Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very upset my dog was injured today :(

• 11-10-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

My dog ran off today after a bitch in heat. 30 minutes later a farmer called who owns the bitch and informed me my dog was hit by a car. I searched for my dog numb with worry and he shortly came hopping on three legs into my garden. His front pay looks to be extremely sore swollen a fresh blood tonight still trickling from the back of the lower part of his paw. Today I immediately rang my vet and he thought it may be severe bruising and rest for 48hrs may be all he needs. Tonight the dog was groaning a bit so I gave him a half a paracetamol. He is a Border Collie 2 yrs old. Roll on tomorrow hope he starts improving. I just put him out to his kennel and fed him. I asked the vet would it not be cruel to leave him untreated if he has broken a bone and ge assured me that it's ok. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Very sorry to hear about this op, but paracetemol is toxic to cats and dogs and can be fatal! I would be getting him straight to a vet asap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rommie wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about this op, but paracetemol is toxic to cats and dogs and can be fatal! I would be getting him straight to a vet asap

Paracetamol is fine for dogs in the correct dosage ;-)
    OP, what did your vet do to diagnose what exactly is wrong with your dog? Your post reads like he concluded what he concluded over the phone?!
    I'm assuming this is just me misreading your post, and that your vet has examined and x-rayed your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has your dog not seen a vet yet? You really need to take him to one if he hasn't. He could have internal injuries that you can't see.
    Also prob needs proper painkillers as well.
    Please don't leave this dog much longer without seeing a vet.

What sort of vet says to leave a dog with an untreated possible broken bone?? I'd be seriously looking for a different vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When my labrador had what we thought was a broken paw I rang the vet straight away, at about 8pm that night, he was very reluctant to actually see my dog. I wouldn't take no for an answer and the vet eventually saw my dog that night. I would be getting a new vet if I were you, you're dog is most likely in extreme pain. If you can, bring him inside where it's warm and comfortable for him he's probably in shock from whatever happened to him and will feel more secure with his family near him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

So many things wrong with the OP.

First things first, if that's what really happened with the vet then you need to get a new one. You need to step up and insist your dog gets the care he needs,he can't speak for himself.

Secondly why would you put an injured dog that you are worried about out in a kennel for the night? He could have internal injuries.

Third, neuter your dog if you can't keep him contained.

Hope he's okay this morning and this post isn't one set to wind us all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Update,
    I had a sleepless night of worry thankfully my dog is still alive but same condition as yesterday.

When he met me at his run he ate his food and then lay under the bushes and would not come out. I had to get him and lift him into the house while he wAs groaning in pain as I carried him.

I texted my same vet an hour ago saying I really want him to X-ray dog today and so far no reply.

If and when we go to a vet itwill be terrible trying to move him into and out of car, this is so distressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

You texted the vet? If and when you go to the vet?

Where are you so we can recommend a vet for you in the event that this is not a wind up which I'm starting to think it is.

Can you not ring another vet?? Seriously that poor dog needs a vet asap. How can you leave him like that?
    I would drive half the country if I needed to for my dog to get him to a vet.
    What you are doing is borderline cruelty leaving a dog in pain like that.
    Please get him to another vet. Just keep ringing one until you find one that will see him.
    That poor poor dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

(a) You didn't see him get hit by a car, so don't assume that's what actually happened.

(b) The leg injury and obvious pain might be the only thing you can see, what about internal injuries?

(c) Your dog needs a vet ASAP, and not the one that has refused to see you.

• Advertisement

My regular vet just spent the past two hours working on my dog.

He has two bad fractures on his front tibia and fibula, two wounds on rear of like that look similar to a bite mark according to vet and severe swelling. He has lots of medication now to ease the pain and a large plaster on to keep leg stable. We have to wait for swelling to go away I a few days before a decision is made on which of two options:

Option 1: a regular cast that may work but chances of success are 30-60%. Initial cost of that is €200 and over €100 every time he news a recast which varies depending on lots of reasons but could run up to €600 and still not work out.

Option 2: have metal plates inserted by an expert who is I Galway (I'm in Offaly) the plates are a much more efficient job, cost is approx €800.

I have to decide in next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Would UCD vet hospital in Dublin not be a better option for you? My boyfriends Siberian husky needed metal pins in his front leg after a severe break and they allowed my boyfriend to do a payment plan. Husky is now four years old you'd never know he had anything done with his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Just curious ...how did your dog just "run off" after a bitch in heat? Surely he doesn't just roam free?

youtube! wrote: »
    Just curious ...how did your dog just "run off" after a bitch in heat? Surely he doesn't just roam free?

He has a dog run, also a 50 metres long dog cable in garden. I let him loose to bring him into the house and in a split second I turned around and he vanished. My garden is one acre and not dog proof due to trees and bushes would make that task difficult.

The Dublin option sounds good id be very interested in that.

Why is the animals and pets forum full of smug assholes always waiting for a chance to knock a pet owners down sny chance they can get?

I won't follow this thread any longer goodbye if person who mentioned the Dublin option could pm me information I'd be most grateful otherwise I'll go to Galwway

People were concerned for your dog and replied to your thread to try and help you and the thanks they get is name calling? Lovely. In that case, I'm out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

EDIT: On second thoughts, you're not worth the ban from a forum I love.

Short, heavily edited version: Get the dog proper treatment, bring it into the house for it's recovery and perhaps consider not ever getting any more dogs, they all seem to meet suspicious painful early ends.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    He has a dog run, also a 50 metres long dog cable in garden. I let him loose to bring him into the house and in a split second I turned around and he vanished. My garden is one acre and not dog proof due to trees and bushes would make that task difficult.

The Dublin option sounds good id be very interested in that.

why is the animals and pets forum full of smug assholes always waiting for a chance to knock a pet owners down sny chance they can get?

I won't follow this thread any longer goodbye if person who mentioned the Dublin option could pm me information I'd be most grateful otherwise I'll go to Galwway

Well sorry if I come across that way but to be brutally honest you sound like a terrible owner!

Cocolola wrote: »
    EDIT: On second thoughts, you're not worth the ban from a forum I love.

Short, heavily edited version: Get the dog proper treatment, bring it into the house for it's recovery and perhaps consider not ever getting any more dogs, they all seem to meet suspicious painful early ends.

Cocolola you said nothing that would have resulted in a ban! It was a really good post and that link just said it all, the guy should be nowhere near dogs he hasn't the slightest clue how to care for them!!

Smug assholes, really? We are not the ones who left a poor dog in pain for 24 hours with fractures and Injuries.
    Excuse us for actually caring about the welfare of a poor seriously injured dog.
    Honestly, there was no excuse for doing what you did.
    Hopefully the dog is now being treated and isn't in as much pain as he was last night.

I knew I recognised the username of the OP.. :(

*sigh*

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Why is the animals and pets forum full of smug assholes always waiting for a chance to knock a pet owners down sny chance they can get?

IrishHomer,
    You have got plenty of help from this forum since you got your dog several years ago, and in fairness, the incredulity that posters had that (a) you didn't get your dog straight to the vet, and (b) your vet was rather blase about what could have been life-threatening injuries for all he or you knew, is absolutely understandable. Whether you agree with people's incredulity or not, you have broken a fundamental charter rule...if you've a problem, report it. Do not, however, diss the users of the forum, it's extremely disrespectful.

Now with mod hat off.
    I was about to ask you to clarify whether it was a front or hind leg, because you mention the "front" tib and fib are broken. But the tib and fib are in the hind leg.
    I was also going to recommend a super osteopathic vet who'd charge half of what you've been quoted, and as the owner of a dog who broke her tib and fib last year after being knocked down (on a Sunday afternoon, the above vet was in her surgery within one hour to admit my injured dog... Spot the difference, huh?), I would urge you to avoid the cast option, and go for the metalwork. This advice is given out of concern only for your dog.
    I don't feel much like helping you at all given the way you've thrown your toys out of the pram, but for your dog's sake only I'd suggest you contact Frances Harvey of Slane Veterinary Clinic.

Well sorry if I come across that way but to be brutally honest you sound like a terrible owner!
    the guy should be nowhere near dogs he hasn't the slightest clue how to care for them!!

YouTube, whilst I understand that people were more than a little shocked by the inaction of owner and the vet's response, your comments here are out of line. Attack the post, not the poster.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Post edited later to remove content about the op which, having done a bit more background reading, prompts me to change the latitude I was giving :(
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement