Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for iPhone 6/6 plus

Options
  • 12-10-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I received my iPhone 6 plus on Friday and it is amazing but expensive too. I really want to insure it. Does anyone know what are the best gadget insurance companies out there.
    Thanks

Comments

I insured mine with gadgetinsurance.com, 8 euro a month for all cover including loss (iPhone 6). Insurance through my network would have been 13 euro and I think it's no less dodgy from a pay out point of view as the companies the networks use can be a dodgy as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

In insured mine with gadgetinsurance.com, 8 euro a month for all cover including loss (iPhone 6). Insurance through my network would have been 13 euro and I think it's no less dodgy from a pay out point of view as the companies the networks use can be a dodgy as any.

Thanks I was thinking of them alright as I have my iPad insured with them but I just wanted to see if there are any other better alternatives but I think I will properly insure it with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

As always, ya gotta read the fine print, but even still Gadget insurance seems the best option to me.

But, from doing my research, if you insure it for €8 per month and you lose it / it gets stolen etc, you'll have to pay a €50 excess as well as paying for the first 12 months of your insurance up front before you claim anything.

So, just so ya know, iPhone 6+ 64GB is €8 per month to insure.

You lose it in month 3 after making 2 payments of €8 each.

They'll replace it but first you have to pay €50 + (€8 X 10 remaining months = €80) = €130 total.

Since the replacement phone would cost you €899 from Apple to get, I'd still say Gadget insurance is worth it but just be aware of those hidden stipulations like the one above

Locomotion wrote: »
    (€8 X 10 remaining months = €80)

I'd missed this bit but I suppose its understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Locomotion wrote: »
    As always, ya gotta read the fine print, but even still Gadget insurance seems the best option to me.

But, from doing my research, if you insure it for €8 per month and you lose it / it gets stolen etc, you'll have to pay a €50 excess as well as paying for the first 12 months of your insurance up front before you claim anything.

So, just so ya know, iPhone 6+ 64GB is €8 per month to insure.

You lose it in month 3 after making 2 payments of €8 each.

They'll replace it but first you have to pay €50 + (€8 X 10 remaining months = €80) = €130 total.

Since the replacement phone would cost you €899 from Apple to get, I'd still say Gadget insurance is worth it but just be aware of those hidden stipulations like the one above

Thanks for a very good detailed answer. Do you only have to pay the rest of the insurance for the year if your phone gets lost or stolen not if its damaged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

nokia211 wrote: »
    Thanks for a very good detailed answer. Do you only have to pay the rest of the insurance for the year if your phone gets lost or stolen not if its damaged?

Sadly, yes you would have to pay the rest of the insurance for the year

'
    11. If you pay your insurance monthly and make a claim, you need to have paid a total premium amount equal to 12 monthly premiums. If this is not the case, you
    will be required to pay the difference before we will pay your claim.'

I also noticed that if you make a claim within the first 3 months of your policy, then the excess is actually an extra €45.

So again, from the above example, if you lose your phone in month 3, you'd have to pay (€8 X 10) + €50 + €45 = €175

Again, still cheaper than paying €899 for a new phone from Apple. That's why I went with it

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

From a cursory check protectyourbubble.com is €6.49/month for the 64Gb iP6. Haven't delved into the fine print yet tho.

Advertisement