Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies and Water

Options
  • 12-10-2014 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

our baby boy is now 10 months old, all fine with him. was taken off breast at 7 months and has been on bottles since. Now taking 3 X 8oz bottles a day and solids etc

Thing is he will not take water, we have tried about feckin 8 bloody sippy cups and he refuses to take any decent amount, he might take a drop or 2 but nothing worth talking about.

Reason I mentioned bottles above is that he is taking his milk bottles fine etc so he can actually drink from a bottle. Im kinda thinking there is alot of water in the milk bottles anyways.

but as we know , nothing beats a bit of pure water

Does anybody have any idea how much water a 10 month old baby should be taking daily, I have no clue, if it should be 0.5 oz or 5 oz etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Have you tried giving water in his bottle rather than the sippy cups?

Or you could try putting in a little bit of squeezed fruit in with the water to flavour it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

my man flat out refused water for ages, but eventually started to take a bit. We gave him water out of a bottle for a while, before he started to use a sippy cup. He is at present getting great gas out of drinking water straight out of an adults cup or bottle, so I'm going with it, as it means he's getting some in, even if it's messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi,

our baby boy is now 10 months old, all fine with him. was taken off breast at 7 months and has been on bottles since. Now taking 3 X 8oz bottles a day and solids etc

Thing is he will not take water, we have tried about feckin 8 bloody sippy cups and he refuses to take any decent amount, he might take a drop or 2 but nothing worth talking about.

Reason I mentioned bottles above is that he is taking his milk bottles fine etc so he can actually drink from a bottle. Im kinda thinking there is alot of water in the milk bottles anyways.

but as we know , nothing beats a bit of pure water

Does anybody have any idea how much water a 10 month old baby should be taking daily, I have no clue, if it should be 0.5 oz or 5 oz etc.

I swear I could sell sippy cups I have so many! We bought literally every 1 and had no joy until we bought the nuby one that is in aldi at the mo! How is your baby's number 2? I was told if it is hard or baby is constipated then they might not be getting enough fluids.
    Did you try the nuk one that looks like a bottle? We had no joy with it but a lot of people rave about it!

We tried all the fancy ones from different brands, but the only one he'll take is the really basic simple little Tommee Tippee one! Millem weren't you going to try the doidy cup? Any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Have you tried giving water in his bottle rather than the sippy cups?

Or you could try putting in a little bit of squeezed fruit in with the water to flavour it?

Thanks, yep tried both them :)

• Advertisement

And have you tried giving him milk in the beakers/sippy cups? If you could find one he'll drink milk from, he'll be more likely to drink water from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We tried all the fancy ones from different brands, but the only one he'll take is the really basic simple little Tommee Tippee one! Millem weren't you going to try the doidy cup? Any good?

Yes we got the doidy cup and he went crazy if you put it near his mouth!!! But yet he would drink out of the anabel karmel one with no lid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I remember spooning water into our first :( Took a good while for her to use the sippy cup, she would only take water on the spoon - think she thought it was food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Crikey I don't think we gave our little lady water til she was older. She must have been nearly 18 months I'd say. No rush on it. She was taking milk in the sippy cup for a good while before we tried water.

I'd leave it and try again in a few months.

Also, please don't go for fruit juices, even diluted they are so bad for baby teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's probably something that he has to get used to. Our little lad is also 10 months and he's been drinking water for a while. But I remember when he first started he wouldn't drink it at all. We tried different things like fruit teas to get him to drink but it didn't make a difference. But over time he has started to drink more water. We have bottles with handles on the sides which we leave on the table. He takes it himself now after every meal without us giving it to him, plus he goes looking for it at other times during the day when he is playing. It took a few months for this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We had the same problem, she couldn't seem to drink for the sippy cups. We bought one of these in boots and she has no problem now.

https://nuby.com/en-GB/nuby/cups-spouts/9900/

Advertisement