Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Fires

• 12-10-2014 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭

Took mine out a few years ago when I got a 600 euro bord gais bill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Did you throw it in the fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jaysus thats gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Are ya freezing now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is this why you're staying in on Saturday nights now creating facinating threads on Boards?

BTW, well done. I hate gas fires. You can't beat a real fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

And?? Did you forget to switch the gas off?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Make the switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is everyone in the country on LSD tonight except me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Is Sir Osis of Liver drunk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The cold weather and lack of naked legs do drive them crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Expecto Petroleum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm as sober as a horse on a ski lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They smoking turf maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

It took a big bill to realise that? The guy installing ours in the 90s told us that. Ie. use it for show not for heat. Told him not to worry, we knew the score, that we only intended using it a few days a year around Christmas each year for a bit of Xmas/Winter atmosphere.

Then stopped using it at all when we realised a years worth of dust and fluff burning stank the house out. Real fire in the next house that we light at Christmas. Sure it's more mess to clean than the gas but it's only a few days over Christmas.

Thus I'd warn anyone not to fit a gas fire EVEN if they only intended using it for the visual at Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Took mine out a few years ago...

Ya durty yoke. Did you put it away yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Bought our now home off plans back in the mad years ( small house , big price ) and the first question I asked the EA was is there an open fire to which they confirmed yes.
    After getting the keys we walked into the living room to see a horrible fireplace surround stuck on to the wall to take a gas fire and no chimney !
    10 years on ( and many a cold winter for me and my family ) and I have just finished the extension to the house to accommodate our new large Stanley stove which is burning right now !

You cannot beat a real fire !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

thought this was about fires that are great craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Audrey001

Hi I am looking for some advice on gas fire insert fitting. I have recently purchased some new iron back fireplaces to discover I can't use them without have my chimney re lined for an open fire. We do not want to have this done and have decided to try to convert the exciting fireplaces with a gas fire insert. Has anyone got any advice on how to go about this cost effectively and who I could use to do this. We are in Dublin City.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Those flame effect things use crazy amounts of gas. The cheaper/older fashioned ones are better and pretty cheap/efficient to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Audrey001

I am aware they are not as economical to run but haveing my chimneys relined for a coal fire is not an option. Just looking for advice on the best way to convert my current fireplaces with a gas insert and what work I will need done etc. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Audrey001 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for some advice on gas fire insert fitting. I have recently purchased some new iron back fireplaces to discover I can't use them without have my chimney re lined for an open fire. We do not want to have this done and have decided to try to convert the exciting fireplaces with a gas fire insert. Has anyone got any advice on how to go about this cost effectively and who I could use to do this. We are in Dublin City.

Thanks

Sorry, this is the fire removal thread

Maybe try one of the forums in the Home and Garden section

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wait until he finds out he left the immersion on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Its true what they're saying. This place has gone into decline.......

An AH thread about gas fires without a Father Ted reference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

wtf?

I don't remember starting this thread.
    Must have had carbon monoxide poisoning at the time from that sh1tty gas fire.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't like gas fires. They always tire me out and give me a headache. You just cannot beat a real fire!

Sadly, in my current place I don't have a fireplace at all.:( But the next house I buy WILL have a real fire. That is a must!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Seems like this gas fire thread re-ignited 2 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We have one as we couldn't be arsed making and cleaning a fireplace half the year.

We've a combined gas /electricity bill and certainly haven't noticed the fire being massively expensive to use, albeit it's only used in the evenings.

600 for gas alone sounds mad. Our biggest 2 monthly bill for winter is never much over 500 and thats running one fire, radiators and electricity charges for a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

And not one reference to burning the house down to keep warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have one it's not that hard on gas but it's a bit noisy and the effect is only average.

I'd be thinking about a gas stove to be honest, seals the room up better when not in use and would think it heats the room better too.

Plan to price having our fire insert converted to gas stove sometime in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's one here but in the almost 2 years I've been in the place I've never used it. Bit odd to find a fireplace-effect in an apartment anyway I think? Just takes up space and the place is badly enough laid out as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there anything to be said for another mass.

Oh I love a good mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Those flame effect things use crazy amounts of gas. The cheaper/older fashioned ones are better and pretty cheap/efficient to run.
    I have an open gas fire and I've never had a bill like the OP's. It goes on for a couple of hours in the evening to heat the place up, then it's off.

I'd love a real fire, but it'd be a lot of work to get the gas out of the fireplace.

kylith wrote: »
    I have an open gas fire and I've never had a bill like the OP's. It goes on for a couple of hours in the evening to heat the place up, then it's off.

I'd love a real fire, but it'd be a lot of work to get the gas out of the fireplace.
    Wasn't alot of work to remove it.
    Paid a RGI €30 to blank off the gas feed and did the rest myself.Fitted an insert stove in its place.
    Well toasty now.
    (Lugging bags of coal around is a bit of a pain in the arse though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Paid a RGI €30 to blank off the gas feed and did the rest myself.Fitted an insert stove in its place.
    Well toasty now.

All the works and the boiler are behind the fire, hidden in the fireplace. I'd have to get them all moved, a wall-mounted boiler put in, and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well toasty now.
    Did you check the chimney was lined or whatever it is that means you can use something other than gas ?

Did you check the chimney was lined or whatever it is that means you can use something other than gas ?
    I originally had an oil fired system with a back boiler/open fire.
    When I changed to gas they removed the back boiler.The gas boiler is in the shed/garage.
    I now have a gas system to heat the rads and hot water and a non-boiler insert stove.

Advertisement