it?

No. You'd have to wait to put it on her. With kittens I think worming is more frequent and weight based. As far as I remember the vet weighed our foster kitten and gave us Parazole wormer for her. It's liquid so should be much easier(in theory) to get into puss.

The Broadline is everything in one and is for cats from 2.5kg to 7.5kg in weight.

Many thanks for that. I just weighed her - shes 1430g :)
    So, will remember to get the BROADLINE, when shes a bigger.

Got her to take a quarter worming tablet, covered in butter, just now.

The kitten and I are also covered in butter. :D

Life with TUX is cruising along.
    She is dying to go outdoors - getting out the door without her squeezing her way out is a pain - Ive started taking her out on a harness/leash for a few mins - not much fun as she 'dashes' off and wont 'come' on the leash with me - even my special needs dog wasnt this much trouble :cool:

Two questions for you cat experts:

1. She floods the room with water 'fishing' in the drinking water bowl :mad: Any ideas why she would do this (I thought cats hated water) and more importantly how to stop it. She swirls her paws in the bowl, flings it about - water everywhere! I leave a little bowl of water where she sleeps and never seems to drink from that - only from the dogs (bigger?) bowl?

2. Sometimes she just sits with her mouth OPEN - looks v.cute - shes not panting or anything - just looks odd

oh and 1 more - I swear dogs are so simple/biddable/easy (can you tell she has me totally flumoxed?!?!?) sometimes she comes and miaows at me - I usually give her a treat/food/bring her to the litter etc - but sometimes she does this when all of the above have been sorted - how do I know what the heck she wants, or is she just 'talking' to me?!?!?!?

shes asleep on my lap while I type this - once she tired of trying to swipe the cursor on the screen :P

Cats are fussy about water and bowls(and most things):D They don't like their whiskers to touch the sides of the bowl. Toby will only drink from running water source so he used to drink from the down pipe out the front of the house or the tap in the bathroom sink. We got him a drinking fountain that has a running water bit and a bowl and he loves it. Jazzy was feral and he will only drink rainwater. Felix and Poppy drink from a big stainless steel dogs water bowl in the garden, neither will use the drinking fountain:rolleyes:

The miaowing randomly is just chat. I love the open mouth stare, sometimes ours have the tip of their tongues jutting out, cracks me up every time.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tux is such a great name!

Flea collars aren't great for cats, and it's a little early to use any of the spot-on flea killers - ask the vet for advice.

If you'd like to train her, it's very easy. Here's Luna learning to 'sit'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqOtHykYx8

(she 'sat' on 'command' - looking up as if to say she was sharing the joke - forever after that, with the occasional treat and pet).

and a short article about clicker training http://www.clickertraining.com/node/23

1. She floods the room with water 'fishing' in the drinking water bowl :mad: Any ideas why she would do this (I thought cats hated water) and more importantly how to stop it. She swirls her paws in the bowl, flings it about - water everywhere! I leave a little bowl of water where she sleeps and never seems to drink from that - only from the dogs (bigger?) bowl?

2. Sometimes she just sits with her mouth OPEN - looks v.cute - shes not panting or anything - just looks odd

oh and 1 more - I swear dogs are so simple/biddable/easy (can you tell she has me totally flumoxed?!?!?) sometimes she comes and miaows at me - I usually give her a treat/food/bring her to the litter etc - but sometimes she does this when all of the above have been sorted - how do I know what the heck she wants, or is she just 'talking' to me?!?!?!?

shes asleep on my lap while I type this - once she tired of trying to swipe the cursor on the screen :P

Some cats love to play with water, the internet has plenty of photos of cats drinking from taps or even bathing :D
    As Pumpinkseeds says, probably Tux hate to feel her whiskers touching the edge of the bowl. My elder cat used to put her paw into the water bowl just to see if the water was in. My vet told me that it might be a way to check the presence of the water or the level into the bowl. It seems that cats can't see at a very short distance, so, rather than dipping her nose into the water she was just checking the level and then move accordingly ;)
    Tux is very young, she's still playing a lot with everything is around her. Be patient...

The open mouth is a thing of her. A cat of mine now in heaven used to stare at me with the tip of her tongue sticking out.

And some cats can be very talkative, they just want to communicate and can't understand why you don't get the message :D

Happy new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Have you brought Tux to the vet yet? You should really have started the vaccinations by now, particularly if you are reintroducing him/her to the outside world.

What a gorgeous kitty though! Mine was a feral, only him and his sister were alive in their litter when found and both very ill with cat flu. He had been handled a fair bit while being treated and came home with us at 7 weeks, where his favourite game was to catch people's eyelashes while they blinked. He's 11 now, and still a very playful and affectionate cat, though only when it suits him.

Here is TUX, installed in her favourite position - at one of the stoves, jammed against the dog. I have to say, I never thought I would see the day when one of my terriers would tolerate a cat - makes me very happy that it all worked out.

image1.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Here is TUX, installed in her favourite position - at one of the stoves, jammed against the dog. I have to say, I never thought I would see the day when one of my terriers would tolerate a cat - makes me very happy that it all worked out.

image1.jpeg

She got so big!! What a beautiful kitty. Delighted her and the dog are getting on so well :)

• Advertisement

Brought Tux to the vet this a.m for vaccinations, and for a check up.

You may remember that I found Tux as a tiny kitten back at the beginning of October. Her siblings didnt survive (the 2 I could find). At that time, and in hindsight I realize Tux had been living (somehow) on my hens feed. I have no idea how long for. When I found her she was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand. Unfortunately I didnt weigh her then - she was feral so it would have been tricky. I have no idea about cats/kittens, but she could eat solid food...

The thing is that this morning the vet (new to me) that I saw said that in his opinion Tux is approx 9 months old!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: She is fine and healthy and a good weight. But how could she be 9 months - that means that when I found her in wk 1. October, she was 4-5 MONTHS old!?!?!? Could this be possible?!?!? That she would be such a tiny creature, fitting in my hand and be 16 weeks (minimum)? I asked the vet twice if he was sure she could be this age, and he was very confident....

Anyway, it just seems amazing to me, but on the plus side Tux can be spayed in 2 wks, and he says she is very healthy/good condition etc...

Advertisement