Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cabin Crew Recruitment thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 caritafi

I also got rejection mail today. Ridiculous that it took that long, well done to all those who were successful and good luck in your new career.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Raaaachelh

did anyone get offered training in may or is hoping to get training in may?? im still waiting for them to tell me if there will be training courses going ahead in may im so nervous ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 IrC

Raaaachelh wrote: »
    did anyone get offered training in may or is hoping to get training in may?? im still waiting for them to tell me if there will be training courses going ahead in may im so nervous ! :(
    A girl at my medical a few weeks ago said her start date was 4th may

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Raaaachelh

IrC wrote: »
    A girl at my medical a few weeks ago said her start date was 4th may

They told me that they don't have any confirmation of there being courses in May? So strange, thanks for letting me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sgal7

There is at least another 2 groups in May. I was originally starting training 31st May but I was then moved to 15th May group. Sorry to hear about ones getting rejection mail after so long :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ennao

It will be next year by the time some of us hear back😂 Still waiting on the the email or phone call

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cc2017

Ennao wrote: »
    It will be next year by the time some of us hear back😂 Still waiting on the the email or phone call

Hi Ennis .. were your ref checked .....I'm still waiting too just to hear something would be great at this stage

Just rang ....there are still positions available ☺️

Cc2017 wrote: »
    Hi Ennis .. were your ref checked .....I'm still waiting too just to hear something would be great at this stage

Not sure if my ref were contacted as I no longer work there..but hopefully no news is good news,would love to hear back soon though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

I'm starting in a different Aer Lingus role in a few weeks, was just wondering do you get a contract in the post and does it come long before you start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Becksor95

I'm still waiting on either a phone call or an email, the wait is very long and I'm hoping no news is good news. Has anyone heard of anyone getting offers lately ?

Qprmeath wrote: »
    I'm starting in a different Aer Lingus role in a few weeks, was just wondering do you get a contract in the post and does it come long before you start?

Yes you should get a contract in the post before you start and you bring a copy with you on your first day

Has anyone heard anything back recently

Has anyone heard anything back recently

Someone got the phone call on Friday ! I called them again and they said we should know within the next two weeks so hopefully that's true and we actually hear something! Fingers crossed it's good news !

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stemar3

Hi there
    I have been offered a permanent seasonal contract with Aer Lingus as cabin crew, starting in April. Im currently interested in the offer but on the fence and considering my options. I was looking for people's opinions who have there or have any knowledge on it - how many days a week do you typically do, and typically how many hours a day? How does their holiday system work, and typically how many flights a week? Finally...Did you enjoy it? Even just a list of pros and cons would be fantastic.
    Thank you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'll give you my knowledge but its 2nd hand and possible a little out of date.

Hours per week/year:You can work up to 900 max flight hour per year (called block hours)
    This doesnt count the hours on the ground before, between and after flights.
    Total hours worked per year could be 1500-1600.

Flights per day: You work your duty. That could be Dublin to Rome and back. Or it could be Dublin to London twice.
    Or it could be Dublin to Manchester and back, followed by Dublin to Amsterdam and back.
    So 2 or 4 flights depending on sector (single flight) length and whatever you are rostered.
    Expect shifts ranging from 6-12 hours with the possibility of delays adding to that. (My mates are very weather focused)

Days off: You get 2 days off per week, so you work 5 days per week. Rosters are not fixed. You get pretty much what the system throws at you. You mostly get your 2 days off together, but it can happen every 2-3 months that you get "split days" off.
    Im told that there is a request system at the moment that is seniority based to allow a preference for late vs early flights, longer flights vs mutiple shorter hops.
    As a junior entrant you will be low on the pecking order, thats the reality of working in aviation.

Holidays: Not sure how it works in there at the moment. I assume its similar to rosters, ie seniority?
    My mates arent always guaranteed their holidays and I know they have to book a really long time in advance.

Contract: Im not sure exactly what "seasonal permanent" means. Must be a new option. But as I say, my knowledge is 2nd hand.

EDIT:I'm going to merge this with the recruitment thread, some of the posters seem to be current crew and may be better suited to advise you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Stemar3 wrote: »
    Hi there
    I have been offered a permanent seasonal contract with Aer Lingus as cabin crew, starting in April. Im currently interested in the offer but on the fence and considering my options. I was looking for people's opinions who have there or have any knowledge on it - how many days a week do you typically do, and typically how many hours a day? How does their holiday system work, and typically how many flights a week? Finally...Did you enjoy it? Even just a list of pros and cons would be fantastic.
    Thank you
    Hi there,
    Unfortunately I don't work for aer lingus, however I have a few years experience working as cabin crew and would be happy to assist with questions.
    I too have second hand information on Aer Lingus from friends there much the same as Tenger.
    Just in relation to how many days you work per month etc. From looking at my old rosters I typically worked around 18/20 days per month sometimes as low as 16 it tends to vary depending on any leave booked and how high your hours are!
    These working days can be flights or standby, which means you're on call basically but only for a couple of hours usually in the morning or afternoon.
    Working days tend to be either an early start finishing in the afternoon, or an afternoon start finishing at night.
    We could do anywhere between 1 and 5 flights in a day, typically though it was 2 or 4. You could also bid for your preference( I prefer earlies!)
    Our rosters were typically meant working 5 days with either 2 or 3 days off after, we could pre select days off in advance if we needed, subject to availabiulity !
    That's short haul, aer lingus also do long haul trips although I'm not sure how soon new entrants are trained on long haul aircraft, it used to be after at least a year however this has changed recently I believe.
    There are many pro's and con's to they job, it's shift work really but I enjoyed finished work at midday on a Wednesday sometimes!
    I feel where I work the leave and amount of working days is very good relative to pay, I don't know any friends in other jobs who have a similar amount of leave relative to working days. But then you do work around a roster!
    Days can be long, delays happen and dealing with the flying public will test you!
    But the good days are great and if you think you'll enjoy working in aviation then I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 intheair2017

Stemar3 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Thank you

Hi!

Permanent seasonal contract means that you're guaranteed 8/9 months work every year (I say 8/9 cause it depends on what contract you get). It's a relatively new contract but generally what has happened since it has been introduced is you do one perm seasonal contract and then you're offered a year round perm with a few weeks off in between contracts.

At the start you'll be on European flights until the demand for more transatlantic crew arises. You can request what you wanna do i.e. earlies, mids, lates, specific flight numbers, days off etc etc. If you bid for earlies usually your roster will be 100% earlies but say if you bid for a specific flight number you will only get a certain amount. So most people will request a check in/check out time and one or two flight numbers.

The roster is generally 5 on 2 off but you can have 4 on 2 off or a week of up to 6 in a row but we have an agreement there that you cannot have split days off. If you work a bank hol you'll generate two days in lieu so therefore one week may pan out as 2 days on, one DL day, 1 on and two off etc. You have to have two days off from mon to sun each week.

How many hours a day you do completely depends on the flights for that day. You could work anywhere between 5-11 hours but generally it's about 8. You either do 2 or 4 flights a day.

Annual leave bookings are taken over the phone. It is done by grades so cabin managers and seniors book first on diff days and then regular cabin crew. The most senior half of cabin crew will ring one day and the most junior half the second day. It is done on first come first serve basis. But don't worry they will allocate x amount of weeks to each grade so by the time you ring all the good weeks won't be gone. Yee have already missed the summer leave bookings for this year so those will be allocated to you but I imagine you should be able to book the winter leave.

Yes I absolutely enjoy it and wouldn't change it! It is a brill job (especially when you're put on the transatlantic routes). They break up your roster so much so much! id say go for it! I took a gamble taking the job too and it has defo paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kicsicsirke

Sorry to be harsh, but, are you seriously asking these questions NOW?!
    AFTER they offered you the contract?!
    There are so many people praying for this for month and years, and you are wasting everyone's time, because you don't realy know anything about the job you applied for?! They took the time to check on you, to make a personalised contract for you, taking the place from others that are waiting for the position, call you... and you start to wonder NOW?!
    Sorry, but I can not understand this, maybe I am just too old schoolish...

Does anybody know how they decide who gets seasonal contracts and who gets fixed term contracts? Thanks

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard of anyone getting a call this week ? Literally pulling my hair out waiting on this phone call !

Becksor95 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of anyone getting a call this week ? Literally pulling my hair out waiting on this phone call !

Same I'm literally checking my phone every 5 minutes

Same I'm literally checking my phone every 5 minutes

When was your interview ? It's been over 3 months now since I've heard anything

Sorry to be harsh, but, are you seriously asking these questions NOW?!
    AFTER they offered you the contract?!
    There are so many people praying for this for month and years, and you are wasting everyone's time, because you don't realy know anything about the job you applied for?! They took the time to check on you, to make a personalised contract for you, taking the place from others that are waiting for the position, call you... and you start to wonder NOW?!
    Sorry, but I can not understand this, maybe I am just too old schoolish...

Perhaps you are old schoolish or perhaps you don't know my current circumstances to criticize. Not that I should feel the need to explain myself but I wouldn't be asking these questions on a forum had I gotten the answers from the company, who said I would find that out at training when I did ask. They were obviously the first port of call for questions and with a reply like this I will maintain that attitude in future - a current cabin crew member recommended I posted here as according to her it is generally more than helpful - I did not expect to be insulted for asking questions I could not get the answers to. Im sorry but no I'm not wasting everyone's time - if you were actually what they were looking for you'd be hired as well. Good luck in your prospective employment.

Also thank you kindly to everyone for their information - I really appreciated it and due to current turn of family circumstances I was trying to arrange things in my head. Really appreciate it and good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kicsicsirke

I definately don't know your circumstancies, that is true. What I do know is that the first thing, when applying for a job is look for information about It. You could have asked the same questions, as lots of people did, in october-november, so when you get there, going with a clear picture. But as I said, that is just me.

I definately don't know your circumstancies, that is true. What I do know is that the first thing, when applying for a job is look for information about It. You could have asked the same questions, as lots of people did, in october-november, so when you get there, going with a clear picture. But as I said, that is just me.

I knew I wanted the job it didnt matter what the working situations would be - I would still take it. Again not that I should feel the need to explain myself but due to family circumstances I now have to ask and I thank those who kindly offered their assistance and did not begrudge me asking. Good luck in your prospective employment.

Another week gone by ....anybody hear anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

There's a group starting cabin crew training the week of the 27th and then another group starting their training on the 03rd or 10th of April.

• Advertisement

Heard today off a friend that internals have started this week and another group next week

Advertisement