Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Phonewatch

Options
  • 11-10-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I have a Phonewatch Simon panel with wireless sensors, and a GSM box.
    Last year my monitoring jumped by €50 for the year. To avoid any further nasty shocks, are there any good alternatives to Phonewatch:
    - Another monitoring company that can monitor a Phonewatch alarm?
    - Anyone who would have service codes to re-program the panel to text or dial me, instead of the Phonewatch control center?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

YouNeek wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Phonewatch Simon panel with wireless sensors, and a GSM box.
    Last year my monitoring jumped by €50 for the year. To avoid any further nasty shocks, are there any good alternatives to Phonewatch:
    - Another monitoring company that can monitor a Phonewatch alarm?
    - Anyone who would have service codes to re-program the panel to text or dial me, instead of the Phonewatch control center?

Thanks.

Yes is the answer to both your questions.
    I would not advise having your system connected to a monitoring station relying on a GSM.
    It can be blocked too easily. With your system there is also no log so no way of knowing if a blocker was used either.

If you did decide to set up the system to contact yourself this is also possible.
    If you want me to help you get the engineer code then please feel free to send me a P.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Count yourself lucky op that you have a Simon system from Phonewatch. It is a control panel manufactured by GE, a company which used open protocol for monitoring stations.
    So yes as Altor mentioned you have a choice of monitoring stations which you can connect to.

I feel sorry for those people who have gotten the latest phonewatch system, they have really no choice as to who can monitor their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 YouNeek

Any recommendations on other companies, or any idea of costs?

YouNeek wrote: »
    Any recommendations on other companies, or any idea of costs?

We can't give out specifics here or recommend one over the other therefore I would recommend that you check the PSA website for installers in your own area. Then give a few a call and have a chat with them.
    You need a PSA registered installer to connect a system to a monitoring station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I see Phonewatch have increased their prices (significantly !), so I'm definitely looking to move ....

From a quick look on the internet, it seems there are a good number of alternatives.

Has anyone any experience with the following companies, please ?

ADT.ie

Securigard.ie

Dublin city location, currently have a wireless set up from Eircom days (system is 8-9 years old).

Thank you.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I see Phonewatch have increased their prices (significantly !), so I'm definitely looking to move ....

From a quick look on the internet, it seems there are a good number of alternatives.

Has anyone any experience with the following companies, please ?

ADT.ie

Securigard.ie

Dublin city location, currently have a wireless set up from Eircom days (system is 8-9 years old).

Thank you.

If it's the Simon system then you might have issues finding a reputable company to take it over after Joe Duffy revealed on Air how phone watch systems are being disabled.

Any monitoring station can use this system it's finding an installer who knows how to use and wants to touch those systems that is the issue.

As for giving recommendations about the above two companies we're not allowed.
    Ring around and look for at least 3 quotes from local installers in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Evolution1 wrote: »
    ...As for giving recommendations about the above two companies we're not allowed.

Sorry, I misunderstood the rules.

I had thought (incorrectly) that people could not plug companies, but thought responses based on experience of customers on service would be OK if specifically asked for.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go have a look at the box and see if I can find a make and model number, first. Then get on the phone.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Sorry, I misunderstood the rules.

I had thought (incorrectly) that people could not plug companies, but thought responses based on experience of customers on service would be OK if specifically asked for.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go have a look at the box and see if I can find a make and model number, first. Then get on the phone.

If you are concerned about the vulnerability of your existing Phonewatch control panel, assuming it is a GE Simon.
    You could get an installer to fit a new GE panel elsewhere in your home and it will be compatible with your existing sensors as they would also have been manufactured by GE.
    We have successfully taken over a few PW systems and have been successful with this.

kub wrote: »
    If you are concerned about the vulnerability of your existing Phonewatch control panel, assuming it is a GE Simon.
    You could get an installer to fit a new GE panel elsewhere in your home and it will be compatible with your existing sensors as they would also have been manufactured by GE.
    We have successfully taken over a few PW systems and have been successful with this.

Kub can you use the Simon XT sensors?

Kub can you use the Simon XT sensors?

The Simon XT sensors are 868, the GE system can use 868 plus 433 with the receivers installed.

• Advertisement

Have they released an 868mhz quik bridge that can use the simon Xt sensors?
    I've loads of these sensors but no use without a quik bridge

Have they released an 868mhz quik bridge that can use the simon Xt sensors?
    I've loads of these sensors but no use without a quik bridge

They dont have a quick bridge but if you use GEs system then you can add them using the receiver. Its like using a CS250 with receiver.

Advertisement