Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house training puppy and baby

• 11-10-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi I posted before about wanting a puppy for my daughter , my mothers dog had puppies recently and all but one gas no home so I have decided to take him , in 2 weeks . I don't have a garden so he will be sleeping inside but how can I teach him to hopefully not pee on the floor too much and to have him around my daughter shes 10 months old .

She has seen him a few times but she's not the type of baby that grabs or is rough she seems shy of him only happy to say hi when he is far away .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you don't have a garden, where is the dog going to go to the toilet? You are going to make things very difficult for yourself with no garden and the puppy will be peeing and pooing on the floor for a while until it's trained.
    Crate training can help but it needs an awful lot of effort put in.

You need to be taking the dog outside as often as possible as they cannot hold it for long at this young age.
    I don't think you realise the work that goes in to a puppy and o think you will have your hands full esp with a 10 month old baby too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I completely agree with andreac. I have a 9 month old baby and wouldn't dream about getting a puppy or any new dog at this stage tbh. I used to foster puppies a few years ago and they are seriously HARD work! And their teeth are like razors!!! from a hygiene point of view it's not a good idea as I presume your baby is flying around crawling and like andreac said the puppy will be peeing and Pooing everywhere for the first while. If you were set on getting a dog I would suggest an older dog that is used to children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Start with - where do you want the pup to pee poo?
    Can you baby gate the door of the kitchen or the pup and baby can be kept separate?
    Are you home during the day?
    If the pup is coming from your mam cam you get her to start toilet training before you get it?
    What type of pup is it?
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I think it's a great idea for the pup to stay with your mam for a while. Then you can visit and maybe walk it and play etc so that in a while you can take him home after he is a bit used to the baby and toilet trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP looking at the advice you got in your original post about wanting a pup, you were mostly advised against it, you didn't even mention that you didn't have a garden, as others have said, where is the dog going to toilet? Honestly I think it's a terrible idea, as I said in my original reply to you, you also mentioned you're starting up your own business as well as having a 10 month old, why you'd want to add a peeing, pooping, nipping, noisy, busy puppy into that mix is absolutely beyond me, worst idea ever.

I really hope your mother gets her dog spayed as well, there are way too many dogs in Ireland at the moment without adding to the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Do you live in a home with a management company? If so a lot have a no pets policy

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Do you have a Balcony OP? When we lived in an apartment and were toilet training our dogs we bought a strip of artifical grass for out on the balcony and taught the pups to go to the toilet out on this. Obviously it had to be very well cleaned everyday to prevent it smelling. When our pups were vaccinated then we were able to start training them to go out on walks instead of the balcony, it takes time though.

Advertisement