Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cabin Crew Recruitment thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cc2017

Jambori wrote: »
    I contacted them this week as well. They said positions are still being offered, and that all unsuccessful candidates have been notified. I really hope they're putting together groups for June. They mentioned something about seeing how training goes, which might mean they're waiting to see if people drop out etc. They said a panel (to be used in the next recruitment) would be made once all spaces have been filled! Did they say anything about June specifically?

Yes they said June has yet to be filled so hopefully fingers crossed

Cc2017 wrote: »
    Yes they said June has yet to be filled so hopefully fingers crossed

A panel .....great another wait! Do you think the panel will be trained in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jambori

A panel .....great another wait! Do you think the panel will be trained in June?

That's great news about June! So presumably they would let you know sometime in May if ye got into the June group? As regards the panel, the impression I got was that it's to do with the next recruitment, presumably in the autumn! Fingers crossed for June!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 IrC

I'm training at the moment and I did hear on Friday that people were getting called for a new group starting in June but didn't hear much else

IrC wrote: »
    I'm training at the moment and I did hear on Friday that people were getting called for a new group starting in June but didn't hear much else

Thank you for letting us know...fingers crossed

• Advertisement

IrC wrote: »

Thanks for that! Great news!

Thank you for letting us know...fingers crossed

Hear anything so far this week? Hoping this will finally be the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Becksor95

No haven't heard anything from them since my interview which was December 12th 😂 Apart from the email I've sent them about the recruitment!

Becksor95 wrote: »
    No haven't heard anything from them since my interview which was December 12th 😂 Apart from the email I've sent them about the recruitment!

Really hoping we get into the June course! Whether it's that or being put on a panel for next year we should know soon enough as June isn't too far away! Well hopefully we will anyway! What a wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Clairecas 123

I currently missed the job opening recruitment for aer lingus unfortunately! I have now decided that I'm going to dedicate a year to do a travel and tourism with cabin crew and airline studies course, which covers customer service work experience and all the good added extras that goes along with airline studies. I am doing this untill the next opportunity comes up for recruitment again. Please answer this part: is this course desirable to a recruiter? Does it stand out,, that I'm showing previous interest in the industry that I took my time to devote myself of the knowledge of the industry? And one last question, which is the best reputable collage to study this course, by this I mean, that an employer will think good of the collage, I was looking into portobello institute? Thank you for any feedback!

• Advertisement

Got a call about being placed on a panel. Not the phone call I wanted to be honest..6 months of waiting to be told that??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

To be honest, I don't think the course will help your chances, this is just my opinion and the impression I get from colleagues who do recruitment(for an airline)
    Teaching yourself about the aviation industry by reading up online, watching various documentaries and having a general interest in aviation will mean you'll gain a similar if not more open leave of necessary knowledge as any course.
    A public facing job where you're dealing with the public and looking after people on a daily basis carries much much more merit than a paid for course when it come to getting a job as crew

Could you suggest anything that would stand out? I'm currently cleaning in a hospital, and worked as a waitress before but only for a couple of months, I was thinking maybe volunteering somewhere or take up some work experience on my spare time, are you a cabin crew member yourself? , would you know any background of someone who got accepted onto cabin crew, or what makes someone desirable for this position, Thanks very much for any help.

Could you suggest anything that would stand out? I'm currently cleaning in a hospital, and worked as a waitress before but only for a couple of months, I was thinking maybe volunteering somewhere or take up some work experience on my spare time, are you a cabin crew member yourself? , would you know any background of someone who got accepted onto cabin crew, or what makes someone desirable for this position, Thanks very much for any help.
    Waitressing is a good one as it's public facing, working on a reception desk in an office complex or hotel would also be good. Working as a shop assistant would be equally as good as again you're looking after the public. Charity work is a fantastic experience, not only on a personal level but also on anyone's CV. It's shows you're compassionate and committed. Highly sought after traits.
    You see to bag the job as cabin crew you'd need to give the impression to the interviewers that you're a warm, caring welcoming person, however that's not enough alone, they're also looking for people skills, the ability to problem solve etc. and confidence is key to this. They want to see your confident dealing with people and this comes from experience. They also want to see through your work experience that you understand the importance of customer service, customer impressions and making people feel looked after.
    All of this coupled with the right charisma will result you achieving this job

Thanks very much for all you're help, I think going down this route is a much better option as compared to paying thousands for a course, as you said actually getting hands on experience is much more important and relevant,

Does aer lingus hire yearly or is this just a one off thing every few years, does anyone think aer lingus will be recruiting again in 2018? Thanks for any replys

Thanks very much for all you're help, I think going down this route is a much better option as compared to paying thousands for a course, as you said actually getting hands on experience is much more important and relevant,

Yeah defiantly, and instead of paying to learn about experiences you can earn money gaining the necessary experience in the right job. If you live near the airport check out DAA and airport jobs, the airport often employ special summer staff to assist passengers passing through the airport

Becksor95 wrote: »
    Got a call about being placed on a panel. Not the phone call I wanted to be honest..6 months of waiting to be told that??

I know exactly what you mean...I heard nothing but from what I've heard most people on the panel get the position

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just merged your query into this thread as I thought it beter placed. I would agree with the advice given, better to get hands on experience (and earn money) than pay 1000's for a course which doesnt give you any guarantee's.

Jambori wrote: »
    I contacted them this week as well. They said positions are still being offered, and that all unsuccessful candidates have been notified. I really hope they're putting together groups for June. They mentioned something about seeing how training goes, which might mean they're waiting to see if people drop out etc. They said a panel (to be used in the next recruitment) would be made once all spaces have been filled! Did they say anything about June specifically?
    I got the long awaited call....how about you hope you heard we sound like the last

• Advertisement

I got the long awaited call....how about you hope you heard we sound like the last

What did they say to you ? Are you on a panel aswell ? I got a call from them yesterday too

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Sorry if this has been asked numerous times, but do EI recruit often? I'd love to apply! Anyone know of any plans to recruit new cabin crew in the next few months/years? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked numerous times, but do EI recruit often? I'd love to apply! Anyone know of any plans to recruit new cabin crew in the next few months/years? Thanks

The last few years they've tended to recruit annually for summer demand increases, I don't think those contracts are permanent though so you may be let go at the end of summer seasons, open to correction on that but thats what I understood the contracts were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Mister R wrote: »
    The last few years they've tended to recruit annually for summer demand increases, I don't think those contracts are permanent though so you may be let go at the end of summer seasons, open to correction on that but thats what I understood the contracts were.
    not true , they wouldn't invest in 6 weeks training just for a summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Just regarding doing some Aviation/Airline course as others have said it more than likely is a waste of money,My friend joined EI in 1998 none of her class mates did any course alot were waitress or working a reception job.
    Another lad I know him came from air 2000 back in the day there is another girl I know who worked for an airline handling agent.
    The thung is to research the airline what routes they fly aircraft types etc.
    As for temporary roles it happens quiet alot at Dub companies from refueling to catering airline handling companies take on Temps, For the peak period but if you excel at the job they could keep you on longer.
    Get in the door first then worry about what happens next, Working at Dub means you need airside permits security clearance etc.
    Just say the company needs to get staff for holiday/sickness &maternity cover the person who worked there temping will always get the nod.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Oops69 wrote: »
    Mister R wrote: »
    Based on the info on this thread and similar over the last couple of years it seems they definitely have a system on short term hires with permanancy after 1-2 contracts.
    Contracts seem to vary in length depending on the poster/time recruited.

Tenger wrote: »
    Based on the info on this thread and similar over the last couple of years it seems they definitely have a system on short term hires with permanancy after 1-2 contracts.
    Contracts seem to vary in length depending on the poster/time recruited.

They don't , I know .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

That's exactly whay they do and have done for the past few years. And the training isnt just for the summer season. Some contracts end in october, some next january.

orionm_73 wrote: »
    That's exactly whay they do and have done for the past few years. And the training isnt just for the summer season. Some contracts end in october, some next january.
    grand , whatever you like to think.

• Advertisement

orionm_73 wrote: »
    grand , whatever you like to think.

Seriously.... I can tell you it's a COLD HARD fact that cabin crew begin their careers on seasonal contracts, this is a fact and it's a happens in EI as well as most major airlines. In Aer Lingus it works like this after your first season you may be kept on depending on need, if you're not you'll be let go for a number of months over the winter and invited back the following season, after this season pending performance you'll be offered a permanent-part-time contract, where you get approx 3 months paid leave over the winter, you are however a permanently employed crew member. The next step up is full time permanent.

Advertisement