Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hrv vs air to water

Options
  • 11-10-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a rough idea for the cost of hrv in 1900sq ft house? Have a cost for underfloor and air to water and want to compare, or is there anyone who has both systems in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can anyone give me a rough idea for the cost of hrv in 1900sq ft house? Have a cost for underfloor and air to water and want to compare, or is there anyone who has both systems in place?

..forgive me, but you want to compare the price of a ventilation system against a heating system ??

...what's the connection - or am I missing something here ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..forgive me, but you want to compare the price of a ventilation system against a heating system ??

...what's the connection - or am I missing something here ?

OK, it's not just me then. I wanted to reply, but was too confused :)

OP, as galwaytt indicates, MVHR is a ventilation system. It has the added benefit of harvesting some of the heat from stale outgoing air. But this air must be warmed in the first place by something else...i.e. your heating system. They are two separate things.

Not trying to lecture...not too long ago I didn't know what MVHR was, but there are lots of post throughout the construction forum with all the information you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

I know it is a ventilation system, I have done my research I want to compare the costs of one versus another before commiting to a type of heating system before I chose hrv or mechanical vents in windows or through walls. I appreciate both replies and apologise for the poor phrasing of opening post!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know it is a ventilation system, I have done my research I want to compare the costs of one versus another before commiting to a type of heating system before I chose hrv or mechanical vents in windows or through walls. I appreciate both replies and apologise for the poor phrasing of opening post!

There is no comparison between the costs of trickle vents and MVHR. One is measured in €€, the other in €,€€€.

Neither (should) influence the choice of heating system, so I'm still not sure what the goal is here. ...

Your choice of heating system is determined by the heating demand of your building, which comes from its specification and it's quality of construction ( airtightness basically).

Your choice of ventilation is based on cost and personal preference. The only exception I can think of is where you want the MVHR to perform a heating function. And that version is measured in €€,€€€. And your building needs to be very high spec and quality for that to work.

Or am I still not understanding this correctly ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement