Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step son wants to stay with me (divorce)

Options
  • 11-10-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a situation which is driving me insane...
    Me and my partner are separating , we're nor married.
    My son from my previous marriage lives with us, we have a daughter together and this summer his son (age 17) moved in with us.
    Now obviously my two children are staying with me. Me and my partner asked his 17 y.o. son where he want's to live, and he said he wants to live with me, not his father... That is so strange... because he moved in with us for he loved his dad so much (he was living with his grandparents). Did we make a mistake by asking him? Now his father feels betrayed and miserable... I'm in a light panic of raising 3 kids on my own. Is it even legal ? I am not his mother, nor his relative...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's legal, he can live with who he wants and asking him was probably a mistake but he probably wants to stay with his sibling(s, he probably considers your son a sibling now too). He'll be legal next year and your ex will still have to pay maintenence if he's in full time education.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jurga78

On one hand I understand that he will probably feel more secure and looked after living with me, on the other hand it's his dad for crying out loud ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know, but... you both asked! You should have been aware that living with you would be a probable answer and how his dad would have felt about that.

yeah, a mistake :/ and actually we thought he will choose his dad... Now we have what we have.
    Well I'm not the only single parent on Earth, thank God for the job I have... as I don't trust men in regards of maintenance. One month they pay, another they don't...
    Just need to calm my anxiety down :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

He's 17, so assumedly in 5th or 6th year in school. He is in a stable home with his siblings. Why would he want to move to the unknown.
    Maybe when your ex gets sorted and set up, he will want to move with him again, but for the moment I can totally understand why he wants to stay where he is, than commit to moving to an uncertain future.

• Advertisement

sillysmiles, thank's. It is simple, we (breaking up couple) exaggerate everything...
    We had another talk, the child is staying with me; sometimes we forget to put the needs of a child first, I'm glad we remembered that in time. He's actually in a TY, we're not Irish so he got held back.
    I just hope I'll manage. Being a step-mother is still a new thing for me and being a lone parent will add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fair play to you for taking him on. I hope it works out for you all.

Advertisement