Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monument Valley

Options
  • 04-04-2014 8:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This superb little game is available on an App Store near you right now, assuming you have an iOS device that you're physically close to at the moment.

There's definitely strong vibes of the Echochrome games here, but I found the aesthetics and mood far more interesting here than the clinical presentation of those Playstation titles. The gameplay isn't as complex, but it is extremely intuitive and rewarding as you mess around with perspective in a variety of inventive settings. Late puzzles offer some gently rewarding challenge without ever feeling frustrating.

Another comparison is Journey - it has that same sort of mysteriousness, and the simple mechanics are greatly enhanced by superb visuals and sound - as well as a barebones but intriguing narrative. In the encounters
    with the Totem, one might be poignantly reminded of a certain Companion Cube.

You'll dust it off quickly - I got through it in an hour or two. But it's a rock solid running time that doesn't overextend its welcome, and provides a steady stream of fresh ideas, imaginative locales and pleasant surprises. A great, modest counter to those increasingly vocal arguments that mobile games are little more than cynical timewasters.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but did anyone play it? Very well executed game, little bit short for my liking but I enjoyed every minute of it. Reminds me of isometric Fez.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fantastic game. I played through it with my niece. There is paid DLC due in the next few months that doubles the game's size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah I have it, not finished it but it is a nice little game. Not one for arcade addicts, but more a chilled puzzler.

nice little game with it's own style and a couple of nice ideas but too short and maybe a "little" too hyped. Perfectly suited to phones and tablets though with it's controls. I find the touch controls crap for more arcade style games for the most part.

Monument Valley will be getting an expansion soon called Forgotten Shores

If you are a fan of Monument Valley from ustwo then you will be happy to know that an expansion for the game will be making its way to Android soon. Officially called Forgotten Shores, this expansion will bring eight new chapters to the game for players to work their way through.

Currently Monument Valley has eight chapters which means the addition of all this new upcoming content will essentially double the overall chapters available. In order to show off the upcoming update, ustwo has released a preview video showcasing some of the new chapters players will face as well as some of the new ideas that the developers have added to the game, some of which were left out of the original release.

This expansion will arrive as a paid DLC which means the original game will be updated and the expansion will appear as an IAP. Right now the price for the expansion hasn't been announced nor has the date for the Android release. The iOS version is slated for November 13th, 2014 and ustwo has mentioned that the Android version will arrive shortly after the iOS launch. We will post an update when it does become available.

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/8011-wetebsi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gave the first couple of new levels a go and it's an expansion in the best sense. The puzzles already seem more involved and challenging, and there are some fresh (literal) twists in perspective. The kind of add-on that gives DLC a good name :)

I heard that they got a flood of 1 star reviews in the App Store for not releasing the update for free.

Some people are assholes.

The main game is free app of the day on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mr E wrote:
    The main game is free app of the day on amazon

got it thanks. will buy the expansion if I like it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Downloaded it from the Amazon app today. Anyone playing this on a Nexus 7? The game display is stretched for me, meaning I can't see or select the top square to finish that intro level. Tried portrait and landscape but no difference. Maybe it's just my device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement