Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-fiber is just plain bad...

Options
  • 12-10-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

So I got efiber in the house a few weeks ago after receiving a number of brochures from eircom saying 100mb fiber was in my area.... Which is completely untrue. After signing up, I find i'm only getting 40mb. 

I was told this would be unshared bandwidth compared with the old copper connection, so I fail to understand how at peak times I can only get upto 8mb. I am unable to watch youtube and I'm the only one on the connection in the house. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

doctorg wrote: »
    So I got efiber in the house a few weeks ago after receiving a number of brochures from eircom saying 100mb fiber was in my area.... Which is completely untrue. After signing up, I find i'm only getting 40mb. 

I was told this would be unshared bandwidth compared with the old copper connection, so I fail to understand how at peak times I can only get upto 8mb. I am unable to watch youtube and I'm the only one on the connection in the house. 
    Hi doctorg

I am just looking at this. Efibre is advertised and sold on the basis of 'up to' 100mb speeds. The speed to individual addresses can vary depending on different factors primarily your distance to the efibre enabled cabinet you are connected to.

However I agreed 8mb peak time speed does appear to be slow. Can you have a look at the following self troubleshooting tips on boosting your speed in particular with regards to comparing speeds when testing wirelessly as against testing with a wired connection and with only one device connected. If there is a significant difference between the two of these it would suggest the issue may be wireless in nature in which case I would advise you to contact Technical Support on 1890 260 260 to troubleshoot your exisitng wireless set up

Boost your speed

I hope this is of help.

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

Hi doctorg

I am just looking at this. Efibre is advertised and sold on the basis of 'up to' 100mb speeds. The speed to individual addresses can vary depending on different factors primarily your distance to the efibre enabled cabinet you are connected to.

However I agreed 8mb peak time speed does appear to be slow. Can you have a look at the following self troubleshooting tips on boosting your speed in particular with regards to comparing speeds when testing wirelessly as against testing with a wired connection and with only one device connected. If there is a significant difference between the two of these it would suggest the issue may be wireless in nature in which case I would advise you to contact Technical Support on 1890 260 260 to troubleshoot your exisitng wireless set up

Boost your speed

I hope this is of help.

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Why not advertise 'up to' 1gbps ? It's still legally correct if that what you're trying to get at. I took eircom's offer on my connection in good faith. I was very happy with my connection with Vodafone, and that connection was alot stable than my current one whilst being alot better value.

It appears the line is unstable and there is a fault somewhere as I'm getting drops in speed. The connection is unreliable. Theoretically my line is well capable of 100mbps but I do not wish to get into that. 

So going by eircoms 40mbps, I should get 40mbps consistently without drops. It should not be starting at 5 then move it's way upto 40. It should start at 40 and stay 40, this is what a good connection is like, one is which is implemented by good engineers.  And I'm on Ethernet not wireless. 

It seems the connection is implemented in a way to allocate speed as demands increase. Which would indicate a shared line and no one will get 40 mbps at the same time. 

I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Hi doctorg

Boost your speed

I hope this is of help.

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Why not advertise 'up to' 1gbps ? It's still legally correct if that what you're trying to get at. I took eircom's offer on my connection in good faith. I was very happy with my connection with Vodafone, and that connection was alot stable than my current one whilst being alot better value.

It appears the line is unstable and there is a fault somewhere as I'm getting drops in speed. The connection is unreliable. Theoretically my line is well capable of 100mbps but I do not wish to get into that. 

So going by eircoms 40mbps, I should get 40mbps consistently without drops. It should not be starting at 5 then move it's way upto 40. It should start at 40 and stay 40, this is what a good connection is like, one is which is implemented by good engineers.  And I'm on Ethernet not wireless. 

It seems the connection is implemented in a way to allocate speed as demands increase. Which would indicate a shared line and no one will get 40 mbps at the same time. 

Thanks
    Hi doctorg

If after having looked at the link I previously posted, there has been no imrovement in speed/ reduction in drops etc I would recommend contacting Technical Support on 1890 260 260 anytime between 8am and 10pm. They will troubleshoot this with you and if are unable to resolve will escalate it to field engineers for further investigation.

thanks
    Colm

Hi doctorg

Boost your speed

I hope this is of help.

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Thanks
    Hi doctorg

If after having looked at the link I previously posted, there has been no imrovement in speed/ reduction in drops etc I would recommend contacting Technical Support on 1890 260 260 anytime between 8am and 10pm. They will troubleshoot this with you and if are unable to resolve will escalate it to field engineers for further investigation.

thanks
    Colm
    I've been in touch with technical support more than 5 times. I've also had an engineer come to my house to have a look.

Hi doctorg

Boost your speed

I hope this is of help.

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm,

Thanks
    Hi doctorg

thanks
    Colm
    I've been in touch with technical support more than 5 times. I've also had an engineer come to my house to have a look.
    Hi doctorg

OK- Can you send me a PM with the Account Number and I will review Tech Support notes on this and also ask for a Manager in Technical Support to look at this again.

thanks
    Colm

• Advertisement

I sent the PM Colm. Kindly look into this please as it's getting very frustrated. 

I sent the PM Colm. Kindly look into this please as it's getting very frustrated. 
    Hi doctorg

Thanks. I have sent this off to Managers in Technical Support and asked them to review this and advise, As soon as they reply to me I will advise you right away here,

Colm

Hi doctorg

Thanks. I have sent this off to Managers in Technical Support and asked them to review this and advise, As soon as they reply to me I will advise you right away here,

Colm
    Any updates? The connection is struggling to stream YouTube without buffering. 

Horrible weather outside also.

I never had such problems on my Vodafone connection....

Hi doctorg

Managers in Technical Support have advised that you should contact them on 1890 260 260 (8am to 10pm each day) to troubleshoot this with them.

thanks
    Colm

• Advertisement

Hi doctorg

Managers in Technical Support have advised that you should contact them on 1890 260 260 (8am to 10pm each day) to troubleshoot this with them.

thanks
    Colm
    Can you give me any reference number or someone who I should contact regarding this?

It gets frustrating having to explaining the situation to someone after the first 5 times and they do they same routine again and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Reading this thread just reminds me of how much I hate eircom, no one takes any responsibility and they just make an eejit out of you spinning you in circles over and over.

Ring them and log a complaint doctorg, and outline how they've just told you to do the same things over and over. Look for some money back as the service being provided isn't as advertised, maybe then you might see some progress, you won't get it here or ringing the "managers"on technical support. 

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I appreciate that it's not very funny for the OP but the above is almost comical, I'm paraphrasing here but....

Eircom: Ring technical support on 1890 260 260, they'll give you tech support, troubleshoot and if necessary arrange an engineers visit

OP: I've called tech support 5 times and already had an engineer out

Eircom: Hmm, ok we'll send this to tech support management and let you know what they say

OP: Any update?

Eircom: Yes the manager said you should call tech support on 1890 260 260 and they'll troubleshoot with you

OP: Bangs head on wall

Truly abysmal customer service, why not give the OP a call instead?

So, anyone from eircom care to respond? 

Got some solid speeds, would be nice if they were real speeds and not buffed up one...

I was 8mb Broadband with vodafone and I was streaming 1080p without any buffering ever. 
    I am now on a upto 100mb broadband with eircome and I'm buffering like hell. 

After a few speed tests, starting from 0.10 to 3.51 to this. 
    ZXl44gR.png?1

I see the reps have ignored this today (If I'm wrong and there has been some pming happening I apologise for this) are the reps here aware that potential customers read these forums? I find this especially disappointing as when I had a problem the reps on here were great maybe I just got lucky.

I didn't get any pm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

get out while ya can op... customer service in eircom is the worst ive encounterd in my life..and im 40 yrs old ... total ring a rosy affair,around and around and around... nobody takes responsibility  

If you're going to ignore the customers that you can't be arsed to deal with, what exactly is the point of this forum you all may as well be on the phone lines.

To keep everyone updated following this thread. Since the reps here aren't willing to respond, I called up tech support again. 

As advised by eircom rep, I asked to be connected to a manager. But the gentleman on the phone didn't want to do that and decided he can help. Regardless, I explained the situation to him ~7th time. He says it's a wireless issue, I tell I never had this problem with my Vodafone connection. I used to be able to steam 1080p without buffering. But he insists it's a wireless issue. 

So... I had to placed a TP link order with him. Which is due to arrive next week approx. 

But It's not a wireless issue, eircom can't seem to get that inside their head. I connected to the modem via ethernet and same buffering while streaming. Now unless Eircom wants to say YouTube data centers are incompetent and can't transfer 1080p anybetter to Fiber line then I would just point the obvious that the fault is with eircom. 

Also, I want everyone to know that speedtest's are biased with Eircom. It's very easy to manipulate them to show 100mbps when in reality your only getting 2mbps. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

To keep everyone updated following this thread. Since the reps here aren't willing to respond, I called up tech support again. 

As advised by eircom rep, I asked to be connected to a manager. But the gentleman on the phone didn't want to do that and decided he can help. Regardless, I explained the situation to him ~7th time. He says it's a wireless issue, I tell I never had this problem with my Vodafone connection. I used to be able to steam 1080p without buffering. But he insists it's a wireless issue. 

So... I had to placed a TP link order with him. Which is due to arrive next week approx. 

But It's not a wireless issue, eircom can't seem to get that inside their head. I connected to the modem via ethernet and same buffering while streaming. Now unless Eircom wants to say YouTube data centers are incompetent and can't transfer 1080p anybetter to Fiber line then I would just point the obvious that the fault is with eircom. 

Also, I want everyone to know that speedtest's are biased with Eircom. It's very easy to manipulate them to show 100mbps when in reality your only getting 2mbps. 

Its a farce of a company it really is..apalling customer service for years

• Advertisement

@Eircom ;

I would like to be removed from my contract. 

j25Ra1b.png

guwQbri.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi doctorg

thanks
    Colm
    If you advise a customer to contact a manager then surely you should supply a number for this manager.  It is inevitable that the staff will refuse to connect a customer to a manager.  Its  hardly rocket science to figure that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

exact same issue as you when I got vodafone fibre earlier this year.   supposed to get min 40mbps uncongested, was getting as low as 400-500kbps at peak periods.   engineers came out twice (same 2 guys, old eircom guys), no resolution. I work in IT so had all basic troubleshooting done 

no, its not wifi, I get same issue on cables of which Ive tried 2 of. 
    no, its not the router, Ive got the issue with the 2 of them youve sent out since I logged the first call.
    no, its not my laptop, I tried 2 laptops and 2 iphones.   
    I dont care your end is showing line clear, do you want me to send you speedtest results again?

so I said I have all my speed test results printed out, Im cancelling my contract and I'll see you in court if you try to get any money back from me, when I'll also have an independent engineers report showing its not all the local things you say could be causing it, and I'll charge you for the independent report too.

So vodafone said lets try an engineer again,  different guy this time,  after 10 seconds explaining he said I think I know what it is, was a cabling fault coming into the house, whatever the little box is just inside the door, he opened it, seen a loose cable,  20 seconds to reseat the cable  once he found it.   getting 40mbps + all the time ever since.

Moral of the story?  you have to get lucky with their engineers.   this isnt anecdotal, its real.  Fancy that, in this day and age, you have to get lucky to get a good service.   

BTW, I never blamed vodafone once,  it smacked of a hardware problem from day one,  I always found their tech guys courteous and prompt and appreciative of the situation.  theyre at the mercy of quality of eircoms engineers too.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Eircom sound like the worst utilities provider ever. I can't imagine I will ever consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Saipanne wrote: »
    Eircom sound like the worst utilities provider ever. I can't imagine I will ever consider them.
    Sounds familiar alright,i switched to eircom back in may and it was a botch job from day one and still is.
    I hope for your own sake you never have to deal with them...worst of the worst in dealing with their customers..I have been through the mill big time with them..hours spent on the phone gettin the runaround.. Four no shows by the eircom 'engineers' while I stayed home like a full eejit waiting for them... They seem to just laugh at you when call customer service to try get some answers...Anyway i cant wait for my contract to expire so i can go back to vodafone where i had a lot better service,coverage and most of all a bit of respect for their customers.. Avoid eircom for yere own sake as i'm sure is evident from the postings on this thread!!

Btw mb's and coverage still sh1te after 6 months of complaints!!

Speeds soo fast that it need to stop and pause like this for 6 hours on any thing...

PuqHmwC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Sounds familiar alright,i switched to eircom back in may and it was a botch job from day one and still is.
    I hope for your own sake you never have to deal with them...worst of the worst in dealing with their customers..I have been through the mill big time with them..hours spent on the phone gettin the runaround.. Four no shows by the eircom 'engineers' while I stayed home like a full eejit waiting for them... They seem to just laugh at you when call customer service to try get some answers...Anyway i cant wait for my contract to expire so i can go back to vodafone where i had a lot better service,coverage and most of all a bit of respect for their customers.. Avoid eircom for yere own sake as i'm sure is evident from the postings on this thread!!

Btw mb's and coverage still sh1te after 6 months of complaints!!

Wow,Eircom sound like a nightmare!Do they actually reply to any of the comments made on here?,Was thinking of getting efibre myself till i read all this. Thanks for the heads up guys. Off to vodafone!!!

Called up cancellation since no one here wants to respond.

Explained to the agent that I wish to be released from my contract, he says he wants to check with technical support, Then never came back. 

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Explained to the agent that I wish to be released from my contract, he says he wants to check with technical support, Then never came back. 

Did they say if there are any penalties to get out of contract??Surely if the service is unacceptable there cant be.Lookin to get out too. They couldn't be bothered to reply to their customers concerns and queries posted on all these threads.

• Advertisement

Did they say if there are any penalties to get out of contract??Surely if the service is unacceptable there cant be.Lookin to get out too. They couldn't be bothered to reply to their customers concerns and queries posted on all these threads.
    Well he never came back to me, he put me on hold for 25 minutes. And there was no song playing either so i don't know if it was hold

Advertisement