Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese evening course

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is 80 euro a good price for 8 weeks (2hrs/week) introductory Chinese evening course? Has anyone done it before? Is it difficult to learn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

iglipigle wrote: »
    Is 80 euro a good price for 8 weeks (2hrs/week) introductory Chinese evening course? Has anyone done it before? Is it difficult to learn?

我认为这不符合作为一个讨价还价的警报

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Chinese is meant to be extremely difficult to learn for western born people as the language is tonal. meaning the same sound may have different meanings depending on the tone of your voice. ..... but don't let that put you off I'd love to learn it my self. if I knew that course was decent I'd be tempted myself

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Udemy sometimes have courses for free. There are three up now. Might be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

As a Hong Konger myself, I know both Cantonese and Mandarin, Chinese is not easy to learn, not at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

iglipigle wrote: »

Chinese is ok to learn (in absolute contrast with what people before me said), but you will get nowhere in 16 hours of class time. If you are set on learning it, go to China!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Chinese is ok to learn (in absolute contrast with what people before me said), but you will get nowhere in 16 hours of class time. If you are set on learning it, go to China!

Moving to China while it's the best option isn't Always practical.
    8 weeks is a good starter to see if you like the language.
    You can then have the joy of going into your local take away and calling someone a prostitute while thinking you're ordering sweet and sour :)
    It's a hard language and not many westerners can get their tongues around such a tonal language.
    I worked in hong Kong for a man who was English and president of the HK translation society but even he admitted that while he spoke formal cantonese and mandarin, his daughter spoke it coloqually having gone to a local Chinese school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 iglipigle

I tried rosetta stone app on my tablet to learn Chinese briefly but found I missed human to human interaction part when learning a new language.

I gona to give Udemy a try since it is free anyway. But I guess it would be the same type of things looking at screen all the time kind of boring

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Bargain alerts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

kingbob387 wrote: »
    As a Hong Konger myself, I know both Cantonese and Mandarin, Chinese is not easy to learn, not at all!

Which one would you advise people to learn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Vinnie L wrote: »
    Which one would you advise people to learn ?

Mandarin would be the better to learn, it is used by a lot more people.

But Cantonese is still a great language :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement